• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 block heater

Katahdin

My heater was purchased from Westfolk, the same 3/4 inch screw-in type mentioned earlier in this thread, I think it must be the 400 watt version.

There was an argument that heat produced from this type of heater wasn't getting past the thermostat, but in the eyes of a thermal camera, clearly it is.

nchittendon

You've made a believer out of me. I posted in my write up that I was seeing conflicting information, so I took the safer route. After seeing your "test," i'll be modifying my write up to include this information. Thank you!!

Katahdin

Good morning deuce fans! I almost though these next pictures would be a bust, the camera was only displaying noise, but I took it inside and after rebooting my phone better thermal images came into view.

First lets talk about the weather, it was in the mid-20s when these early morning pictures were taken.
20141120_072359.jpg

How cold was the metal on the deuce?
20141120_073606.jpg
The harbor freight temp gun was reporting 15.5 degrees. FYI, I did leave the camera and temp gun outside to acclimate for about a 1/2 hour before use.

Moving on. My M109 start to come into view of the thermal camera, the waterpump heater has been plugged in all night.
img_thermal-1477548024.jpg

This side of my M109 is taking in the morning sun. I've opened the engine access panel.
img_thermal832645887.jpg

A closer look at the passenger side of the engine compartment, the hood is down.
img_thermal697488460.jpg

Lets lift the hood, this is the top of the radiator.
img_thermal1745522748.jpg

In this picture I am standing on the passenger side fender and looking down at the engine compartment.
img_thermal183488907.jpg

Now I'm standing on the driver side fender.
img_thermal-1881501559.jpg
The two round cold spots are NAPA 1060 spin-on oil filters.

Pics to be continued...

andy3

I picked up my Kat's 11409 from NAPA this morning. After the AAA discount it was cheaper than the one from Amazon by a dollar. I will be installing it in the next week or so. WOW, that is a real heat bloom.
Can you tell us if you started it this morning? How did it go?

Katahdin

Here I focused on a freeze plug on the passenger side. Can you make out the oil dip stick and air intake pipe?
img_thermal1555797621.jpg

Here's a closer look at those spin-on oil filters.
img_thermal1588717103.jpg

Lying on the ground now. Looking up between the block and C turbo.
img_thermal-1607200226.jpg

Looking up at the spin-on secondary fuel filter (only one), oil cooler, and bypassed fuel density compensator tube.
img_thermal1151564170.jpg

Katahdin

I did not try to start the engine, as I was running late to get to work where I....umm....am posting these pictures. rofl

I am confident the engine would start, I have had this block heater installed for several years, only the thermal camera is new. I will post thermal images later this weekend after the truck has been properly warmed up and driven.

OK....so how warm is the engine block after heating it with water pump heater all night? Two views, first the Harbor Freight Temp Gun:
20141120_073409.jpg
So we're seeing about a 40 degree increase in block temperature on a 20 degree night.

This next picture is how hot the thermal imaging software thinks the block is, it has pinpointed a high point (the block heater) and a low point (the air intake). I'm a skeptical of these numbers, they are either wrong (not surface temp) or an internal temp reading. I don't know enough about thermal imaging tech to know which it is.
img_thermal-1858047778.jpg

In any event, here's the conclusion: Will a block heater threaded into the waterpump warm the engine? Yes it will. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

drivebymashing

I just installed a water pump heater and the 1.5 hours i left it plugged in the water pump and entire intake was really warm. The truck fired right up. Mine is 3/4 kats 400 watt

swindad2

Just came across this thread. Never would have thought I would need one of those in southern KY. We just had an unusually cold, snowy spell here, with record lows. At 7:00 am Tuesday morning, it was -2. We just had our second round of snow, and it was over the bumpers on both our cars. Went to start the deuce, to get the wife to work, and the engine wouldn't even turn over. A second attempt kicked the breakers. If I get the 400 watt Kats model, are there any clearance issues, or do I need an extension like was mentioned on the larger one?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion is that the starter should always be able to turn over your engine -- whether it starts or not is another matter entirely. If the starter can't turn over the engine the first place I look is the batteries, then check for bad starter components, relays etc, then other engine problems. Reminder: the TMs say to always check for hydrostatic lock before starting (I don't know if temperature ever is a contributing factor for that).

I've got a Kat's 400W on order (its a ways out), but will report how it fits on my truck when I'm done.

skinnyR1

I have the 400w katz. It fits with no issues.
It has been 0 here for several weeks now. If I plug in for 4 hours prior, it starts normally. 2 hours preheat, it coughs and sputters but still lights off.

GPZ

What block heater are you running.Have used freeze plug units and found them to be to much work to keep operating.Know you run one at the water pump,would like to know who makes them and a the part number for the unit.Thank you for your help on this...M 35 A2 LDT465

GPZ

I have the 400w katz. It fits with no issues.
It has been 0 here for several weeks now. If I plug in for 4 hours prior, it starts normally. 2 hours preheat, it coughs and sputters but still lights off.
=gpz] Thank you for the info, have looked at those but wasn't sure of the out put or reliability issues.For the money and ease to install this might be the way to go.Have been on the computer for days trying to come up with something that works.Just pulled two freeze plug units out that had fail badly from the start, what a mess.Just ready to button this up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks