• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 converted to trailer

m37dsl

Thought you guys might appreciate a little project i have been working on.

-I know it suck to see these cut up but i bought it without any sheet metal on it mainly for the engine and front axle and figured it was worth making a trailer out of the rest instead of scrapping it.

-Hitch is a demco 20k surge unit

-with the extra portion of frame welded underneath the existing frame as means of "droping" the hitch height it leaves the hitch at appx 24"

-empty weight with m35 bed = 5600 (with no wood sides)

-I still plan on boxing from the bottom of the frame to the 5x5 tubing that makes up the tonge which will help with strength and double as containment for a storage box in that area.

-Going to see if the 5 ton bed fits soon, 2.5 ton bed looks a little weird imho.

Attachments

usmctopgun

Not bad, looks nice, and glad you saved it.

I know the surge unit should stop it, but those safety chains and attachment points look tiny for a 6k lb trailer (pic angle maybe?). Chain on my Jack Russell Terriers leash look bigger than that (he weighs 18lbs)

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got to hand it to you, your green, you just recycled an otherwise dead truck. I am impressed.

Thanks for the useful post. I give you three thumbs up and a rep point for your ingenuity.[thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

m37dsl

Not bad, looks nice, and glad you saved it.

I know the surge unit should stop it, but those safety chains and attachment points look tiny for a 6k lb trailer (pic angle maybe?). Chain on my Jack Russell Terriers leash look bigger than that (he weighs 18lbs)
Its the picture angle, those chains are rated to hold back at least a queensland.

goodguyzy

nice job, I was thinking of a similar project for a parts truck thats still in good shape but keep it level to pull behind the deuce. still working out some details.

m37dsl

Got the 5 ton bed mounted, doesnt look so much like a teeter-totter now.

Next... figure out how to make it dump and not take on another 2000 lbs ha!

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've thought about doing that as I have two truck frames and beds. The only reason I haven't is I haven't found a practical use for it yet.

harleyhouse

m37dsl :

Awesome Fab skills. What method of cutting do you use?
We have a laser at work that gives that clean of a cut.

I like the adjustable hitch channel, I did the same on my M101A2 and use a 2" ball or 3" lunette to tow.

How does it tow behind the Dodge?

A very Nice job!