• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 block heater

greenjeepster

Tm: your own measurements show heat going to the radiator. My measurements show heat going to the radiator.

When you put a heater into the coolant system it will heat to a peak temp for that wattage and then level off... I am using that feature to measure radiator loss by occluding the bottom radiator hose with blocks of wood and a c-clamp and at that point the water temp rises above the previous peak and the difference in temp is how you calculate % loss at the radiator.

Yes any heater in any location will have loss at the radiator. I am predicting that some locations will be more than others. The benefit of efficiency is that instead of risking your truck by leaving it plugged in all night you can put a timer on the cord and only turn it on 1-2 hrs before needing the truck and it will reach peak temp in that amount of time.

You are right... people are giving bad information... It started with the person who said they are only trying to be helpful and suggested putting a heater in the waterpump in the first place. Not even considering why the TM: said to put the personnel heater line into the waterpump and suggesting that people move it. The application was taken from a small car gas engine application which I will address the issues with making that leap Later. Nice of him to be helpful and to share his information, but they I have to ask why he is selling a 25.00 heater to all of us for 55.00?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
T........................ but they I have to ask why he is selling a 25.00 heater to all of us for 55.00?
Same reason 7-11 sells things at twice the price Walmart does.
Convenience & service.

I don't hold it against him, being frugal (ok, a cheapskate) I searched the world wide web for the best deal.
That took time and effort, time is money they say.

greenjeepster

Same reason 7-11 sells things at twice the price Walmart does.
Convenience & service.
Convenience can be free. He doesn't have to sell a heater for 100% above MSRP. This is a forum, the purpose being to help each other out. If you wanted a block heater you could post a thread and I bet a dozen members will offer the part number for any heater you want...at absolutely no cost for the information.

Just my take on it. I am not faulting him for making money. If the consumer isn't smart enough to realize that he is selling a generic aftermarket part that fits 100s of different motors then I guess they are deserving of having to pay twice what they can get it at the local Napa for.

turning it on a couple of hrs before starting is ok if its not cold.(0 farenhight or so) i find that i have better luck starting in the cold if i leave it pluged in all night
Why when it is doing nothing but running the electric bill up? I can see that these things peak rather quickly. in the 40s the kats 600 watt heater is peaking within 2 hrs. Colder temps will take longer, so you time it out longer. If you need 4 hrs set it for hrs. You are doing the same thing and paying half the electricity on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7rlH2tcdSc

Last edited:

greenjeepster

belive me when its 40 below and you have hungery livestock you dont give a **** about an xtra 25 dollars a month on your electric bill. ive had a timer on before and your better off pluging it in over night .and 40 degres plus is a summer day around here
I used to plug in over night but had one short out and burn the barn and truck down... That really puts a crimp in livestock feeding ;)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
does anyone read the posts or do they just say things to say them .
TM - I honestly CAN NOT read 90% of what you post so I skip it. No caps, limited punctuation, no paragraphs, etc. Not trying to bag on you man but you asked.

tm america

Sorry you have a hard time reading dug you should have that looked at.I guess you haven't been reading the other posts that don't have proper puntuation to or you are just limited mentally and want to see what you want to see. I can't help you with that.Greenjeepster the only reason you would have burned your truck and garage down is if you were using the wrong size extention cord. or wrong size breaker . As if there was any shorting it should have just tripped the breaker before starting a fire. .Thats the whole idea of the breaker. .But dont blame it on the block heater as there are thousands of truckers that leave thier trucks plugged in all winter and don't have that issue:confused:.I HOPE EVERYTHING WAS SPELLED CORRECTLY FOR THE TEACHERS THAT FEEL THEY HAVE TO CORRECT EVERYONE .

tm america

wldrbob.You better watch it you didnt use proper puntuation on capitize either some might not read what you wrote .Then later they will be asking stupid questions that you have already answered .Like they dont know how to read or something .If things are properly sized for the circuit fire should not be an issue.I could do the math and list the size of wire and circuit breaker need for the different block heaters .but it would be pointless as this thread is not for helping eachother out in understanding how they work it's about acting like we are in high school and being in a click .auaauaauaaua

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry you have a hard time reading dug you should have that looked at.I guess you haven't been reading the other posts that don't have proper puntuation to or you are just limited mentally and want to see what you want to see. I can't help you with that.Greenjeepster the only reason you would have burned your truck and garage down is if you were using the wrong size extention cord. or wrong size breaker . As if there was any shorting it should have just tripped the breaker before starting a fire. .Thats the whole idea of the breaker. .But dont blame it on the block heater as there are thousands of truckers that leave thier trucks plugged in all winter and don't have that issue:confused:.I HOPE EVERYTHING WAS SPELLED CORRECTLY FOR THE TEACHERS THAT FEEL THEY HAVE TO CORRECT EVERYONE .
Wasn't trying to bash you Capt Thin Skin. You asked if everyone was reading all the posts and I said NO and told you why. Limited mentally? Seriously? Is that all you can come up with? LMK when you have a better insult than that.

Next time, don't ask if you can't handle the answer........................

ya that could be. i dont know if it got hot enough to set the wires on fire then kicked the breaker, all i know is it was darn close to burning my tractor.as it was all i lost was a couple of gallons of antifreeze.when it burnt through the rad hose, that might have even been what put it out. cows are always rubing on your tractor they could have frayed the wires . the heater was a 1000 watt inhose heater in the bottom rad hose.i use arctic low temp extension cords cause the cheep ones get to stiff to plug in.they are 25 ft long and seen to be good.i have 15 amp breakers .

Last edited:

tm america

i have nothing else to add to block heater threads they seem to be counter productive anymore. if anyone has questions about how my block heater is working for me they can pm me i will be glad to answer any questions they have .thanks you guys have a great night:nothingfunny:

Farmun

Not to :deadhorse:, but several pages back in this thread I mentioned that I wanted to take some temperature readings with my Kat's 1500 watt recirculating block heater installed. Well this morning I had the chance.

Weather conditions at start of test: overcast, outside temperature 24 degrees.
Truck: in driveway, partially under tree limbs, covered in frost.
Start time: 07:15
End time: 09:15

The heater installation: 5/8" hose from the rear coolant drain on the block to the heater unit mounted at the passenger side frame rail behind/below the alternator. 5/8" hose from the heater unit to "T" in the cab heater hose which leave the water pump at the lower connection.

The raw data, and chart showing the temperatures measured by a non-contact thermometer should be attached somewhere here.

Basically, the highest temperatures were measured at the front of the intake manifold, and the highest temperature increase occurred within the first 30 minutes of the test.

Hope this information is helpful.

Attachments

greenjeepster

farm:
I think you have the best solution for anybody who does not want to pop out a freeze plug. Also the wattage advantage is obvious. If you think about it we are talking a motor that holds 8 gallons of coolant. The applications that are listed for a 600 watt heater are all in the 3-4 gallon range.

Unfortunately I am unable to view your results because all the numbers blur when I enlarge the image.

tm america

maybe john deere makes a deuce that has a thermostat that blocks the coolant flow like the one in greenjeepsters video:cookoo:the rest of us have deuces that the thermostat bypasses. i seen a block heater on a gas engine from the factory once .he said he bought it brand new in alaska funny it was a pt cruiser.the guy didnt even know it had a block heater .