• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 driver seat

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Awesome, we are stripping out a few at work...these look brand new, air ride! I removed them yesterday, also got an inverter and sbar heater and all of its goodies!
That sounds great!
You can plumb them into the air system pretty easily too.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah I was actually thinking about adding another tank or 2 for some serious volume to use air tools on the road if need be. My wife is excited about the thought of an air ride passenger seat!
That's interesting. I added two air tanks to my M936 with the same intent. More air so it wouldn't work the compressor as much... The disadvantage is that it takes a lot longer to "build air" after you run a big 3/4 inch impact on it. It also takes longer to just crank up the truck with all the extra air capacity.

I eventually bought myself a half inch Old Milwaukee impact. I don't remember the torque in foot pounds, but it will bust a nut on a wheel in minutes. I saw a YouTube video showing a set of 18 wheels removed and replaced on a single charge... It comes in a nice carrying case too.

Old Milwaukee FUEL.jpeg

Glad to hear that the wife is excited about an Air Ride seat on her side of the truck! That bench seat will flat out beat you to death on rough ground. And it isn't all that grand on smooth pavement either... It's great that she's excited about the truck. Nothing like a happy wife!

DanoBonanno

That's interesting. I added two air tanks to my M936 with the same intent. More air so it wouldn't work the compressor as much... The disadvantage is that it takes a lot longer to "build air" after you run a big 3/4 inch impact on it. It also takes longer to just crank up the truck with all the extra air capacity.

I eventually bought myself a half inch Old Milwaukee impact. I don't remember the torque in foot pounds, but it will bust a nut on a wheel in minutes. I saw a YouTube video showing a set of 18 wheels removed and replaced on a single charge... It comes in a nice carrying case too.

View attachment 915486

Glad to hear that the wife is excited about an Air Ride seat on her side of the truck! That bench seat will flat out beat you to death on rough ground. And it isn't all that grand on smooth pavement either... It's great that she's excited about the truck. Nothing like a happy wife!

Nice! I've got the snap on 1/2" cordless...so let me give you the total plan for this deuce...it's going to be a bug out rig/tiny home, I was going to fit in a high output small electric compressor as well, tied right in, so I can still get an air supply without constant running of the engine....I was worried about the engine compressor keeping up with the demand.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Expedient Refueling System ExtremeAir Reciprocating 24V Extreme OutbackIMG_7026.png
This is a good deal on this. No idea about the seller though?

@Valence did an excellent write up on his install that you need to check out and he needs to give us an update as well

DanoBonanno

Expedient Refueling System ExtremeAir Reciprocating 24V Extreme OutbackView attachment 915508

@Valence did an excellent write up on his install that you need to check out and he needs to give us an update as well
Oh man, where can I find the write up? I'll definitely post progress pics! I've looked at those units a few times....so tempting...but space...I do plan on a trailer in the future...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh man, where can I find the write up? I'll definitely post progress pics! I've looked at those units a few times....so tempting...but space...I do plan on a trailer in the future...
Found it! If IRCC he did an excellent job of hiding most of the components in otherwise “unusable” space.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice! I've got the snap on 1/2" cordless...so let me give you the total plan for this deuce...it's going to be a bug out rig/tiny home, I was going to fit in a high output small electric compressor as well, tied right in, so I can still get an air supply without constant running of the engine....I was worried about the engine compressor keeping up with the demand.
Yes sir. In reference to your I was worried about the engine compressor keeping up with the demand. statement, YES., absolutely. You can generally run an air tool - specifically an impact wrench - for two nuts. Then stop and wait for it to build air again... Before you buy a high output small electric compressor, it might be useful to know what CFM's your air tool uses. You might run the little compressor to death otherwise.

And the SnapOn impact might be an Old Milwaukee in the SnapOn wrapper... :)

williamh

I was thinking about adding a second air tank to my truck so I could use my 1” impact and remove more than 2 at a time but was having an issue with space available. So I picked one of these up off of e-pay , had to clean it up and get some 3/4 sockets but seems to work pretty good. Plug into the 24v and go to town. Way better than busting a knuckle.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok...I have access to some really nice air ride seats from a big rig...are these feasible?
The full seat may be a bit optimistic for the Deuce cabin size but if it fits, your posterior will thank you. I used a civilian air ride base with a military seat (Humvee) on top of it.
You can see it here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/air-ride-seat-installed.170676/

Don't talk about an air ride seat on the passenger side. Just confuses people ;-) . My wife got the springer seat from the driver's side as an upgrade from the bench seat. We don't want to spoil the troops now, do we?

Air is super easy to run from the tank up to the rear/bottom of cab and use a T for the passenger side (if you go for the extra bonus points! ). I used the air horn supply line in the engine bay to T-off; less crawling around under the truck that way.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Expedient Refueling System ExtremeAir Reciprocating 24V Extreme OutbackView attachment 915508

Thanks Jbulach! Sorry for my delay getting back here. Without digging through history, if I recall I paid _significantly_ less than those units are selling for now. However, that is still less than the cost of buying even just 1 new from ExtremeOutback. So saving ~$500 off the get-go is nothing to blink at. The downside of those "Expedient Refueling Systems" is that the air compressers are an older design with a weaker head. I cracked one of the heads by slightly over tightening the output fitting so that added a LOT to my cost though. The surplus ones also use a "wet" air filter (not great if you live in a dusty or maybe a very humid climate). The new air compressors come with a better pre-fiilter system that you unfortunately can't just adapt for the older ones.

1706976104347.png
$470 at the time of this post
https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/extremeaire-high-output-24-volt-compressor/

or $630 for the "Magnum" version that is 2" longer but might not fit in the same place I put mine:
https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/extremeaire-magnum-24-volt-compressor/

The positives though are cost (obviously), very likely unused or hardly used, and the accessories that come with it. I was able to reuse the Bussman ShortStop breakers, power cord, air manifold, rubber anti-vibration pads, hose clip, and the NATO slave port plug (on a different project). I think I sold the switch, or you could use it in your design. Due to where and how I wanted to control mine, a relay was better/safer.

My "supplemental air compressors" is probably the most technically complex addition to my truck, but it is also one of my favorites. Granted, I don't use my truck enough, but I haven't had any problems with it in the past ~7 years (well, I had trouble with my air dyer, so it is still by-passed, I still need to re-wire the air compressor hour meter as it isn't working, maybe it never did, and during initial testing I did have to replace the push-button switch with the rotary knob that I should have just used from the beginning).

Many folks want to add more air tanks. That does give you more reserve capacity, and that in itself is not a bad thing at all, but it adds 50-100% more time until you have enough usable air pressure for the brakes, and that much longer you have to listen to the low air pressure buzzer. If I recall correctly, these two electrical air compressors increased my CFM by about 50%. The draw back is it DOES put additional work on your alternator, but that's what the sucker is for (I suppose, provided you do not have any other high current draws at the same time like an electric winch, light bars, camper refrigerator etc). A bigger engine air compressor would probably be the most efficient solution - it has been years since I read about that - but the engine mounted air compressor was hard to find, and others required additional coolant plumbing from the radiator.

I find it is very similiar to the tire debate - that there probably isn't any "one best" solution, and it comes down to personal preference or juggling cost / parts availabilty / longevity / use. The electrical and wiring was easy and fun for me, but I had a to learn a lot about air fittings and the like.

I really do like my supplemental air compressors. I don't HAVE to run them (but I always do :^). The exra CFM is super helpful with the air assist steering I added. Not really necessary for the air-ride seat, but doesn't hurt either.

I put in a HEMTT air ride seat in my deuce. Fit and rides well, even for an 8-hour road trip:
1706979191549.jpeg
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...r-deuce-this-week.67703/page-291#post-1915877

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks