• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 - Did not serve - Is painting with military colors disrespectful

thunderdork

I bought an M35a2 this past weekend to restore. I did not serve. My father and my buddy who did serve said I should restore it to its original single color to respect the heritage. Some Iraq buddies said it could be seen as disrespectful. The last thing I'd want to do is disrespect the people who have or currently fight for our country. I'm a civilian, so that's something that really concerns me. This primarily is my bug out land clearing vehicle. But I wouldn't mind volunteering it for parades, etc.

The kids want to keep it military themed, and to tell you the truth, I do too. Otherwise its just looks like a converted utility vehicle. But bottom line I don't want to offend people who served. So I don't know if this would be a testament to them or an insult. Previous owner was civilian too and gave it a botched camo job.

I would greatly appreciate feedback from people who did serve and any civilians who might have had the same concerns and what they ended up doing. It had Marine marking.

Also, if isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be, does anybody knows the period correct paint codes, that would be awesome. Its a 1970 D from Fort Hood.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I'm a Marine veteran. There is no way on this earth I would be offended by you restoring your vehicle to it's military colours. I would, in fact, commend you for it!

Unless you added something intentionally rude like "I hate America" on it, but that certainly does not seem to be your intent. :)

And the bottom line - it is your truck, do what you want with it. Anyone who doesn't like it, ask them to move on.

As regards period correct, that depends on what period you want to portray. M35s (you said this was a Marine truck) from 1970 would span the period from overall Marine Green, through MERDEC camo (also called 4-colour camo), to 383 (also called 3-colour camo). By the time of the desert campaigns, most Marine M35s would have been retired, or handed off to the Army, as the Marines rationalized to an all 5-ton medium duty fleet during the 80's.

Marine Green is 34052 (the 3 at the beginning means flat finish. If you want semi-gloss, it would be 24052)
383 camo is green 34094/brown 30051/black 37030
Merdec depends on which pattern you want. There are lots of threads on here and elsewhere with all kinds of information for you on that.

Cheers

Last edited:
I see a bunch of folks wearing sports jerseys for their pro - whatever team.

I am pretty sure they did not play for the team - or - if they did, they really let themselves go physically. :-D

As previously stated, your truck = your dollars = your paint

Flyingvan911

I say paint it how you want. You're simply painting a military truck in military colors. You're not saying you served. My deuce is 3 color woodland. When people ask if I'm in the military I say no and that I bought the truck from surplus because it is a unique and useful vehicle. I've never had anyone say they thought I was impersonating a soldier or being disrespectful.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottom line: **** no, no disrespectful.

If we all had to buy what we served with, none of the old (WWII/Korea) would be around! I see guys take non-mil trucks all the time and paint them up so they would at least fit in at first glance.

You bought the truck, OWN it. Lots of good resources here. keep up on the maintenance. IF you bring it to a show, and someone asks about your service. Simply say no, but I wanted to honor those (or this dude) that served. Put a name on it if you have a friend or family member (doesn't matter what conflict) who died or served. And enjoy your truck!!!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is nothing wrong with painting your truck how you want it, and I think anything that is pro-military in nature is sorely needed in our society right now.

PLEASE PAINT YOUR TRUCK IN MILITARY COLORS!

Paint your car, your house, your kids in military colors! (OK, maybe use something non-toxic for the kids.)

Bulldogger

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! :)

Bottom line: **** no, no disrespectful.

If we all had to buy what we served with, none of the old (WWII/Korea) would be around! I see guys take non-mil trucks all the time and paint them up so they would at least fit in at first glance.

You bought the truck, OWN it. Lots of good resources here. keep up on the maintenance. IF you bring it to a show, and someone asks about your service. Simply say no, but I wanted to honor those (or this dude) that served. Put a name on it if you have a friend or family member (doesn't matter what conflict) who died or served. And enjoy your truck!!!
:ditto:

I'm also a civilian. Uncle Sam wouldn't take me because of my multiple health conditions. I do exactly what bikeman said. I'm an Operation Desert Shield/Storm reenactor. My M1009 is painted in desert colors, and I use it at events. When I'm fully dressed out at events, I hear "thank you for your service" at least 3 times per hour. I politely tell them that I am honoring all those who served in ODS. I tell them that ODS is the forgotten war of my generation.

Side story - At one event, I was stopped by a Vietnam veteran. He thanked me for my service, I replied in a similar fashion as I always do. That veteran shook/squeezed my hand, stared into my eyes, and said "thank you for what you do" very quietly. We stood there for a few minutes, in silence. Words were not necessary. The tears were welling up in both of us. I had no idea the horrors that he saw. I didn't ask about which branch he served in or which theater he served in (usually I ask). I never got his name. It didn't matter. That brief connection with a complete stranger, the honor and respect I felt for him and from him, the powerful bond we had with each other in that moment, culminated into an experience I find both hard to explain and nearly impossible to wrap my head around. I will never forget that encounter. I will continue to use it as motivation to put on my chocolate chips, gear up, and honor the men and women that wore the uniform. I wasn't able to serve my country, but I am able to serve those who did.

I explained all of that to give you this suggestion. Honor your father and his service by painting the truck to match his unit. Find out what bases he was stationed at. Ask him if he has any pictures from his time in the military. Find out what the unit markings were, and paint your truck to match. Research his unit, and print out a single page highlight sheet of the conflicts/areas/theaters they were in. When asked about your Deuce, you can hit a couple highlights about the truck, and tell them about your father's tours of duty. You will be absolutely shocked at the reaction you'll get.

With reference to ODFever's comments above, I did serve and get "thank yous" frequently when I do displays and parades.

My current project is a 1945 Willys MB. (In fact, the correct grill was delivered today.)

It was given to me by a very dear friend of mine - a "Battle of the Bulge" survivor. His name? "Bud".

The personalized license plates I have on it are "BUDS MB". (We don't have to display a front license plate on antique vehicles in Iowa.)

It is not my jeep. It is Bud's jeep and always will be. If people understand what an "MB" is, they will assume I am "Bud", when they see the license plate. If they don't know what an "MB" is, they still assume I am "Bud" and ask me about the vehicle. First - I tell them about "Bud" . . . and then I tell them about the jeep.

I put his name on the windshield (driver's side). I put his wife's name on the passenger side. I drove it to the retirement home he lives in and showed it to him, he cried. Me too - every time I think about it.

Lewis 2016 - 1.jpg

ageregunner

Restoring your truck to it's correct military colors is commendable. I too am a veteran, and in my opinion you are showing respect, not disrespect by returning your MV to it's military glory.

tobyS

How far are you going...body off frame, dump bed off. engine out? My suggestion is 383 green and come back with camo brown and black later if you want. My 817 never made it past the green stage.

Attachments

FloridaAKM

On another note, the State of Florida requires the owner of a newly bought military vehicle to remain military in paint & other equipment. If you repaint in different colors, add signage or change up the truck, you will not get an on road title & the truck is now off road only. If you do not believe me, check with the DMV. This is what they told me when I titled my latest LMTV a few weeks ago. I did not serve, but will keep both of my trucks in military paint & markings.

Another Ahab

On another note, the State of Florida requires the owner of a newly bought military vehicle to remain military in paint & other equipment. If you repaint in different colors, add signage or change up the truck, you will not get an on road title & the truck is now off road only. If you do not believe me, check with the DMV. This is what they told me when I titled my latest LMTV a few weeks ago. I did not serve, but will keep both of my trucks in military paint & markings.
Wonder what the thinking is there?

FloridaAKM

No clue, but the head clerk told me that if I was going to change anything from original, the title would be for off road only. No business signs, no repainting different colors, nothing. Makes no sense to me......

drivebymashing

What>???? I could paint my truck purple with pink racing stripes. It still has the same vin number.... I painted my truck current issue od green even though its a 71.IT looks a little darker than original.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not serve myself and I have several military vehicles the ones i want to drive most often i want to make them comfortable to operate but others will keep original. I really like the 3 color camo.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a veteran I think it would be MORE disrespectful to take another veteran (the M35) and paint it anything BUT military colors. As long as you're not trying to pass yourself or the truck off as active duty then anything back to original is just a tribute.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks