• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 dilemma

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:tigger:

Many years ago I would take our commercial trucks to a Freightliner dealership in Jackson, MS, to have them worked on. They had a huge boneyard in the back and I'd spend a lot of time rummaging through the dead dinosaurs.
Back when trucks were just getting air brakes the low air warning consisted of a little red flag up in the cab that would drop down and ring a bell to let you know you were low on air.:shock:

Yes,, and as I recall, (from the first semi-tractor I ever drove - a Diamond REO) the "little" flag was held up in its stowed position by air pressure, and when you lost it, the bright red booger dropped and became a lethal sharp-edged object hanging in front of you just waiting for the inevitable brakeless impact.

I wonder how many drivers survived the brake failure only to have their skull parted by the "safety flag".

mhassett

You got to be kidding. Truck looks brand new, at least better than the ones I started with.
Repair and return to service.
MHassett
Bush, LA

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i don't think people realize just how rough and beat that truck really is. to me that is just barely a parts truck. the winch, hard top and engine are about the only good things there (maybe) the rest is just going to be hard to get rid of.

red

The bed looks like the worst part of the truck with rust, otherwise the truck looks used but would be easy to bring it back.

I say sell it as is for a few thousand (maybe a new seat) and use the money to pay for the parts you need.

Eaglhawk

It looks like a nice truck, if it starts right up and runs around, check the brakes and look carefully at the axles and gearboxes. If there is little or no leakage (i.e. gunk buildup) I would definitely not part it out. I am here in Utah and 2 years ago GSA and Govliquidation dumped the last of the M35A2's and M35A3's here in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada.... I know the government people that handle the surplus and there won't be anymore sold, with the exception of those few converted to firefighting and about a dozen or two kept for replacement/parts for firefighting. You can do whatever you want, but i would look for a non-runner to part out.. (I have rebuilt some that are far worse than yours and now the prices of complete trucks here are going up in price fast... $6000 to $12,000 (Going more than some new 5 ton BMY's!) depending on condition. (I bought around 50 of the trucks from the auction and only parted 1 out since they were all pretty much complete. I fix them up with a 1 1/2 trailer and sell them as a off-road / survival set. The M35A2 is the best truck to have if society collapses. It will go everywhere (albeit slowly) and it can run on homemade fuel.. Also with hardtop, heater, air-lock, and winch, that is all the goodies for that truck.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know that M35A2 is a pretty nice looking truck, like was already said if you need the winch assembly for another truck so be it but this truck would certainly be worth a fair bit of money with or without the winch, AND if your going to get the M123 up and running and into good condition trust me you going to need every penny you get from this Deuce PLUS a fairly decent additional pile of money, BIG MACKS are expensive!
Good luck
Karl

peter34668

i don't think people realize just how rough and beat that truck really is. to me that is just barely a parts truck. the winch, hard top and engine are about the only good things there (maybe) the rest is just going to be hard to get rid of.
OUCH! Unless you know something about that truck I don't, I disagree. Then again perhaps you're the previous owner from VA that owned it ten years ago and know something I dont :)

From what I have determined the truck needs: 11 new tires, seats (I do that myself and its cheap), all the glass except the hard top glass (i swapped the glass from the M123 that was broken), signal lights, minor welding in the bed to fix some rust at a seam, and the low air pressure warning (I stole it for my existing M35a2)

The engine runs fine, I fixed the service brakes and ebrake. All else is fine it shifts, charges fine, starter is fine, air builds up, air operated 6x6 works fine, etc. I have already wheeled it on my own land and drove it down the road to make sure everything is ok. I did that to insure if its a parts rig I know what I can steal or if I sell it or the parts I can be honest.

With that said I still haven't decided its fate yet. A well running M35a2 in decent condition w/o winch, w/o Hard top, w/o canvas and bows can be bought for $5500 in NH. So that makes this one worth about $3-3.5k after I take off the winch. If I break it up most likely I will keep the parts for myself maybe share with a close buddy or two that needs something in barter.

I have enough of a trail system of my own that I could just use it as a guest vehicle wheeling rig. I know a few 16 to 20 year olds that would be hooked for life if I let them wheel it after a training lesson of course. They all bug me to drive my stuff now they would be ear to ear grins if I say sure fire that one up and take it for a spin.

Bottom line is I will put it on the back burner and work on the other 2 machines I bought along with it and get them to where I feel they are roadworthy. I'm a bit particular about what i will feel safe on the road with so that takes time as I go through them carefully. With winter coming it might be spring before I decide its fait or who knows something big my go bad with my existing M35 and I steal something that makes it a parts rig only.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just caught up to this thread, nice find, I also have a hard time parting out a good running truck. Pull off what you need for your good truck and keep it running for a woods truck, like you said; for when the kids want to drive something and get it dirty and you won't mind a dent.
JC

peter34668

After everything was said and done there has been a final verdict. The deuce has became a parts truck. First I pulled the glass to use in my other military trucks but the final blow was my starter went in my original deuce and I stole it from this one. Once that happened I just started pulling parts. I will inventory everything and keep some for my own parts inventory and sell the rest.

The selling part is the part I need to get to. This past Spring I bought out the contents of a shipping container filled to the top with military truck parts. I inventoried everything and then Summer came and I never sold anything online. This Winter however I will get rid of everything that I don't need in stock or don't have a vehicle that uses the parts. I will also give away some stuff just so it doesn't go to waste.

mikey

There are always true "parts trucks" out there. I bought two deuces from my first auction. I wanted one runner and one parts truck. They both ran and were in great condition. I didn't have the heart to tear apart a good runner, so I bought a parts truck with no title. I still have both original deuces in my collection of seven trucks (I know your pain).

I restored one of my deuces. When I did so, I restored the original bumper markings. I have always felt that these trucks are soldiers too. They have a history. They tell a story. They have done their time and seen things that we can only dream of. As a former Marine that served four years, most of these trucks have server much longer than me. That's why I'm no fan of bobbers or parts trucks, although I don't judge people who do tear them apart or butcher them.

At the end of the day, it's your truck. Do what you will. HOWEVER, you can probably sell that truck, as is, and get enough to buy two or three parts trucks. That truck should sell, as is, for $4,500. My average parts truck runs me about $1,500.

That's just my 2 cents.

Mikey

peter34668

I have a neighbor with a very early deuce. Its a gas /automatic, I'm guessing 50s. The machine runs, moves but its rough and has no bed. I'm sure I could get it for scrap price but its going to cost me time and equipment to get it out of where it sits. The gentleman lives in a part of NH that is still untamed.

He has asked me to buy it often but I can't see it being worth the time and expense of rescuing it other than I feel bad its wasting away and another winter of snow will soon be sitting on it. The question is, do these have any parts value like a more modern 60s/70s machine?

There are always true "parts trucks" out there. I bought two deuces from my first auction. I wanted one runner and one parts truck. They both ran and were in great condition. I didn't have the heart to tear apart a good runner, so I bought a parts truck with no title. I still have both original deuces in my collection of seven trucks (I know your pain).

I restored one of my deuces. When I did so, I restored the original bumper markings. I have always felt that these trucks are soldiers too. They have a history. They tell a story. They have done their time and seen things that we can only dream of. As a former Marine that served four years, most of these trucks have server much longer than me. That's why I'm no fan of bobbers or parts trucks, although I don't judge people who do tear them apart or butcher them.

At the end of the day, it's your truck. Do what you will. HOWEVER, you can probably sell that truck, as is, and get enough to buy two or three parts trucks. That truck should sell, as is, for $4,500. My average parts truck runs me about $1,500.

That's just my 2 cents.

Mikey

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Canadian military used these M135 until the 1980'. They are becoming somewhat rarer as many that were kept running by private owners were subsequently sold and "used up" by owners down the line.
The parts train is also slowly drying up, from what I can see. It seems that many vendors simply cannot justify the overhead of stocking parts for the old Deuce, seeing how slow sales are. There were reports of vendors simply scrapping piles of parts.

At the same time, as long as people run and restore or simply repair these trucks, there will always be demand for these parts. Near me there is a guy that just put a 1954 Deuce dump into service. He uses it to get gravel to cottages and hunting camps that are well off the beaten track.

I am sure that a working tranny and engine can always be sold, together with the more esoteric parts. Hey, even I obtained a passenger grab bar out of one of these! The rest....not sure. "The old Deuce" might be a better forum to check for interest.

Last edited:

Merc1973

Another vote to sell it as a runner to someone on SS for their first truck. It looks nicer than MANY that are for sale. Then again some people are perfectionists and have to do a full frame-off resto to be part of their collection. You can easily get $3-4000 after getting it road worthy.

XchaosX

I bought a "parts" deuce last year that was wrecked. It had a title and I got it running, I just couldn't bring myself to part it out. I then had to buy a real parts deuce to fix up the wrecked one. I found one with no title, cab was shot and it had been sitting in a field for 10+ years. I didn't feel so bad about parting that one out. Your truck looks in good shape in comparison to my wrecked deuce I fixed up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks