• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Heater Options

I put a heater in mine from summit racing. Just under $200 and I installed a 24v to 12v transformer to run it. Works good enough for the winter driving I do especially with how poorly sealed the cab is with a non-insulated vinyl top.

Attachments

INFChief

I used to install a second water heater under the seat & plumb it in. We did that with M151’s & 5Tons too.

If you use a fuel fired heater be absolutely sure to vent the exhaust properly. I used to take small military fuel heaters for Gamagoats and mount those in M151’s. Germany gets mighty cold! We’d take the heaters from 113’s and mount those our 2.5 Ton “tool trucks”. You would have to plumb a fuel pump into the tank or run it off of a nurse jug. Having a heater control box for these is essential. The 113 heaters will blow you out of a boxed-in deuce so imagine what something like that would do in the front of a cab! Yowser.

No idea what civilian fuel fired heaters are available.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to drive me Deuce in the winter and I live in ND and this is what I did to make the truck usable in the winter.
Seal all the holes in the firewall and make sure door and window seals a decent
insulated the inside roof of the cab with tractor insulation about an inch thick
opened up the trans cover inside the cab and ran fatmat or any like product to insulate that area
GET THE HEATER BOX INSIDE THE CAB!! Another person made that suggestion and ABSOLUTELY that is required! When I got rid of my under the hood heater unit and converted everything to inside the cab that made about a 200% difference in the ability of the heater to keep the cab warm!
You are going to need a block heater for the engine, they go into a frost plug and you can have it on a timer or run it all night whatever but the engine should have the frost plug heater on for at least a couple hours prior to startup.
Arctic kit is another very big help in keeping the cab warm with the most important piece being the front cover! Having that on will allow the engine to come up to temp faster and you will be able to much better maintain that heat level. The cover for the hood made very little sense to me and accomplished nothing that I could ever tell.

Plug the truck in and have good batteries and your in good shape!

Bhussey

Heater 2.jpgHeater 1.jpg

Thank you everyone for the great feedback and advice. I had planned on purchasing a Chinese fuel fired heater to test out. However as you can tell from the pictures I stumbled across a decently priced take out fuel fired heater with fuel pump and control. Any advice on installing it? feed fuel from truck tank? Put in a stand alone tank?

Will post more pictures when I have it in hand.

INFChief

View attachment 864121View attachment 864122

Thank you everyone for the great feedback and advice. I had planned on purchasing a Chinese fuel fired heater to test out. However as you can tell from the pictures I stumbled across a decently priced take out fuel fired heater with fuel pump and control. Any advice on installing it? feed fuel from truck tank? Put in a stand alone tank?

Will post more pictures when I have it in hand.
I suggest using a stand alone 5 gallon military style metal can (nurse jug). That’s great you got the fuel pump and control box! There’s a specific way to start these things or you could damage the flame detector switch or igniter.

MOST importantly; be sure the exhaust is properly vented and ALL connections tight. See if you can funnel fresh outside air to feed it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks