• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 brake light switch help

SpruceDeuce

is this my brake light switch because i do not have brake lights but my rear running lights work. is the switch the white thing with the 2 wires coming out, if so where can i get one of these from? the ones i see on ebay look a lot different.

is mine the new style or old style? which is better?

thanks

Attachments

badgmc56

Keep a close eye on those steel brake lines. Looks like a few may be getting tired. Had some on my GMC that looked like that and moved it aside a little bit to paint and the line broke. If the outer surface starts to flake, it's only a matter of time before the line needs to be changed. Nice truck by the way!

saddamsnightmare

January 27th, 2008.

Gentlemen:

For those of us that have the TM's on CD and do rather better with paper manuals, How does one change the switch out on the Brake Master Cylineder setup on the M35A2? My truck apparently hasn't had a failure there (yet), but the information would be appreciated anyway. When you replace the brake lines, does one order the parts from the suppliers, or just bend up new ones to order? Would stainless steel brake tubing work any better?
And, you gotta wonder why, when these thrucks went through the MWO process back in the eighties and nineties, why Uncle didn't engineer a two part system like more modern trucks have as a retrofit? Even though I keep up on inspections and repairs, I treat every stop like it's gonna be a potential brake failure, cause on trucks this old, you never know when it's gonna bite you.

Thanks again for the chance to throw in a thought or two.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm veteran deuce.

badgmc56

As far as I know you have to make up your own brake lines to fit. I replaced every steel brake line on my GMC. Once I saw one bad one I figured I'd replace them all. I have a couple of different benders to do it. Neither of the two were over 40.00. When doing it try to remove as much of the old line in one piece as you can and just copy the bends as you go. It takes a little practice but it is not difficult. I have been bending steel line for years in the automotive business so it wasn't a problem for me. Get the bends as close as you can and then you can tweek them when you connect them together. Stainless is great but expensive. NAPA has coated brake line now and it's very reasonable in price. That's all I use on my own stuff and on the fleet vehicles we service.

SpruceDeuce

"Keep a close eye on those steel brake lines. Looks like a few may be getting tired."

i will check the lines thanks for the advice, as of now the brakes work very well and the truck stops like a car but i will def keep an eye on the lines