• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Cargo Bed Bow Stowage????

saddamsnightmare

June 8th, 2008.

Gentlemen:

I've read the TM-10's on the deuce, and I've seen the drawings and the photos, BUT my 1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W seems to have no built in pockets of retainers on the front lattice rack to stow the bow corners and staves, and there seems to be no tie down areas under the bed either for the center bows, so what gives??? I see a fellow picked up one from Texarkana and took it to Fort Worth or Dallas, and in the photos the uprights and corners are stowed behind the cab on the front of the bed, CURIOUSITY
is driving me nuts.......
A good shot of an average duece with the bow stowage indicated would be greatly appreciated....... It'll be awhile before I can take my cargo cover off as the bed is housing the MEP023 Generato set at present, and its much too clean to be out in the weather, and my barn's not even started yet to house the fleet.....

Thanks Again,

Sincerely,
Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A generator Set
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114 MB NATO green

RE: Re: RE: M35A2 Cargo Bed Bow Stowage????

The headache rack is for the Drop side but can be installed in a regular cargo bed. The actual drop side bed also has the holes in the front of the bed itself. so it goes threw the brackets in the headache rack and slips also down into the bed itself. ill try to take a picture of 2 bed fronts to show you.. im switching a drop side bed off a truck we have here and installing it on my deuce to give it a dropside bed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a dropside truck and a real nice front rack from a non dropside. I'm looking for a dropside front rack if anyone is selling.

saddamsnightmare

June 9th, 2008.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFORMATION...... I guess plain old M35A2's just leave in the pockets, or bungee cord them to the inside of the front cross rack inside the bed..... I looked over the 10's and never could figure out which truck was which in terms of bow storage.... Some military unimogs tore them under the bed longways in the center of the frame (by the pioneer tool rack). :beer:

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Kyle, Here's what I did. Got a complete front rack and pulled the holders off. Goes right on the existing rack with a bit of drilling. The uprights I am using are the short metal ones so they don't protrude past the bottom of the holders, one of the troop seat posts is dented and won't allow a wood upright to go all the way to the bottomof the pocket. As for storing the bows, I got the holders off of the bottom of a 5t dropside bed and just had to drill two holes in the front side of the bed to anchor them to. There is already a hole in the bed cross members to accept the other end of the bent rod.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

M35A2 Roof Bow Storage

June 14th, 2008.

Dear WillWagner:

Thanks again for the photographs, I was thinking a modification along these lines for the uprights and corners, and the underframe mounting for the centers of the bows agrees with the -10. I seems that the M35A3's got the advantage of some newer engineering minds.....
Speaking of M35A2's, there's a new fellow, uses the Member name of JPINST that just got a really nice NCANG unit with about 5000 miles on it, he lives out your way, and the Steel Soldiers Deuce Committee suggested that he might want to talk to you about the finer points of maintenance and operation..... look for a scrim captioned "My Deuce Arrived Yesterday" or something very like that...... Needless to say, as you an the sine qua non of diesel and deuce mechanics, I am certain he will benefit by the skills and insights you have obtained on these beasts.

On my own deuce, the leak down the flywheel cover seems to have slowed.... it's still a little over full on the dipstick... the drip seems to increase when the left side is lower when parked (along the front top back axis of the truck), and generally stops when the right side is lower.... There are times when she doesn't drip at all, then there are other times when she'll leave a spot between the size of a quarter and a Pringle's* can lid.... The amount must be inconsequential compared to the 6 quarts between "ADD" and "FULL", it just seems to like to spread (on concrete).... If I were you, I'd buy Kitty Litter futures..... as my driveway's the delight of the neighborhood cats ( and I am certain they are going home with a little Rotella on their paws!), either that, or it looks like Jed Clampett's been shooting for oil again.....!
I am starting to suspect either a valve train cover gasket leak, or a head gasket, but more likely the valve cover, as there's no oil in the anti-freeze and no antifreeze in the oil......
Perhaps I should engage JPINST in a little frendly game of gin rummy...... Winner takes his choice of the two trucks......
:beer:

Thanks again for the many kindnesses and insights, hope all is going well out your way,

With Great Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules Gasoline Generator Set APU MEP023A
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114 MB.

N.B.: Will: What are the wood blocks strapped to your frame crossmembers below the center bow storage?? Curiousity Killed the Cat, so they say!
Thanks, KFM

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M35A2 Roof Bow Storage

Thank you for the kind words Kyle :oops: . I fired off a PM to him and, he is registered on the Yahoo group for the SCMVCC. Hopefully we can hook up.

Steamynachos

My truck is missing the bow storage rack on the bottom of the bed does any one have a pic of what it looks like without the bows in it. Would it be easy to make one?? is there one on both sides of the bed?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it's on both sides. All it is, is 1/2 OD rod bent into an L kinda shapeand a couple of straps. You can see it in one of the pics posted above...#003. I can measure and draw a diagram tomorrow if you like.

russ449

Gentlemen

I'am looking for a headboard for a dropside bed (M35) with the hardware for bow storage. anyone have one for sell?

Thanks
Russ449

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks