• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Cargo, Dirt, Top Soil capacities?

Merc1973

How many cu. yards of dirt (topsoil) can we safely transport in our Deuces? I need to work on the yard and get grass seed down this fall.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically as long as it's not mud. You can load the deuce up with as much top soil as it can hold. The bed sides aren't very tall. So that would keep you from overloading it. I've hauled sand that way but I don't recall how many yards the loader dumped in the bed. Make sure you check your tire pressure before you load it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
probably 6 if the loader operator is good. Makes a crest from 2 ft from the back to the front.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
6 cubic yards is what I remember from the last time I did this. I had troop seats.

In dirt, you'll run out of room before you run out of weight capacity.

jasonjc

I need to this too. Would 2' side board's be too much? At first I was thinking 4' foot it was pointed out that would be a bit much :oops:.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 yards will put you boarderline on being over the GVWR for the truck . It all depends on how your state enforces overweight loads whether it is worth hauling more . Here in Michigan they figure it's worth a dollar a pound for over weight plus court costs.

• Mulch
    : Weighs in at roughly up to 1,000 pounds per cubic yard, depending on the type and whether it’s wet or dry.
  • Soil: Weighs about 2,200 pounds per cubic yard, depending on the moisture content.
  • Sand, Gravel, Stone: Can tip the scales at upwards of 3,000 pounds per cubic yard.

Last edited:

fasttruck

TM 9-2320-260-10 for among other things the M817 has a table in it that tells you how much a cubic yard of various potential dump truck load materials weights. Run the numbers and you will know how much to put in your vehicle.

Merc1973

Basically as long as it's not mud. You can load the deuce up with as much top soil as it can hold. The bed sides aren't very tall. So that would keep you from overloading it. I've hauled sand that way but I don't recall how many yards the loader dumped in the bed. Make sure you check your tire pressure before you load it.

I want to thank you. I took the time to check my tire pressure. They averaged 20-30 psi aua. If your post didn't stick with me i may have just hit the road without checking, what a dummy i was. It took me more than 30 min to fill tires to 50 psi with little my pancake compressor. I take for granted how reliable these trucks are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks