• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 - FLIPPING REAR HUBS TO SINGLE OUT A DEUCE.

Lonesome715

I flipped the hubs on this truck because I had a complete set of stock tires for it. I decided to run the new directionals on something else. The truck looked stupid with the tires sticking way out. Plus, I think it looks better.

toddm

I bought my truck already singled out and drove it for over 5 years that way. I found some more Goodyear 11.00-20's and decided to convert back to duals, I like the look a lot more now.DSCN0951.jpgDSCN5875.jpg

welldigger

Just a quick question...

Why do some replace the wheel studs and some just re-use the original ones? A set of 24 studs ain't cheap and God help you if you buy "new nuts" too!!!
Cause they like spending money? As long as you don't damage the studs you can reuse them. You should however get front lug nuts for the rear when running singles.

JimmyThompson

Hey Welldigger... I'm still anxiously awaiting the photo(s) of your flip! Is there anything mechanically "wrong" with running the rear studs on a singled out rim/tire (A3 rims)? What is the advantage or purpose of buying new studs?

3dAngus

Jimmy,

I have read on here, there are some who are concerned about rough removal and creating microcracks, the kind of thing where you need to X-ray them to know for sure.
The fatigued metal will just not always stand up to the pounding required to get it out. Those with superb shop facilities may punch them out with a press.

One fella said you can run a hammer test on them. Get a ball peen and tap each stud, with nut on, and listen to the sound. If there is a microcrack, you might not see it, but it will sound different. If all your studs sound the same, you should be all right.

I would not hesitate to reuse the nuts, provided they are cosmetically appropriate. I keep a bunch of used ones around. If anyone needs any spares just PM me and I'll send you a few. I don't have any new or used studs however.

welldigger

I do not suggest beating the old studs out. I'm not particularly worried about cracks as much as mushrooming the threads of the stud. Get a ball joint c-press. You can rent one from most auto parts stores or do like I did and buy one from HF. The studs will press out with my crappy 1/2" impact. Using my 3/4" impact they zipped out of the hub. When reinstalling the studs I just beat them back in since the back side is flat. Usually 3 swings from my 2 pound mallet does the trick.

Jimmy I have all of the hubs flipped finally. I have one more tire to mount and I gotta get some brake lines made and I will be back on the road.....except with singles now.

Heath_h49008

much better! I keep my truck with duals.
There is something very ugly about the flipped hubs. It's hard to put my finger on just why it looks so wrong. It always reminded me of the ghetto cruisers with the itty bitty little wheels sticking out of the fenders... only in reverse. Itty bitty little tires tucked under the truck.

The first thought I have when I see one is, "Did you buy it cheap with some flats and have to limp it home?"

To each his own of course, but it just looks weird.

How does it drive?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heath, you are right in the sense that personal preference has a lot to do with how one perceives the "looks". From a practical perspective, I prefer mine singled out. It still rides like an ox cart, just a slightly more comfortable one.It actually turns, does not push over the fronts in sharp turns, and when you have to get into the rears, you remove one wheel, not two.
With modern radials fitted, the likelihood of a flat tire is also somewhat reduced and there is a spare.
Singling it out with the original 9.00-20 does look "weird". 11.00-20 look better. 12.00-20 are, in my opinion, the best looking tires for singling out the rears. As Heath said: To each his own, of course.

Ford Mechanic

Guys I have a question, I'm flipping my hubs on my M35A2 to run A3 rims with 395's. My spare is a 395 on a A2 rim, will it clear the frame fine on the flipped hub or do I need to buy one more A3 rim? (dished side in)

Flyingvan911

I just flipped my hubs in preparation for getting radials. I agree it looks weird. Especially from behind in another vehicle. Almost seems sacreligious seeing two tires instead or four under the mud flaps. From a practical side it isn't so bad.

Hey guys, I'm getting ready for flipping the hubs for singles, New wheel cylinders, brake shoes, hardware, soft lines and master cylinder and have just one question, What is the torque spec for the 3" axle nut? I'm not very good with the TM's. I'm gonna try the Mrap rims (wanted a3 rims but $$$) with 395s and see if I like them. I guess I have another question now, Will pulling the shaft between the two rear axles make any sense as I never take it off of the pavement? Thanks Guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks