• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 engine rebuild?

Patton0372

I have a M35A2 that recently started blowing excessive amounts of oil and blue smoke from exhaust and blow by tube. Is it cheaper to rebuild engine or get a new one. The gov rebuilt new engine is $6500 and a used swap is $3500. Is it cheaper to rebuild the one in it? Thanks!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems the days of finding new rebuilt engines in the can are all but over it seemed the general price for one of these used to be around 3K it was a pretty good deal. Since it seems those days are gone rebuilding the engine is a pretty safe option and with doing a rebuild you know exactly what your getting, I would hate to do a swap with another engine and after installation you find that what you put in was worse than what you pulled out. I would take NDTs advice and do a leak down on the cylinders your likely to find one that is weak but it will allow you to start making informed decisions from that point on. I dont know if its a big deal on the deuce but I would also take a look at the injector maybe if that is worn out or just faulty it may be just blowing in a bunch of fuel into a cylinder and it not getting burned and coming out the other orifices on the engine as slobber? Hopefully somebody more in the know on the LDT will chime in and expound on if this is possible? If its overhaul time dont be afraid of that the biggest challenge to most folks if lifting the engine in and out of the truck! Good luck and I am sure you will get it squared away!
Karl

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having rebuilt one, I would suggest to pick up a good running takeout if you are looking at something that makes financial sense. While I fully agree with Karl Kostman's points and also agree that rebuilding mine was a great learning experience and even fun. I had picked up a running LDS for $600 and with the little mileage I do that takeout engine would have run fine without a rebuild for years to come.

If you do a rebuild, plan for $2.5k in materials and associated cost. It adds up quickly...you will want to do other things that are accessible with the engine out, such as a new clutch.

Oerthedge21

If you can find a cheap used takeout o would go with that. I just rebuilt the LDS in my truck a few mk that ago, I have a whole thread on that adventure, I believe it was titled "engine knocking LDS-465". In the end I think it costed about 1500 to rebuild

edit by mod:
Here's a link: Lds-465 Engine Knocking. AGAIN

Last edited by a moderator:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a whole thread on that adventure, I believe it was titled "engine knocking LDS-465".

davidb56

I would try to find out WHY it just started burning out and slobbering it out. Thats Usually a process that doesn't "just happen". A regular cheap compression test would lead you in the right direction, and possibly eliminate the need for a rebuild. Guessing is expensive way to diagnose.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're not in a particular hurry, while you're exploring the causes you can keep an eye out. I see the occasional good deal come up on engines. I picked up a spare engine a few years ago for under $200.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
The cheap, good running engines that are a dime a dozen have pretty much dried up. If you’re looking for a COMPLETE, with injection pump, and turbo, with new clutch pressure plate flywheel etc with 3xxx miles on it since install, I have a complete pullout In senoia georgia for $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patton0372

The cheap, good running engines that are a dime a dozen have pretty much dried up. If you’re looking for a COMPLETE, with injection pump, and turbo, with new clutch pressure plate flywheel etc with 3xxx miles on it since install, I have a complete pullout In senoia georgia for $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve got a mechanic giving me a quote today on what he thinks needs to be done. I may be back on here to hit you up on that! I really appreciate it!

Patton0372

I would try to find out WHY it just started burning out and slobbering it out. Thats Usually a process that doesn't "just happen". A regular cheap compression test would lead you in the right direction, and possibly eliminate the need for a rebuild. Guessing is expensive way to diagnose.
How do you go about doing a compression test?

Patton0372

So the engine wasnt running rough or making any noise that would raise alarms to me. It just started blowing the oil. Any ideas.....?

davidb56

How do you go about doing a compression test?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks