• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 clutch brake and gas pedal mods

UNCLE FESTER

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on the best way to move the clutch brake and gas pedals in an m35a2 i need to move them closer to the firewall and wanted to see if there was anything out there in the way of longer arms or if cutting and welding the pedal arms is the only way; thanks for any help.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have seen pedals moved up and down, but not out towards the firewall

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to be a smart ass, but have you considered stretching the cab and moving the seat back? It would be more work but makes the entire cabin more spacious.

Rick

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a smart ass Rick but my question would be why do you want to move them in the first place?

UNCLE FESTER

I was thinking of extending the cab but i dont want to shorten the bed. i need to move the pedals due to me being over 6 foot tall the clutch is to far back to use properly and safely plus all the pedals are to close to the seat its just for better driver comfort. this is my first duece and i want to keep it as stock looking as possible. the pedals don't look to hard to mod aside from the clutch, i was hopeing someone had done this already just for pointers.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The only way to move the pedals in the way you're describing would be to lengthen the clutch and brake pedal arms that the pedals attach to. Then you'd drill new holes in the floor for them to come through. You would then have to do the math and figure out how much free play was supposed to be in the pedals. For instance, the TM specifies a certain amount (can't remember it offhand) for the clutch pedal to move before the throughout bearing contacts the pressure plate fingers. Once you lengthen the arm, the pedal will have to travel further (i.e. more freeplay).

You probably need a stronger brake pedal return spring as well.

You don't happen to have an '87-'89 model? Their pedals are taller: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?82965-Extended-height-M44-pedals

If you have one of these, try the normal earlier pedals. World of difference.

Also, many taller drivers prefer the earlier box seat to the spring ride. The A3 seat also gives more room to taller drivers.

UNCLE FESTER

Thanks clinto mine is a 1972 and it does have the spring seat i took it out to see if raiseing or lowereing the seat would help a higher seat will but the steering wheel is an issue to get under, i have been reading the tm for specs looks like i get to have some fun cutting the pedals, the clutch does seem like the worst to do all the rest are easy; almost concidered taking some height out of my legs lol. the price we pay to have fun, it worth it i love these trucks, thanks for the tips, im sure ill be on more as time goes on.

bigginstactical

Have the same problem..... and real soon Ill be finished adding 30 inches to the cab haha. Since you don't want to extend the cab you will have to modify the pedals. On our cj5 we cut and fabbed new pedal arms from where they came through the floor. Moved them up and away. I would take a few scrap pieces of metal and weld them up and set them in like it is a pedal to see what you even like or if it will even work for you. Once you see where you'd like them then try and figure out how to get them there. It would suck to demo the arms only to find you cant get comfy. my 2cents

tm america

First question is what seat is in your truck?if it is a spring seat you could mak improvements in a couple ways.. first you could switch to a box seat which gives you a few more inches or you could go to an a3 seat which helps out.. I would imagine if you switched out the seat you would be alot happier if you still need more you could slot the holes in the floor and remake the shafts going to the brake and clutch pedals but the gas pedal is gonna require alot more work to move it .. probably looking at a complete redesign of the pedal assembly and linkage under the cab..

w3azel

I'm interested in the ideas as well. I'm almost to the point of cutting and re-welding my brake pedal because in an emergency my knee will bang the steering wheel and probably miss the pedal. Its uncomfortable and dangerous.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still of the opinion that a extended cab is the preferable solution. It will be more work but the extra cab space is very nice to have, for driver and passenger comfort.

If you only extend the cab enough to gain the needed leg room, say 18" or less, you can simply slide the bed back on the frame, and keep it the stock length. Any more than that and you will affect the tow ability.

Rick

UNCLE FESTER

I have thought of extending the cab but i have the clutch pedal modified already the brake pedal is underway, i may extend the cab just for the added room later down the line, and i was not aware you could slide the bed thanks for that advise on it.

UNCLE FESTER

once i get things finalized i will post pics and describe what i did to the clutch, i will agree with you on the brake and knee to steering wheel thats why i am going to move mine. the clutch is alot smoother and easier to work then before with the extension on it. w3azel i will let you know when i get done sir.

UNCLE FESTER

thanks to everyone for the advice i greaqtly appreciate it all. this is a fun but a painfully slow prcess to move pedals i will try a thinner cusion to see what help that gives and i have tried to move my spring seat back but it already was and is in the back of the cab now as far as it can go. the clutch is done and alot more comfortable for every height person to drive i hope to get back at the mods this weekend to finish them so i can really enjoy this killer 6x6. as soon as its done i will foward along my pains so someone else wont have to suffer building them. thanks again. any more ideas are still welcome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks