• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Deuce's towing power

remj540

I recall, while searching the forum's info on drop down hitches, that someone posted that deuces didn't have a lot of towing power. As a new 1969 deuce owner I assumed that they were pretty powerful machines. I can't seem to find the post again but I'm very curious as to experiences that others have had. I planned to tow a 3500lb Bobcat from time to time but I'm a bit concerned now.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just loaded 8000# of gravel in my deuce Saturday and it pulled just fine. You could feel a little difference in stopping.
:driver:

jwaller

thats going to be a load with the proper trailer. you will def want one that has brakes. good luck. getting going is easy it's the stopping that will be the pucker factor.

kubota_247

We bought a '71 Kaiser(?) 5-T tractor with a stretched frame and a 5000 Gallon water tank. Do the math. The frame was done by a pro shop. I don't know what other mods were done, but the F.D. used it. Not too good on hills they said. Duh. It's parked out back with the rest of the iron. Go figure. Just hauled home a M50s3 water truck yesterday too. It's red, not green, so we'll have to hide it deep in the woods. Don't want no red iron mixed in with the green iron.:smile:

91W350

I helped this guy load the old tanker on that trailer and he took of for Lawrence Kansas, ripping right down the Interstate. Three and a half hours later he called to tell me he was home. It is about 150 miles, so he had to average over 40 miles per hour. I was surprised when the phone rang and he said he was home. I agree with brakes on the trailer though, those Bobcats seem to wind up in the ditch a lot. Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIMfyG-09OE[/media]

velociT

I recall, while searching the forum's info on drop down hitches, that someone posted that deuces didn't have a lot of towing power. As a new 1969 deuce owner I assumed that they were pretty powerful machines. I can't seem to find the post again but I'm very curious as to experiences that others have had. I planned to tow a 3500lb Bobcat from time to time but I'm a bit concerned now.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Like someone else said, I wouldn't even feel a 3500lb trailer until I hit the brakes... :mrgreen:

3500lbs is nothing for a deuce. Hauling or towing.

my69camaro

I tow bar'd a M818 (~20,000lbs) for 160 miles with my old deuce. 5th gear was a no go on anything but downhills but it held 2,600rpm in 4th just fine. Not a powerhouse but it got the job done. Yeah they're under rated.:twisted:

Last edited:

DeuceNewb

I towed my m1028 behind my deuce and couldn't feel it, and i've towed a m109 (16k lbs i think) and it was fine. Slow to accelerate, but stopping was fine, i had no complaints, it was actually a lot better than i thought judging how everybody here makes it seem like the brakes are hardly enough to stop the truck empty. don't drive stupid and you will have no problems. I regularly tow a big trailer with a jeep or chevy on it and it does fine

Heavysteven

That's sounds light for a bobcat our T-190 is close to 6,000 lbs. Deuce is rated for 10k trailer no problem. The only issue is building a lower receiver hitch and trailer brake control. My license in georgia says I can only 10k any way.

I agree 100% towing is no problem is getting the trailer brakes to function with the truck proper.

I gave up on pulling a trailer with the deuce. My 350 works great. I can't imagine backing up a small trailer with no power steering...hard work

Seth_O

I bought my deuce in UT, and drove it home to CA. Not sure if you're familiar with the Sierra Nevada's, but my duece pulled my 105A2 over the passes (10k ft+ and 7-8% grades) without even noticing it was there. I never dipped below 5th gear or 40mph the entire way. The truck pulled like a mule.

Josh

I regularly tow my landcruiser (about 5600lbs will a full tank of gas) and it pulls and stops just fine. Last weekend e went firewood gathering with the deuce, I had 11,450lbs of wood in the truck, and was towing a triaxle trailer with trailer brakes with a total weight of 14,000lbs. I was in 4th gear lo range on most hills, but on the flats she did 50-55 no issues. The trailer brakes where working exellently.

Heres a pick towing the cruiser.

Attachments

Barrman

Compared to a modern turbo diesel 1 ton truck. The M35 is pretty slow and under powered on the open road. That might be what you read about. I have flat towed other M35's for hundreds of miles. Sure, you know they are there and a good hill will slow you down. But, they will still pull. Once you get off road pulling a load is where the truck shines and really is in its intended environment. Just remember what the truck was designed for and try to base the uses around that. Because, it does that job to perfection.

dittle

Very well said Barrman. I think people tend to forget what the intended purpose of the truck actually was and then try to compare it to a current design vehicle. There is nothing on the civilian market that is designed to do what a deuce was designed for. Apples to Oranges

Towing my Setup (Bronco, parts wood etc for a trip) I am approx 7K on the hitch. I lost 3MPH on steep grades (from 29MPH to 26MPH) Otherwise, you really didnt even know there was a trailer unless pulling or decending grades/hills.

I was using a 12V trailer brake with my trailer wired thru relays off the 24V system and using 1 leg of the 24V system (12V) to supply the power to the trailer brakes.

Barrman

One more thing to add. The multifuel engine loves to be used. Just idling or driving around town for a while will make it start to get mad and leak, stumble, slobber, run bad, etc... I think one of the manuals or maybe the ps cartoon even has "load truck to maximum GVW and drive 100 miles, see if problem is still present." The further I go pulling a big load, the faster I can go and the more I can attack the hills. If you start out down on power, have plenty of fresh fuel and let it run. It will get better. Of course, if you have been messing with the fuel flow rate, you better have a pyrometer on there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks