• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 from Ft Knox to NC

BTN

I recently purchased my first MV on govliquidation. It's a 1953 Studebaker M35A2. My EUC was approved this week, so I plan to get it around this weekend from Ft Knox. I am weighing my options on getting it back to NC. The goal is to get to relatives place in western NC. I live near the coast (NC) and will probably leave the remainder of trip for later.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions on transporting or at least getting it off the base. I understand that they will not allow it to be driven off the base. I've heard in NC you can legally drive a purchased vehicle from auction without a tag. Not sure about KY or TN (or really even if that's the actual law in NC). I appreciate any input/suggestions.

hilber

I called and set my appointment to pick mine up and they said nothing about it. I told them I was driving it back and he said OK. I may ahve missed it on th site if it said that. I did see it on on auction the other day.

Hooty481

Yea I can't remember the guys name but he's pretty cool up at fort Knox... I hope all goes well. I just drove my 818 back from camp Shelby Mississippi to here in Kentucky. I am about 45 minutes from i75 at my Vernon if you need any help just let me know.

BTN

I'm hoping to drive it off the base. One towing co I checked with today wanted $220 just to take it off the base to their office in next town, elizabethtown or something. Seems kinda steep. I thought about calling this auto plan I have (similar to AAA) to get it towed out, then replace batteries and drive.

Chief_919

You can't drive it without a tag in NC.

And until you have done a full -20 level service on it, you can't be sure it is safe to drive anyway. Look in the -10 and -20 manual under PMCS. That is the military standard on what you need to inspect and maintain before an unkown condition truck is considered safe to operate.

czechers1999

Btn, I would have it towed to e-town. It may take half Of the day to get on base at Knox. The people at the gl lot Noel and Josh are awesome but I can't say the same for the people at the guard shack. If u had it towed Maybe the shop can give it the once over so u will know what to expect when u pick it up

hilber

I recently purchased my first MV on govliquidation. It's a 1953 Studebaker M35A2. My EUC was approved this week, so I plan to get it around this weekend from Ft Knox. I am weighing my options on getting it back to NC. The goal is to get to relatives place in western NC. I live near the coast (NC) and will probably leave the remainder of trip for later.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions on transporting or at least getting it off the base. I understand that they will not allow it to be driven off the base. I've heard in NC you can legally drive a purchased vehicle from auction without a tag. Not sure about KY or TN (or really even if that's the actual law in NC). I appreciate any input/suggestions.
In GA you cant get a tag until VIN verification. You have 30 days to get this done once vehicle is in GA. I got my insurance binder today, but of course no tag. Same deal with my other deuce. I went to Huntsville, picked it up and drove it home. Then got a deputy to do the VIN cert and got the tag. I

Hooty481

thats pretty much how it was in kentucky. the only advantage of driving a military truck is most cops are afraid to pull you over since it could still be military and that would be over their head. Monday would be a better day for i think. i am currently bidding on some items at knox and would be great if i were able to pick them up at the same time.

BTN

Thanks for the input. Hooty, can I get a number or some way to get up with you on Monday. I would like to just drive it off the base, but at least have a backup. If it works out you are there picking up stuff.

Thanks,
Travis

Last edited:

BTN

First off, I would like to thank Hooty for his help on monday. Helped me out a lot with brakes and tires. If it wasn't for his help, I would not have made it back with the deuce.

Well, I did eventually get the truck back to NC. Had several problems. FYI, just because GL has a video of the truck driving does not mean the brakes work. I thought they would have to disclose this information for an online auction. They were aware of this truck not having brakes, their maintenance guy mentioned it when I first got there. The air line was leaking at the pump, turned out the line was cracked inside the fitting. We just got a new sleeve for the compression fitting. It still didn't have brakes. The hand brake was adjusted all the way out and barely catching also. The GL guys had me take it outside the gate before doing any more work.

We got out to a gravel area outside the GL site. Hooty was stuck at the visitor's center trying to get on base. He let me know where to fill the master cylinder with DOT 5 fluid. Got some DOT 5 (expensive!). Hoped the brakes would work after adding fluid if not too much air. Still no pedal. We bled the lines a couple of times (starting at back). No pedal. At the same time we were working on replacing the batteries with 27 series car batteries. The voltage was only reading around 25 V while running. I thought it should be around 27-28 based on what car alternators operate at to charge, but thought it may be enough to keep them up with not much load. Hooty got to the GL site and picked up his trailers he bought. They came over and helped bleed the brakes a few more times. Lots of pumping of the brake pedal. We pumped the pedal with the lid off. It looked like a few bubbles may have worked their way back to the master cylinder. Finally, we got some pedal. Bleeding twice is not near enough when there is a lot of air in the lines.

Since we had brakes and running low on fuel, we decided to head off base to a gas station to finish airing up the tires, etc. We noticed one of the tires had a bulge and was starting to separate. Luckily Hooty brought a spare he let me have for a reasonable price. Tried several tire stores and no one would change it. Finally, followed Hooty to a truck stop down the road a bit. It was a Pilot south of Elizabethtown off I-65. They changed the tire almost immediately and didn't charge very much for doing it.

Well we started out again, heading toward Hooty's place. I was going to get another tire from him for a spare since we had already used the one he brought. We stopped about 50 miles down the road at another gas station to check things out. Hooty noticed I had picked up a nail in the tire we just had changed. We made it on over to his place. He offered to swap tires in case the nail was already there and just didn't notice it. I bought another tire from him to use as a spare also.

We left Hooty's well after dark monday night. About 30 minutes down the road I noticed by battery gauge was dropping. Made it as far as London, KY - next to I-75 and stopped to get a room. Batteries were almost dead by this point. The next morning at daylight I hooked up my car to the batteries (one at a time, with car running of course) to charge them some. Left it hooked up to the second battery while cranking. It didn't want to start. Had to use the manifold heater quite a bit. It was below freezing that night. The first time trying it was starting to fire, and I let off the heater switch. It immediately died and the batteries were run down also. Had to charge them up more and try again. It started, and I didn't shut it off until getting back to NC. The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful. Stopped and got a bottle jack at northern tool in Knoxville that was on sale for $40 (20 ton). Luckily I didn't need it on the side of the road.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on getting it home. Do a search with the terms R4x4 and bleeder. Build yourself a bleeder and life will be better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks