• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 from Hooks, TX to Daleville, AL

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeepsinker - I am self recovering, from Hooks, what was listed as an M35 ( It looks like an M35A2C) this weekend and bringing it back to either Omaha or Des Moines. How was your recent experience with your recovery? I'm more than a little nervous about this self recovery. Although the pictures of the listed M35 looked great, I know how much can go wrong!

Were the GL people easy to deal with?
Any mechanical issues you had to work thru? ( Mine was listed as "Batteries Dead") I was planning on simply replacing the batteries with some good store bought ones.
Any extra info you may have I am interested in.

I plan on driving it straight north up to K.C. then either driving it to Omaha to my Parents house or to Des Moines near where I live.

Any heads up on what to expect would be GREAT!!

Thanks.
Jeepsinker is on a recovery at the moment but I can fill in with my experiences until he gets back. I bought 3x M35A2Cs (probably the same batch of trucks as yours) at Hooks. There's guaranteed to be dead batteries and low/no fuel, the Airforce check list confirmed this. All fluids were good on my trucks and just needed to top off the radiator. I believe Jeepsinker's experiences were less pleasant and some of his trucks had dry t-cases if not more. You may get lucky and find the vehicle's maint. logs in the cab but expect everything to be dry and you'll need to service it before driving.

fteagle

Jeepsinker - I am self recovering, from Hooks, what was listed as an M35 ( It looks like an M35A2C) this weekend and bringing it back to either Omaha or Des Moines. How was your recent experience with your recovery? I'm more than a little nervous about this self recovery. Although the pictures of the listed M35 looked great, I know how much can go wrong!

Were the GL people easy to deal with?
Any mechanical issues you had to work thru? ( Mine was listed as "Batteries Dead") I was planning on simply replacing the batteries with some good store bought ones.
Any extra info you may have I am interested in.

I plan on driving it straight north up to K.C. then either driving it to Omaha to my Parents house or to Des Moines near where I live.

Any heads up on what to expect would be GREAT!!

Thanks.
UH-60 Driver,
My M35 was in great shape. I did have to fill the radiator and the fuel was very low. Both batteries were dead, as advertised. But other than that, it was a good runner.
We did have issues with a bad radiator hose that ultimately put the head gasket out, but that was only because my Dad wasn't watching the gauges well enough. This happened about 570 miles after we left Hooks, but we were still able to limp home for the final 60 miles.
I'd recommend checking all the fluids and tire pressures prior to setting out on the long haul.
The people at Hooks were great to deal with. No problems. Getting on post took about 20 minutes because my Dad didn't have a military ID card. Otherwise it would have taken about 5 minutes.
Good Luck
P.S. I too, am an UH-60 driver. I fly for the Army Reserve out of Clearwater, FL.

Jeepsinker

Out of the five trucks I bought only one had full fluids. One had a bad lower radiator hose, one was missing a fuel filter canister, and two had empty transfer cases and other items low. One was completely drained. None of them had any fuel in them and only one even had any batteries, much less dead ones.

fasttruck

Bought a M185 2.5 ton van a few years ago which was dominciled at a NJARNG 3rd escelon shop. Dead batteries of course. Trailered it home and found radiator less than full. Filled radiator to top and let truck sit overnight and into the next (warm) day. Found coolant under radiator next day. Investigated and found a pin hole leak in the lower radiator hose which is a molded hose and probably not available at Autozone. Brakes also non-op. so much for driving these things home untouched.