• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Clutch Alignment Tool....

BMCUSNAVY

Okay...... I'm throwing myself on the sword..... I toasted the clutch in my 83 M35A2 on a recovery from San Clemente Calif. Being a green horn & seeing oil dripping out of the clutch bellhousing (90W). I plugged the hole, figuring a wet clutch was in order....... dahhh...... hit the highway after adding 3 qts. of 90w. Of course..... clutch slipping.... 30mph on the highway (finding the g-spot) and even slower going threw the mountains........ A lesson learned the hard way..... Anyway..... enough drama. I have a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing & pilot bearing.... "I need a clutch alignment tool" anyone know where I can get one????? I have checked NAPA & they cant get one..... I'm in touch with a local Diesel Mechanic who is trying to locate one. I figured I might as well buy one, since I also have a 72 M35A2. Again thanks WSC..... for your help in directing my ignorant $ss in how to post a new thread.... =)... If you plan on coming up to Whidbey Is. give me a holler... =)

Wayne
BMC USN(Ret)

bgekky3

FMJ and I used some tightly wrapped electrical tape on a piece of broom handle. We didn't want to cut off the input shaft on the bad trans.

BMCUSNAVY

Hey CDR.... could you order that for me in the stock system & over nite express it to me.... lol lol lol lol...... Im sure you know how us Boatswain Mate Chiefs are..... lol lol lol.... I will keep that stock number handy see what I can find.... =) Can I Kom SHaw... lol lol lol... Thanks again.....

BMCUSNAVY

Exactly DM...... been on the road for over 24hrs an saw fluid leaking out. Made some calls to a guy with a tech Manual & he couldn't find anything.... ughhhh...... Nice looking plug to the right thow.... lol lol lol.... Live & let learn. Thats another reason Im posting this for the world too see, so hopefully no one makes the same mistake..... Think this should also be listed in the "Newbie Check-Off List".

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check in your location for a heavy truck supply store. That is a standard size. They make dummy pilot/input shafts out of plastic, for that purpose. Either that or go to your local heavy truck repair shop, probably under a mayor brand name, ask for the service manager, and ask to beg, borrow, or steel one. I bet he'll help you. Or he'll tell you where you can get one.

Lee in Alsaka

jasonjc

I've used a extention and socket with some tape twice now and it work good for me. I think ODIron posted oence that he had some or cuold get some.

maxim

I had to do a Massey Ferguson tractor clutch and made one out of hard maple on wood lathe...worked like a charm as we fought with it for hours and could not get the split tractor together so I made one in about 10 on the wood lathe..slicker than snot...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered one from Memphis Equipment. $20 plus shipping. It made my install a snap.

Warthog

BMCUSNAVY

Thanks Rosco. I appreciate the input. Got ahold of diesel mechanic here in town & he thinks he has the size I need, but he loaned to another guy, who he is getting in touch with to get it back... :wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an old input shaft from a 3053A tranny. Matter of fact, I have another junk 3053 I was scrapping. Should cut that sucker out.

BMCUSNAVY

Replaced Clutch Assembly..... Think I have a tranny issue.... =(

Replaced the whole clutch assembly. While the tranny was on the ground, looked for fresh 90W on the forward seal & no evidence of a leak. Cleaned up the bellhousing area, new throwout bearing & put the tranny back in.... Still have the issue of dripping 90w out of the bellhousing hole & a vibration that was getting worse as I drove the truck into town. Got home, let the truck run for 5 min. to cool the turbo & could hear a noise coming from what appears to be the front of the transmission. Anyone have any input????? Plan on droping the tranny again & taking it into a shop to be diagnosed. Oh.... the tranny fluid is still full..... don't get it... lol lol lol

FreightTrain

Banned
When I did mine I got one for a chevy or something small and just wrapped it with electrical tape till it fit snug in the pilot bushing and then the Clutch.You don't have to have a splined tool.Just line the Minor diameter of the splines up with the center of the Pilot bushing.