• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 engine

biscuitwhistler37

So here we go I’m looking at a m35a2 with no engine should I buy it and then buy a 3126 cat. Or should I buy a running m35a2 and be done? I don’t know much about the m35a2 engines.
M35A2s are multi fuel powered, not cat powered, that's the M35A3. Way too many variables to take a guess as to what you "should" do, such as your background with fabrication and mechanical inclination, as well as your ability to read a technical manual and follow the steps to complete the task at hand. If it were me, I'd buy it, slap a good running Hercules or White LDT/LDS in it and run it, but we all do things differently. Hope it helps!

Bfoulk

M35A2s are multi fuel powered, not cat powered, that's the M35A3. Way too many variables to take a guess as to what you "should" do, such as your background with fabrication and mechanical inclination, as well as your ability to read a technical manual and follow the steps to complete the task at hand. If it were me, I'd buy it, slap a good running Hercules or White LDT/LDS in it and run it, but we all do things differently. Hope it helps!
Yes I know there not cat powered just was thinking it would be cool to put a cat in it. I have done engine swaps in different vehicles.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can put in most any engine you want as long as it fits in the hole and has a SAE bellhousing on it .

There's a Canadian dude on YouTube that shoved a 454 in his truck, there's a couple of other guys on YouTube that have also shoved other engines in their trucks .

Midsize trucks like the Chevy C60 and others made by International and Ford also run engines that will fit in there and have SAE bellhousings, some of them are even diesel .

If the truck is in good shape and the price is right buy it no matter what

biscuitwhistler37

Yes I know there not cat powered just was thinking it would be cool to put a cat in it. I have done engine swaps in different vehicles.
I would say do it then. It's a very straightforward chassis, I love mine. You'll hear arguments for and against every engine swap, end of the day, pick what you like and run it, we'll all love it, as long as there's pics 😉 I agree, a CAT powered A2 would be pretty cool.

biscuitwhistler37

A guy on YouTube put a dt466 in a m35a2

I just want something reliable
I second the 12v Cummins for reliability. It's capable of overkill power for the chassis and the swap is widely covered, plus parts are plentiful and it's multifuel capable. There's so many ways to repower these things it's ridiculous, there's a guy on here who has the engine behind the cab on a bobbed rig, can't remember now what engine it is or which guy but spend enough time on here, you'll find it. In any case though, I'd buy the truck if i were you, the words "cheap" and "deuce" are hard to find in the same sentence anymore.

HDN

One day I'll do engine swaps too, if only to save me a ton of cash!

I think it would be neat to put a Cat 3126 in the truck. I have an A3 with the 3116 from the factory, but AM General lengthened the engine bay toward the bumper and widen the hood a few inches to better accommodate the motor. The headlights were relocated to the fenders to make room for a bigger radiator (I think it's bigger anyway), charged air cooler, and transmission oil cooler.

There was at least one prototype M35E3C (a pre-A3 experiment) that had a Cat 3116 and a ZF 5-speed manual in it. From the pictures I saw, the engine bay was kept stock A2 and looked very cramped. It also used the A3 air filter housing and exhaust arrangement.

The truck I'm talking about was sold on Facebook in NJ awhile ago. A fire department bought the prototype truck surplus and converted it to a fire truck.

292742244_5638614429560463_4219865194327334077_n.jpg295871459_5667651169951545_5315688073256263661_n.jpg298934466_4873956736037421_6097088714192660570_n.jpg299363506_7941924732515258_525471214913093763_n.jpg299476148_5513564252034196_8454448315107090396_n.jpg

Here's a pic of my A3's engine bay for comparison:

20190919_124505.jpg

Hmmm, comparing the two pictures, the space doesn't look that much different in size. Maybe I'm missing something else...:unsure:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd buy the A2 if the price is right and put a standard multi-fuel in. Sell it if you don't want to keep it and make some money. However, I would look for an A3 that has a CAT engine in it already if you want a CAT engine, and save all of the work, but that's just me. A3s are very reliable and easy to drive. My A3 is almost used as a daily driver since I use it so much. There are also some other advantages of an A3 over an A2, such as a split brake system, fiberglass troop seats, additional tie-downs in the bed, singled-out, hydraulic winch, etc. I've owned both so I can give a fair appraisal of the differences. I also loved my A2, now sold, which was also extremely reliable. I have put thousands of miles on both trucks.

HDN

There are also some other advantages of an A3 over an A2, such as a split brake system, fiberglass troop seats, additional tie-downs in the bed, singled-out, hydraulic winch, etc. I've owned both so I can give a fair appraisal of the differences. I also loved my A2, now sold, which was also extremely reliable. I have put thousands of miles on both trucks.
Fiberglass troop seats?! Mine has wood - I must've been cheated :ROFLMAO:

Then again my A3 was #246 built out of 6000 trucks, so I lose out on the fiberglass hood too :p

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fiberglass troop seats?! Mine has wood - I must've been cheated :ROFLMAO:
Then again my A3 was #246 built out of 6000 trucks, so I lose out on the fiberglass hood too :p
Mine is a 1998 manufacture, the last year the A3 was released - probably why mine has fiberglass and yours has wood. All A3s in 1998 were supposed to have a fiberglass hood. My A3 had a very nasty steel hood for some reason. I was lucky and found an NOS fiberglass hood for $200.00 on Ebay and put it on. I love the fiberglass hood. My A3 had only a little over 3000 miles on the odometer when I got it. It still had the black plastic covers on the seats from AMG. The winch had never been used. The cable was coated with some type of tar/grease and wrapped in plastic. I picked it up from Fort McCoy and the GL reps told me that all of the A3s there were almost NOS trucks. One interesting fact is that when I picked mine up and drove it back to Georgia, I saw several A3 dump trucks. I've been told by several people that AMG didn't make any A3 dump trucks, but I have seen them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks