• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 in Barstow CA, in need of a tow

Titanium Soldier

Hi everyone, i am brand new to this forum, as i am also brand new to the deuce! I just closed auction on one (M35A2) from the Barstow CA yard, and in the near future i am looking to find someone to tow it about 60 miles to Mojave CA. So if anyone can help me out lemme know! ide rather give my business to someone on here than joe schmuck trucker!! Thanks!
:beer:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can't find a trucker or a flatbed, I can probably come up and help. I have spare tires, a tow bar and a wicked set of tools. I'm also recently retired and kinda bored. Will work for fuel and food. I have a base sticker so we can get right on and off base without any hassles.

Titanium Soldier

Hmmm, a tow bar would work i suppose, i have a crew cab longbed 2500HD , not a problem to tow it..... just gotta figure out how to stop it!!:shock: Thank you for the offer! ill let you know if i can figure out a situation, might have to take you up on it though!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um, no F ing way you can tow a deuce with a pick up. I have a 2500HD crew cab with a real 8 foot bed and the Duramax and we call that my little truck. I would bring my deuce if there was any thoughts of flat towing it. We would only flat tow it if we couldn't get it running and stopping safely.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M109 is currently laid up with a blown head gasket (and it is too hot to work on it), but I can certainly meet with Dug and help out of needed.

Bighurt

I've pulled my M35 with a F350 when it had no batteries and was blocking a path in the backyard. It's quite the feat, would never do it more than a few feet.

Hundy would be my first shot, he'd probably do as part of delivering new wheels and tires...:)

Best to ask. You can figure a tow would be around $200, from a wrecker service.

SMOKEWAGON66

Well as i told you the other day Titanium, if you were to tow it with your pickup, you'd def need the proper set up and trailer...like this one below. Thats how we got mine home, 100+ miles from barstow to Tehachapi. I wouldnt recommend it...was my only option, and my 2 buddys and I are (were) professional truck drivers. Safety was the number 1 concern as always.

I would have to agree with the Fellas above..i didnt even think to suggest Hundy...anyhoo let me know how it turns out and ill be glad to go along and assist if you need it.

Attachments

Truckoholic

I have an M35a2 to pickup there as well probably just about the same time yours will need picked up. Although this will be my 5th purchase through GL so my EUC might clear quicker than yours if this is your first. But anyway, I have a big truck and trailer and if I go get my M35a2 myself rather than paying someone else to haul it up here for me, I will be going right by Mojave on my way back, and it's possible I could also haul yours and come back through Mojave and drop it off on my way through or something.

trailer.jpg

I am determined to figure out a way to fit two deuces on this trailer because I really would like to be able to recover two at a time. It can handle the weight no problem, it's just a matter of fitting them on there. Got a total length of 36 feet, while two deuces would take up 44 feet. If I chain up the rear axle of one deuce and back it on to where the front rear axle is right at the front of the trailer with the back sticking out over the deck behind the cab of my truck, that would free up about 6 feet or more of deck, then the second deuce could nose up to the first one, so the rear could hang over the back of the trailer. So I'm almost positive that it's possible.

Forgive my crude quick photoshop job.

trailer2.jpg

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, when I said no way to tow it with a pick up, I was referring to tow baring it. Not sure which model 2500 is rated to tow 13,000+ even with the proper trailer. And I would have no problem moving a deuce out of the way if needed with a pick up, but not with a tow bar and not 60 miles.

Anyway, the last few times I've been to Barstow they have wanted me to get things done and move along, even if it was just off of their lot. They will let you do some basic stuff, but nothing like changing filters, dog bones or bleeding brakes.

If needed we can get it off of their lot pretty easily with another deuce and a tow bar.

Just LMK what you end up with.

SMOKEWAGON66

Well, when I said no way to tow it with a pick up, I was referring to tow baring it.

... I hope you didnt take my post as a dig at what you said...wasnt meant to be. I knew you meant flat towing. Ive talked face to face with Titanium and was just putting up that pic so he could see what i told him about.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I hope you didnt take my post as a dig at what you said...wasnt meant to be. I knew you meant flat towing. Ive talked face to face with Titanium and was just putting up that pic so he could see what i told him about.

No dig taken. I thought MY message wasn't clear.

Titanium Soldier

I have an M35a2 to pickup there as well probably just about the same time yours will need picked up. Although this will be my 5th purchase through GL so my EUC might clear quicker than yours if this is your first. But anyway, I have a big truck and trailer and if I go get my M35a2 myself rather than paying someone else to haul it up here for me, I will be going right by Mojave on my way back, and it's possible I could also haul yours and come back through Mojave and drop it off on my way through or something.

View attachment 270740

I am determined to figure out a way to fit two deuces on this trailer because I really would like to be able to recover two at a time. It can handle the weight no problem, it's just a matter of fitting them on there. Got a total length of 36 feet, while two deuces would take up 44 feet. If I chain up the rear axle of one deuce and back it on to where the front rear axle is right at the front of the trailer with the back sticking out over the deck behind the cab of my truck, that would free up about 6 feet or more of deck, then the second deuce could nose up to the first one, so the rear could hang over the back of the trailer. So I'm almost positive that it's possible.

Forgive my crude quick photoshop job.

View attachment 270743
That sounds like a great idea! If you want, PM me when ur euc clears, maybe mine will who knows, more than willing to throw some bucks ur way :eek:

And to all the others, thank you for your suggestions, i really gotta ck out Mr Hundy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks