• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Alignment?

rat3208

Hello every one I'm kinda new and this is my first post. I have a 1966 m35 and the outsides of both of my front tires are wearing. does anyone know how to align these? I have the TMs but can't find info. please help.

Whitey

It's called "cupping", and happens on frontend NDT's on Deuces. Not sure about aftermarket tires. Do you have stock NDT's or radials, etc.?

rat3208

I have 9.00x20 tires on it. they don't seem to be cupping,the tread is still wearing even. They're just wearing more on the outside then the inside.

amaverick88

When you say the outside versus iinside do you mean the edges vs center or inside vs outside? If it is one side of the tire I would think it would be an alignment issues, at. Least with civilian vehicles but with the deuce I am not sure of. It may even be the same.

rat3208

center being the "ridge" in the middle of the tread, the "paddles" on the outside of the ridge on both front tires are wearing more then the inside. Initially I thought it was a camber adjustment but there is none, doesn't seem to be any caster either, it looks like it's all built into the knuckles and springs. The only adjustment is the steerage so I'm gonna check that tomorrow.

Does anyone have the TM for toe-in specs? I've looked but the TM I saw didn't go into steering only wheel and tube maintenence. From the index steering would've came next but the online TM didn't go up to that

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does anyone have the TM for toe-in specs? I've looked but the TM I saw didn't go into steering only wheel and tube maintenence. From the index steering would've came next but the online TM didn't go up to that
Anything with a 20inch wheel or bigger the toe is set to 0 if you have it on a alignment rack

Robin Strong

I just have it at the house. I noticed the outside of the wheels wearing more than the inside. And looking at the front of the truck from a distance the front wheels look like they are have toe-in
My toe in was way off. Tires wore out to fast. Looked it up and heres what I found.

Set parking break and chlk one set of duals both ways. Engine off. Safety first!

From flat surface measure 18" vertical on front and back of both tires make straight, horizonal line there.
Try to find centers of both front and back of both tires. The more accurate the better, I used a sharpened piece of welding soap stone.
Gonna need a helper now. Measure from x to x on front, record it, repeat for back.
Should be about .060-.080" smaller dim on front of wheels to back, or about 1/16"

If not loosen both tie rod ends an turn tie rod to get desired dim.

My road handling improved and tire ware went to normal. It was off over 1"... Yikes 😳
Hope this helps.
It did for me. Ymmv.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks