• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 AIR BRAKES ...... YEEEEEP!

jamasonodom

I finally hooked the foot valve up and now air brakes. I only have the first rear axle completed but the rest is coming quickly. And to b honest not that bad to do. It took one scraped school bus and bam air brakes. This old girl lives to pull and drag school buses out of ditches and back to the shop. I got pictures will have to post and i will have a complete brake system for sale too.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these drum brakes? Did you use the original deuce axles? If you didn't use the deuce axle how did you retain the same gear ratio for the front axle? The stock deuce brakes work good for me but it is always neat seeing air brakes.

jamasonodom

Oh no i wouldnt dare get rid of those rockwells! The drums are the same diameter as the school buses. So i removed the original brake pans. (cut the rivets out with torch) and i welded on the air brake brackets after a few mods

jamasonodom

The brakes are s cam. Today is the day i needed these brakes. It rained last night so this morning was a bus pulling day! as i was leaving the rescue of the third bus some fool pulls out in front of us on this crazy muddy road..... The brakes worked GREAT! as far as these stupid pictures i cant get them off my phone. im still trying so give me a few! thanks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Would be nice to have those pics uploaded here instead of linked. I'm guessing you've got a smart phone that you're trying to upload direct? You'll need to use tapatalk if that's your means of accessing the site. iOS and Android have issues with file permissions when it comes to allowing their browsers access to files to upload.

Section8

Sounds cool. Would love to know more about the air brake set up. Bus donor used, modifications necessary, and of course pictures once you figure out how to do that.
If a guy was handy and has read the threads about putting 5 ton axles under a deuce, a company nearby sells S cam set ups complete with maxies. Costly but also an option for those who have the money and the gotta have its.

jamasonodom

Hey the best thing about a project like this is..... A scrap bus cost between 500-1000 and now a days u can scrap it (after u rob all the brake stuff) for around 1200. Now i work in this countys bus shop so this project has cost $0 so far! Loven it!!

F18hornetM

Really neat project. very interesting.
I will say this about deuce brakes. I unloaded off a trailer my M813 that didn't run and had no brakes. We used a piece of pipe with chain ran through it chained tight between pintle hook on M35 and front of M813. Pulled it slowly off trailer and pulled probably 1/4 mile. probably never got over 10-15 mph but the M35 had no trouble stopping the M813 which weighs probably 10,000 more lbs than the M35. Of course it was slow speed and I would not do this down the highway or city streets, but does say something for the brakes on the M35.

rustystud

A couple of things need mentioning about converting to air-brakes. One, you will need more and larger air tanks (at least 2 ). Two, you will need R-14 valves for each axle. Three, you will need several one-way check valves in the system. Four, you will need an air dryer like the Bendix AD-9 or the Haldex PureAir . Five, you will need an application valve ( brake valve) and it will need to be sized to the rig. Six, you will need a new air-compressor. One that has a higher CFM rating and longer duty cycle . These are just the start of what you will need to convert to an all air-brake system. The cost will be considerable.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks