• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 injection pump removal

orrisd4

Ok so here is my issue , I had to take the entire body of the old girl ; the rust was just that bad.

I have a new cab waiting to go on this weekend , as such i need to take the steering box out to replace the seals , Only way i can see to do this is to pull the injector pump off for clearance.

I have tried the search feature on here , it was of little help. So can anyone point me in the right direction , or list a tm number where i might find this?

Thanks

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the body off, remove 3 engine mounting bolts. Losen the passenger side rear bolt. lift the front of the engine and swing it to the passenger side. If this isn't a option, you can replace the output shaft seal in place. Remove the pitman arm and using a seal puller pry it out and tap the new one in place.

orrisd4

i lack access to a forklift or crane ATM. so i need the steering column/box removed to place the new cab on , with it being removed being able to change the seals is just a bonus.

edit: as the steering wheel is also more or less destroyed , the steering assembly being removed will make it a lot easier to get that fixed as well

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Even with the IP off the motor, it is no fun!

I decided to put a new IP on my motor while I was doing the headgaskets. I decided while the IP was off, to put in the new steering column I had sitting here. It took over an hour.

Yes, loosening the motor mounts and jacking the motor away comes in very handy!!!!

orrisd4

ok gimpy , sounds like good advise.

So if i have this correct , remove the IP, loosen engine mount bolts , fight the steering unit out ,
rebuild steering unit , mount cab then reassemble ?

If that's the case i still could use some info on where to find the IP removal procedure.

orrisd4

ok so i'm going to swallow my pride and just ask , after searching all my books and this site for over an hour , can anyone just tell me witch of the three markings on the harmonic balance is the correct timing mark for an LDT-465-1C?

As i need to pick up a new 1 5/8 socket tomorrow this really didn't hold me up too bad , still a tad irritating.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would look at taking off the fender. I just took the steering box off to replace the steering column and install a power steering unit. We took the fender off and the steering box was no problem.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is 3 marks on the balancer, use the top mark if you have a turbo. Should say LDS/LDT.

Also, I wouldn't use the balancer bolt to turn the motor. Put the trans in 4th gear and the T case in neutral, then turn the short shaft with a prybar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks