• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Clutch Alignment Tool....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5th gear is bad and its been sitting full of water for a year or so. Locked up tight as a frogs butt. Still want it? I do have to steal the PTO cover from it.

rattlecan6104

Replaced the whole clutch assembly. While the tranny was on the ground, looked for fresh 90W on the forward seal & no evidence of a leak. Cleaned up the bellhousing area, new throwout bearing & put the tranny back in.... Still have the issue of dripping 90w out of the bellhousing hole & a vibration that was getting worse as I drove the truck into town. Got home, let the truck run for 5 min. to cool the turbo & could hear a noise coming from what appears to be the front of the transmission. Anyone have any input????? Plan on droping the tranny again & taking it into a shop to be diagnosed. Oh.... the tranny fluid is still full..... don't get it... lol lol lol
dont go to gateway transmission in town, they are over priced.

BMCUSNAVY

THanks rattlecan...... I was figuring on taking it too Mt. Vernon to a regular diesel rig repair shop, that has a clue. I have dealt with gateway before with my sons car & what a clown. If you wanto check it out, with us taking the tranny out & all, give me a holler & I will let you know when I'm doing it. No you don't halfto help... lol lol. Heres my number 360-320-1313.

Wayne

Tanner

Go to your FLAPS & ask for a 10-spline 1 1/2" OD shaft clutch alignment tool for a Chevrolet C40-C70 truck -

Odd... did you buy the new clutch parts as a kit, or individually?

My 13" clutch kit from Ebay for $85.00 shipped had the clutch disc/pressure plate/pilot bearing/disc alignment tool/release bearing all in one kit...

"Tanner"

Last edited:

BMCUSNAVY

You are killing me... lol lol lol. Couldn't find the kit....... danggg it..... sweet deal. I got everything from T&J Murray, along with the flywheel. Didn't know what too expect, so I ordered everything. The old flywheel & pressure plate look to be in pretty good shape & could be resurfaced. So, I will save them for my other deuce. Getting ready to drop the tranny again & take it too a shop & have it diagnosed & see what is going on.. fun fun fun. Its an 83 Whistler & a beauty... lol lol lol .... I know..... pics.

TsgtB

Digging deep again... 3rd time through my search and time to just ask the brain pool...
can anyone confirm this:
10-spline 1 1/2" OD shaft clutch alignment tool for a Chevrolet C40-C70 truck
will work for the M35?

thank you for your time.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to your FLAPS & ask for a 10-spline 1 1/2" OD shaft clutch alignment tool for a Chevrolet C40-C70 truck -

Odd... did you buy the new clutch parts as a kit, or individually?

My 13" clutch kit from Ebay for $85.00 shipped had the clutch disc/pressure plate/pilot bearing/disc alignment tool/release bearing all in one kit...

"Tanner"
This is correct; I used this post to help me find clutch alignment tools listed here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?149854-Rear-main-seal&p=1991737&viewfull=1#post1991737

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a pinch, you can McGyver an alignment tool from a 1/2inch extension and two sockets (a deep socket and a regular one) of the appropriate sizes (you can determine the sizes easily by inserting the sockets and extension into pressure plate/flywheel), as well as electrical tape to fine-tune the diameter and hold them together. Do not use duct tape. That would be Redneck.
While not "ideal", it aligns the pressure plate well enough with the flywheel for the tranmission input shaft to slide in.

Johny5

Wish I knew this when I did my clutch. I bought a tool, didn't fit 100% but got close enough and then used my eyes and a flashlight before tightening it all the way down.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We found the plastic aligning tool included for the clutch/pressure plate on my RAM 2500 5.9 diesel was an exact match for the deuce clutch/PP. I suspect many medium duty ones are the same.

rustystud

We found the plastic aligning tool included for the clutch/pressure plate on my RAM 2500 5.9 diesel was an exact match for the deuce clutch/PP. I suspect many medium duty ones are the same.
Your correct about it being common. In fact it is the most common shaft used in medium trucks.