• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 Fuel Fiter

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I won't enter into the fram debacle, but I'd suggest anyone shopping to look at the ISO filtration results...

Anyhow, I suggest buying the filters and gaskets from rockauto. I bought two complete sets for ~$40 shipped.

emr

the filters with the wider hole are also in uncle sams inventory and work just fine, they center out and work, they are or were used all the time in the units around here, and come with the nsn #s on em so they are not purchased separetly just sayin, .. :)

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't enter into the fram debacle, but I'd suggest anyone shopping to look at the ISO filtration results...

Anyhow, I suggest buying the filters and gaskets from rockauto. I bought two complete sets for ~$40 shipped.

patracy, Nice prices, do you have p/n for the fillers?

Thanks, :beer:

Akicita

I bought the primary fuel filter conversion kit from Cimarron who is also a member of this group. For $110 I got the new head, filter and gasket. Next time I need a new filter, I can walk into any NAPA store and buy one. Removing the old filter and spinning a new one on takes about a minute.

I agree with collectors who want to keep original parts in their MV's but for convenience in a work truck, spin-on is the way to go in my opinion.

Attachments

DieselBob

I keep chiming in with the jatonka spin on primary. It is heads and shoulders better than the stock primary. Try it, you will like it.
Think I might splurge for a set of spin on fuel filters for Christmas. Was out exercising the deuce last weekend and when I returned home I was playing musical vehicles and letting the deuce idle. I went over to shutdown the deuce and drain the air tanks and low an behold it wasn't running. Never done that before. :roll: I jumped in and pressed the starter button. Engine spins nice and fast but not a hint of cylinder firing. Not a hint of smoke at all from the stack. In tank pump is running. Opened bleeder on the secondary / final filter mount and nothing. Just replaced in tank pump last year with a new one that can't have the bottom fall apart so I felt pretty sure that wasn't the problem. So I figure start with the filters. After spending about 45 minutes in the dark (had a drop light) changing filters and gaskets I hit the master switch and in about 15 ~ 20 seconds the fuel comes blowing out the bleeder like old faithful. I let the in tank pump run about a minute and pressed the starter button and the engine purrs to life in 2 ~ 3 revolutions. Moral of the story is with the original cartridge filters that I have this would have been a big PITA if it didn't happen in my driveway. Just my 2cents

Fram gets a bad rap from some guy who posted on the internet when he took one apart.

Most of the time people complain about the cardboard bottom and glue. They then tell stories that the cardboard comes apart and the engine blows up, killing all small children in a 3 block radius.

The fact is that FRAM filters are just as good as any other filter. Many engineers have debunked the cardboard claim with facts and the jist is that:

1. cardboard is paper.
2. filter elements are paper
3. If cardboard is so bad (ie it melts in the presence of oil) then ALL paper based elements are bad for the same reason.

I'm sure there are 'parts snobs' that only use Mobile 1 or Royal Purple 110% synthetic oil and change it every 100 miles :-? these guys are usually the loudest and least informed. Youtube is full of insta-engineers that have had NO problems with the FRAM filter till they opened one up.

OK, run with that.

Where are the youtube videos of all these 'disintegrated' FRAM fitlers? Its a myth like GL5/MT-1 lubes insta destroy brass parts.
Sorry as a professional mechanic i have seen the disintegration of filter media in fram filters. I will concede that it only happens on vehicles that are poorly maintained. But why pay a preimun price for a filter that preforms worse than Wixs or Napas second line filters. I will also add i use and like Allied Signal products except for their filters. when i had my auto parts store i had a wix, fram, Kragens store brand and a pro tec which is wixs generic line cut open on display. the only filter with poorer and less filtering media was the Kragens filter. but it did have a string around the middle with a pretty bow knot tied in it. FOR WHAT YOU PAY FRAM IS JUNK. Just that, it is over priced second line stuff.

Last edited:

Preacherboy

I am purchasing all my filters from fleetfilter.com and they are good prices and I might as well order whole cases! They beat the price of any local place even with shipping added.

I am getting a case of the 33512 secondaries, a case of the 51133 oil filters, a 24770 filter base and 2 33405's to make my dad's truck have a primary spin on filter.

Plus I am getting a case of 51060 oil filters for my 6.5 turbo diesel (the same as in Hummer's).

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have the correct secondary filters with the correct gaskets for $5 each plus shipping. I doubt you'll find them anywhere else cheaper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks