• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 front tires

ger84

help with front tires. I just purchased a Deuce and half and the front tire cut on the tread. It goes around half the tire. It looks like its cracking. Any ideas. I have called many places and nobody can get a tire for it. lol Its a 9.00x20. Fidelity Tire. any help would be greatly appriciated or ideas. its for the front tire. i am thinking 2 new front tires and maybe something cheap but good on the road instead of the curving bubble like tire. Any help? I live in NJ- central north-western New Jersey. Near clinton/flemington/washington area. rt 57 and 31. HELP?!?!?! Thanks guys/gals.

Gerald:lost:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call Berg tire, they ship and are reasonable. (Google military Berg tire and it should come up.)

ger84

Call Berg tire, they ship and are reasonable. (Google military Berg tire and it should come up.)

thanks but I am looking for someone to also install and put the tire on also. I am not to familar yet with this truck but it looks like a split rim but not sure. The rim is connected all the way around except for one place on the rim. I have called around 10 places and nobody knows. i found many places that i can get shipped the tire but i like to see the tire that i buy or maybe 2 nicer front tires for this beast. Thanks:beer:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have bought 100% new Fidelitys in the past from berg (think they were $75). Not everyone does mounting of split rims, but I guarantee there's someone within a short drive from you. There's always the dealers up there too for a used take-off.

SMOKEWAGON66

i would suggest that if you do find someone who can bust that split rim for you, ask him to show you how its done. Its a good skill to know so you can do it at home. Just remember the key word though SAFETY! split rims can be dangerous. Invest in a pick/mattocks, a couple good tire spoons, and a 15 foot clip on air chuck.

DMiz

I would sugest buying a tire allready mounted dosnt have to be new, and i wouldnt really worry about getting two unless the other side is undesirable. You can change the tire yourslf I hope, maybe look at western millitary surplus or somplace closer to you and buy a four way and a bottle jack. But learnin to mount a tire youself isnt a bad idea within the near future

ger84

I have bought 100% new Fidelitys in the past from berg (think they were $75). Not everyone does mounting of split rims, but I guarantee there's someone within a short drive from you. There's always the dealers up there too for a used take-off.
I just called berg and he is out of stock of the fidelitys. :(

i did call a few more places and they have something but its for tractor trailer tires. I want the zipper military tires. lol

ger84

thanks looking into it.

ger84

Obiviously, your over your head. If you start with the tech manual, you will do everyone a favor.
gee thanks- not over my head- I have a computer in which it is very useful and thought that this site could help broaden my ideas of this truck. Never had one this size before.- Its a learning process and 26 years old.

ger84

I would sugest buying a tire allready mounted dosnt have to be new, and i wouldnt really worry about getting two unless the other side is undesirable. You can change the tire yourslf I hope, maybe look at western millitary surplus or somplace closer to you and buy a four way and a bottle jack. But learnin to mount a tire youself isnt a bad idea within the near future
yes i can change a normal car tire on my own. Looked around for used tires with it on the rim already but looking at a 300 mile trip one way. not really feeling that drive when i can just buy a new tire for the front. Its either buy a new front tire to replace the one thats messed up and cut up or buy 2 new ones with a tractor trailer style tread for a smoother ride.:| so far i am split on which way to go.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can find 9:00 X 20 NDT tires all over, ranging from NOS to good used ones. It is also relatively easy to find some already mounted on wheels. If you do buy tires only, I would recommend buying new tubes for the tires. I pay a local guy $25.00 to change out tires for me. It's good to know how to change out a lock ring wheel, but it can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and a lot of work. If one of your front tires is damaged, please don't drive the truck. Tire failure on the front can end very badly!

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, you got Eastern Surplus there in Jersey, they should be able to help. The ad is usually at the top of the page.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ger84,

The brand of the tire is not important. Fidelity may not have made tires in 25 years - do you really want a 25 year old tire? What you really need to concentrate on is that the tire is a 9.00 x 20 NDT (NDCC) military tire. Eastern has them, Berg has them, there will be people at the Gilbert (PA) show that will have them, already on the rim for between $75 and $150 (est) each. In the meantime, READ the manuals, read the deuce threads that have already been posted (there are thousands here in the deuce forum). Be an informed purchaser. I 'know' how to change a split rim tire, but I'll only do it in an emergency when I can pay a truck tire dealer $25 to do it right in the first place. HTH.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They are NOT split rims, they are lock rings. It is pretty easy to swap them out on your own(you will sweat though). If you don't want to mess with it, a tire shop can do them for about $15-50. As stated, any 900-20 will work. I would shop for a Titan T-hawk as they are the latest production 900 tires. I have a thread that shows how to break down the tire if you need a link, let me know.

rlwm211

GER84...The Redball Gilbert show is in a couple of weeks. That is pretty close to you and I would think you can find some used and new tires there prety easily.

You can also check the classifieds on this site for good take-offs. I saw several ads in there with east coast vendors and members selling them.

I welcome you to this forum and once you get used to how most folks think, you will find people here are the best

At some point all of the members here were new to military vehciles. There is a learning curve and that is normal for life and par for the course.

I would suggest downloading the manuals for your truck. Take the time to read through the operators manual. Also, in the list of TM's at JATONKA is a DEUCE CHECKLIST and this will educate you on the components of your truck and what they are called.

While no one here will spoon feed you information and solve your problems, pretty much everyone here will bend over backwards to help a member who shows that they are searching and trying to learn on this site and who have read the manual about their problem and to be honest, it is obvious when someone has done so.

The advice about moving the tires you are concerned about to the rear and moving two good ones forward is sound and what I would do in a pinch.

Here is a link to the redball show.

2011 Gilbert Info

Best of luck and I know if you are patient you will find some tires at a good price.

RL

Last edited: