• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 batteries???

commandojd

I recently purchased a Deuce and a half truck and the 2 mill spec 24volt batteries decided to take a dump...... What type of batteries could I replace the old ones with?????
thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Group 31 batteries are a great replacement.

Interstate Batteries usually have refurbs for ~$50

There are hundreds of threads discussing the pros and cons. Advanced Search is your friend.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I recently purchased a Deuce and a half truck and the 2 mill spec 24volt batteries decided to take a dump...... What type of batteries could I replace the old ones with?????
thanks
EACH battery is 12V conected so you get 24V

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got some group 27 from Walmart for my A3. The group 31 would not fit in the plastic battery box, To long. The group 31's will fit in the metal battery box.
Get as many CCA as you can find.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you use different sized batteries from the originals use some 2X4's cut to fit to separate the batteries and keep them from moving around. You also need to secure them so they will stay put in case of a roll over.

I use Advanced Auto batteries (my son gets a discount there) but any high CCA will work.

Make sure you get a set where you can hook up the cables without crossing them.

You may need to custom make a "dogbone" to hook the pos to the neg.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure the 6TLs have gone bad? I would recommend checking the cable connections and charging system before replacing the batteries. Will the batteries take a charge from a charger?

A

A/C Cages

I use Optima batteries for everything around here, will they work good for a deuce too? Im asking cause I have 6 laying around not being used anymore.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Optima batteries for everything around here, will they work good for a deuce too? Im asking cause I have 6 laying around not being used anymore.
If the Optima batteries will fit in the battery box, cable connections are OK, and they have enough CCA, they will work. Optima batteries come in different models. Orbitals are smaller dimension than 6TLs so you would need to secure them.

A

A/C Cages

Yup, 800cc and I can make anything fit. I have a big hammer, lol
I can manufacture a custom made box. I was just wondering if the Optimas will hold up to the deuce... I know they last forever in my Hummer and our racecars, But never tried one to a deuce.

usmctopgun

I just got some group 27 from Walmart for my A3. The group 31 would not fit in the plastic battery box, To long. The group 31's will fit in the metal battery box.
Get as many CCA as you can find.
We currently have 3 A3s, and 2 A2, all of which have Interstate group 31s in them. Flip the screws on the pull out/lock down handles so the threads face out and its a nice snug fit in the plastic battery trays. My .02 Can't beat factory seconds from Interstate for $45 each.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We currently have 3 A3s, and 2 A2, all of which have Interstate group 31s in them. Flip the screws on the pull out/lock down handles so the threads face out and its a nice snug fit in the plastic battery trays. My .02 Can't beat factory seconds from Interstate for $45 each.

Where can you find the factory seconds..........? Do you have a link..?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
usmctopgun, Good idea!!! Always good to have a 2nd set of eyes. Thanks!!!

This is what I made for the group 27's I just installed. Will try the 31's next go around. Batteries here in AZ just do not last very long: 2-3 years at best.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I tried getting 2 group 31 batteries in my plastic battery box and they just dont want to go in.... i have no idea why they wont when you say they will go in... another person told me they would fit too with the screws flipped and such. does anybody have measurments of their plastic battery box? i measured the ends of the battery box (corner to corner) and it is about 1/2 inch too short for the group 31s i have... i have a source for the batteries and would also be great to put a deep cycle battery in there for my 12 volt alternator... aua

Its not rocket science and i dont know whats going on... could my batteries be a half inch longer than some? they all should be standard dimension... who knows whats going on...

Darwin T

i have optimas with the addapter plates for 2+ years and it works fine. i used the dual starting and deep cycle blue top for the extra power for the radio and intercom equipment (that i have in my parts room not installed in 2+ years). but it still runs great. i am working on installing 2 more optimas in another one of my deuces right now. i put the plastic battery box together last night and fould out no j hooks. ordered j hooks today. then the install.

Keith_J

Optimas may start a deuce but they are far from optimum if you have extended cranking required. Cold cranking amperes is based on the surface area of the plates. Optimas are made of very thin plates, meaning high surface area so they work. For a while.

Where they lack is amp-hours. The red tops are only 45 amp-hour. About the same as a group 51 :shock:. They also are not tolerant of over-charging because of the absorbed glass mat (non-flooded cell) and recombinant technologies.

I had a red top in my turbo diesel. It worked as long as it wasn't under 40 F outside. In -20 F, it didn't have the capacity to run the glow plugs for 45 seconds and spin the engine fast enough to start. Even with a coolant heater, it just wouldn't cut it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks