• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 front axle weight rating?

reb87

Anybody know the rating for the front axle on a m35a2? I dont mean what the springs are rated but the actual axle rating. Thanks, Ross

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure, but my guess would be 12,000#. However the tires will probably be the limiting factor. DOT give us here, 450#'s/inch of tire. You can probably not ever overload it.

Lee in Alaska

reb87

I was looking on clark trucks website and they said the front axle is rated at 11000 and the tandems at 28000. Im thinking about putting a 16ft grain dump box on my m35a2 and wondered if it would handle 25000lbs payload(400bu corn). I guess according to them it would.Ross

Jakob

For the center of gravity and chassis of a M35, that seems like alot of weight. On top of that, you want to add a dump box. From what I've read on here, you'd need to upgrade the springs... add a pack or three?

CCATLETT1984

reb87 said:
I was looking on clark trucks website and they said the front axle is rated at 11000 and the tandems at 28000. Im thinking about putting a 16ft grain dump box on my m35a2 and wondered if it would handle 25000lbs payload(400bu corn). I guess according to them it would.Ross
That is way too much for a deuce to handle. To be honest, i dont think you'd be happy with a 5ton and that much weight.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
reb87 said:
You could probably haul that much but it's going to be slow if you've got any kind of hills to climb.

My cousin bought a M35A2 from me and has been hauling 28,000lbs of logs out of the woods but I wouldn't recomend it ( he's crazy and is going to turn the truck over one of these days). It's a sight to behold and not for the faint hearted :shock: .

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The center pivot point is between the two rear axles, or at about 7' (ahead of center), on its 12' bed. If you put a 16' bed on it, the center of the bed will be behind the center axle pivot point. that will take weight off the steering. You will either have to streach the frame, to get the weight right on the steering. I think I would just put a lift on it, with extra high sides. It would then, probably handle nicely, what you could get on.!

Lee in Alaska

CCATLETT1984

rosco said:
The center pivot point is between the two rear axles, or at about 7' (ahead of center), on its 12' bed. If you put a 16' bed on it, the center of the bed will be behind the center axle pivot point. that will take weight off the steering. You will either have to streach the frame, to get the weight right on the steering. I think I would just put a lift on it, with extra high sides. It would then, probably handle nicely, what you could get on.!

Lee in Alaska
So not only do you want to overload it, you want to raise the center of gravity and make it more prone to flip.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With this cargo, the CG of the load itself would end up about 24 inches above the surface of the bed. If my calculations are correct, the CG for the truck and cargo would end up about 53 inches above ground, 8 inches higher than a loaded m50 tanker truck.
The vehicle would begin to roll over at an angle of about 37 degrees.

Jakob

Does momentum have anything to do with that calculation? For example, if it was loaded down and hit a dip to the tune of maybe 20 or 25 degrees.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to overload the poor thing (not reccommended), consider 11.00 duallies for a higher weight rating, but you have to keep them at 55-60PSI since they are wider than 9.00's. I put commercial 18-wheelers tires on the front, rated for a substantial weight increase. But I would still never overload the truck.

reb87

Bottleworks,
The m818 and trailer post is mine. I have a m818,m35a2,m109a3. I am figuring on using my m35 to pull my jd 450c crawler/trailer and want a dump box for dirt. I thought about using it for hauling corn if we have a wet harvest. I just wanted to see how much the duece was rated for so I dont overload it. Ross

Attachments

BEASTMASTER

you guys can put all the springs on a deuce you wat .you can't upload the weight the wheel bearings can take before they disintergrate.you want to carry 10 tons buy a truck that is made to carry 10 tons.before you kill somebody!!!

reuben

I've hauled up to 11 tons on a chevy dump truck with single rear axle rated at 16000. with gravel it's slow going but not too top heavy, with a load of 80 railroad ties (270 lb ea) it's so top heavy I have to be very careful not to hit a dip on the road edge too fast or let it sway much. A somewhat edge of the nerves trip. A deuce with 2 rears still seems about the same for load capacity and spring capability, Brakes were an issue as well, when low range shifter wouldn't go in low range it became very hard to hold it on a steep downgrade.
Those loads are an overload and I wouldn't do it for a very long trip. I was hauling the ties about 30 miles but would only run around 35 mph max.
The chevy is a 1967 50 series with a great big hole in the floor between the left door and seat. brake booster keeps blowing on me, and I keep patching it up. I'd like to retire it, will as soon as I get the m52 going.

I find with overloading them the springs get soft feeling and feel like if it sways too much it would just keep going. (probably would)