• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Crew cab w/ tandems

treeguy

I think that the crew cab idea is very appealing to a lot of people around here. Can't wait to see where this project goes. That is really awefull what happend to that guys dogs......wow......

One question about this project, how are folks dealing with the fuel tank? As you can see from the pics. the cab is over the area of the tank where the fill cap would be. I did see that this truck has two tanks and it may seem like someone has just turned the tank around so the filler is back tward the rear wheels. Is this the way to go? Kind of tough to fill and see in there but it beats modifying the tank I suppose.

Also, there seems to me something fishy about the bed matching the truck so perfectly with the crew cab. If that were a deuce bed then it would have to be shortened. That bed looks like a dump truck bed, ok, so what truck and what configuration was it set as? If it was on a deuce style frame and not shortened than what was between the head board and the cab of said deuce? See what I mean?

HASSON1911

I do see what you mean by the pictures. But though i haven't crawled under it yet the story sounds like he had an M35 and cut the frame to extend it to line up, but someone else mentioned that it very well could have been an M36. and on the fuel tanks they are that just flipped around. And too dilligaf, my plan is to cut it to make a level cab roof but reinforce it to where i can put nice roof rack up there.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, her she is as promised, the truck i found a week ago. The story behind her is that about 5 years ago the owner had dogs for the iditarod sled race, and was making this truck to keep both him and his dogs in the same truck, but one day when he was at work his neighbor ran his dogs over with a disc and tractor because they wouldn't stop barking the night before :cry:. Well to say the least he lost steam for the build and quit. So, fast forward to today the truck sat in the same spot from when he stopped working on it and hasn't moved since. But i asked him if we could try start it and he said yes. threw some new batteries and clean fuel. BOOM i don't think i held the stater for more than 2 sec. There is some work obviously to be done but if he doesn't ask for an arm and a leg Isabell might be getting a sister!:-D
Buy it and save it for some good use.
Unfortunately it appears from the pics that a M342 was used for this project.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I zoomed in on the cab pic that shows the data plate. It gets pretty "grainy", but sure looks like a dump truck illustration on the data plate.

Also, see the air tanks mounted outside of the frame on the driver's side under the cab? That is a stock location for the 342.

You can also look for the dump control lever. It will be a long handle in the left rear of the cab (behind the driver seat, to the rear of the park brake handle)

Also look for a rear facing PTO accessory drive on the transmission. Or any remnants of the hydraulic pump, tank, cylinders, . . . etc. under the bed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to have to agree with Jeff and Ron on this one. It sure looks like an M342A2 to me as well. The 3rd indicator is the rear crossmember where the pintle goes is not flush with the back of the frame. Now that the filleting has already started, may as well finish it, will be cool. As far as the creepy roll cage, it's not that at all. It's just steel welded (tacked) in place to keep the structure square while sheeting it. It completed tactfully it would be one of the coolest crew cab deuces yet. It would certainly need the gringeltaube steering mods so that it could turn a little tighter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be a great project if you had the wherewithall to finish it. Looks like a great start and the most significant labor is already done.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I zoomed in on the cab pic that shows the data plate. It gets pretty "grainy", but sure looks like a dump truck illustration on the data plate.

Also, see the air tanks mounted outside of the frame on the driver's side under the cab? That is a stock location for the 342.

You can also look for the dump control lever. It will be a long handle in the left rear of the cab (behind the driver seat, to the rear of the park brake handle)

Also look for a rear facing PTO accessory drive on the transmission. Or any remnants of the hydraulic pump, tank, cylinders, . . . etc. under the bed.
I picked out the seen items of what Jeff and Ken also spotted.
It also appears to have the M342 behind the cab stowage box sitting in the back of the cab.
If I look real hard I believe I might notice the angled point trunion plate for the rear suspension, not the squared off plate of the M35. This bumps up against the riveted frame reinforcement plate.
Pic shows original location of the stowage box and air tanks on a M342.

Attachments

Last edited:

zak

I'm sure a m342 owner would snap it up for that price just for spare parts. How many tool boxes are out there for just one example? Not to mention the pto, pump ect.

Kohburn

the framework looks like the start of an RV - the narrow rectangle would be for a passthrough door.

HASSON1911

Ya the part truck, I believe has a winch, but its also a M35a2, I plan on picking up the pieces and finish the M342a2, but have just a regular crew cab, not what ever that tower was going to be used for.

HASSON1911

Yep the reason it is so cheap the original owner, The man I was talking about in the OP, passed away(R.I.P.), and his cousin is responsible of all his property and just wanted to get rid of it, and $1200 is what they are worth up in in scrap so thats the price he offered me.