• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 for sale in England

M35A2

This truck is being advertised for sale in England for a price of £6,500 ($12,250). The guy said it's had a three year body off restoration, complete sandblast and re-paint. I have noticed some things that don't look right about it though.

1) There seems to be a big gap between the hood and the engine side panel, is this normal?

2) The front fender seems to have been cut short on the drivers side, does this look the case or is it the photo angle?

3) The troop seat backs only have two planks at the top, should it have more?

Are there any other things that you guys can notice that are different? He said it is fitted with the Hurcules multifuel engine, it has a turbo but it's not a whistler, what type of engine is this? He also said it's had new cab glass throughout, new tyres and had new seats fitted. The winch is fitted, but the prop shaft isn't. It has an air shift front axle and a cab heater. It comes with a good rear canvas. I've asked for more photo's.

What do you guys think? I think it's at the very top end price wise for what they are going for over here.

Attachments

Low-Tech-Redneck

I wouldn't worry about the gap too much, the sides of the engine compartment are fold-down panels, so it's not going to be a razor tight fit when they're up, so a gap there isn't indicitive of damage or misfit.

The fenders aren't cut short, it's just that the bumper being reverse-mounted and moved out for the winch makes them look like they end before they should. They should end flush with the grille, and rest on top of the supports on the frame.

The troop seats look that way because the seats are in the down positon, the top two slats are the backrests, if you fold the seats up, you'll see the rest of the slats (and I can tell they're there because that's what the boxes in the bed are sitting on)

Looks like a good truck, sounds like there's still a few things missing but they shouldn't be too hard to find. That is a lot of cash, but as you've mentioned before, it's pretty hard to find one over there.

M35A2

Thanks LTR,

I notice on your front grill, in the bottom left and right hand corners, there are some vertical braces (2 in Number I think). On this truck for sale there isn't. Does this mean anything, IE is it an earlier grill, are there different types etc? I've also noticed it hasn't got any wipers. I can't see any holes for them to fit, but they must be there?

With regard the gap between the bonnet and the side panel, you mention a misfit. This guy stripped the body off the truck and re-fitted it. I'm wondering if this is why it has this gap. I've looked at lots of photos of others and they all seem to be flush. As I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I think this would get under my skin.

Have you any ideas regards the turbo? I've sent an email to Marltrax to see if they have a whistler C turbo in stock. Can you get hold of new C turbos in the States? Might be cheaper to import one. Last time I saw one for sale it was brand new and going for $1,900.

Thanks for the pictures of your truck. Looks awesome.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, the gap is probably from the previously being slammed against the windshield. This tends to take some of the arch out of the hood and pinch the lower back corners out a bit. In one of the shots at an angle I'm pretty sure I saw a hole for the wiper on the drivers side. LTR already covered the troop seats but the front rack section between the troop seats is amiss. That right front fender looks the right length but looks bent from that angle. When you talk to ham request a few shots of that. The left fender looks right to me. As far as the Herc engine, still a multifuel. Hercules, Continental and Whilte all made them and all the parts are interchangable. There are a few places here offering new turbos although I've not checked to see if they were C or D turbos. I seem to remember them running about $750 US. Not too sure about the grill, I've never noticed that difference until you posted that. I know the grill off my gasser was 1" shorter than the multifuel grill. I couldn't close the side panels at all. Fought with it for hours before I decided to measure it. Replaced it with a different one and all was fixed.
Hope This Helps

Desert Rat

M35,

Here's some more help. The space between the hood and side panel is intentional so when you go off-roading the hood won't gouge the side panel or the side panel damage the hood. da sgt posted some very good pics. of just this flexing and how important the gap truly is.

As far as the non-whistler turbo what you have is the same engine as I do. That's a Herc. (Evansville, IN, my old hometown made many of the engines as well as Ohio and Michigan) LDT 465-1D turbocharged multi-fuel engine. To quiet her down more get a NAPA flow-through muffler. It's well worth the $65. I LOVE my Herc.!

C turbos are rebuilt now. If you really want a C get some asprin too.

DR

M35A2

Kenny and Brent, thanks for your replys.

$750 for a new Turbo. WOW. I will have to get one sent over from the States. Even with shipping it will still be cheaper than here.

I have also noticed that the bonnet handle that bolts on the end of the hood is missing. But, as the truck has still to be finished, some of the bits that are missing might still have to be fitted.

I have reguested some more photo's of in the cab, engine bay and underneath. He said he will try and sort it out ASAP. So I will post them on here when they come through.

I still want the C turbo. That is half the reason to buy one. From what I remember, the D turbo is more of a growl.

Opie

M35A2,
The bonnet/hood handle is a field modification. There are a number of such grab handles under the engine compartment end of the truck, and if you're so inclined one can be moved.

Cheers from the Waddington RAF camp! (I'm visiting my sister- and brother-in-law in Lincoln, England) :beer:

M35A2

Here are some more pictures of the truck I promised. Please give me as much feed back as you guys can, it's a lot of money. I'd like to know if you guys notice anything of interest. By the way, it has a rebuild plate in the cab from a place I presume is in Germany. Any further info on this?

I emailed Marltrax about a C turbo. I told them this has the D turbo fitted. They said I might loose power if I change to a C, is this true? They also said they only imported 3 D turbo trucks into the UK. So it is a pretty rare beast. It is registered as a 1959. Does it look newer than that?

Cheers.

Attachments

m35a2cowner

missing parts

I am no expert but it appears to be missing part of the lifting brackets on the front bumper. The mushroom like pre-cleaner in the passenger's side cover isn't there. The winch cable is missing the chain and hook end. Its missing a headlight and part of the heater (hot air) tubing under the hood is missing. Isn't it missing troop seats? Also, you might want to measure the depth of the tread on the tires, it might just be the camera angle, but the tread (rear duals under bed shot) look as if there is a bit of wear on them. Also, look to see if it has the linkage (in cab and under) to operate the winch.

MrAugust

well mate chill a bit theres plenty of time to sort your truck out if youv baught it, i have a mint reo and also m715, be glad to help you out with some bits n bobs, My reo isnt the whistler and i think its good to be a touch different.... any way REO's Rock.

M35A2

MrAugust said:
well mate chill a bit theres plenty of time to sort your truck out if youv baught it, i have a mint reo and also m715, be glad to help you out with some bits n bobs, My reo isnt the whistler and i think its good to be a touch different.... any way REO's Rock.

Hello mate,

Glad to see someone else from England on here. Welcome.

I haven't bought it yet. For £6500 the truck needs to be mint and 100% complete. I have to call the guy about the bits that are missing and ask him if it will be all there when he sells. He said it will be 100% complete when he sells it.

Come on, don't be shy, lets see some pictures of your truck? You don't want to sell do you?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a stupid question. Do MV's have VAT added? If so, how much does this raise the price?

Round numbers is fine, I'm just curious. At 6500 it BETTER be 100%. There seem to be few real problems with it.

This thread gives you two other threads to read about my truck and one picture of it. Hope this helps.

And sorry, no it's not for sale. I'm not even done fixing it up yet.

jim

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=51617&highlight=#51617

PS - if you look at the second thread, you will notice my truck also has the vertical grill supports you mentioned. Don't know why yours would not. j

MrAugust

6.5k is a bit steep for a reo even in england, id be looking a 5k n thats for a good one with some bits n bobs to do on it.. ... thats wot i payed for mine it had new springs all round and job lot. plus chassis up rebuild.... all i had to do was spray her in to Vietnam colour with some bits n bats to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks