• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Insurance in Pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akicita

Pennsylvania seems to be tough state to insure an M35A2 in. I had no luck looking for a company that wants my business. I contacted the companies that insure my other vehicles and several other companies that some of you mentioned in other threads. It's always been the same story: First they don't know what I'm talking about when I mention the M35A2, then they realize that this truck weighs more than 12,000 lbs, and they give me their version of "No way, Jose." Can anyone offer some advice, please ?

I'm 55, have a clean driving record, good credit rating, no accidents, have a PA class "B" license (for vehicles weighing more than 26,000 lbs), and want to insure an M35A2 (not bobbed) for personal use (not for commercial use). I'm in Southeastern PA. I never had this problem with any of the non-MVs I insured over the years. What's wrong with this picture ?
Jeff

rockman

Jeff, when I lived in PA, I had my M35 with antique tags and paid about $300 per year with Erie. It was a commercial policy due to weight but was noted for personal use only. Why the heavy weight for your plate?

Bill

Coal Cracker

I have an Antique tag, no inspection, and am insured through Hagerty.
I have all of my other classic and antiques insured through them, they are full aware what an M35A2 is, and had no problemo insuring me. I only use ocassionally for pleasure.
I've also contacted my State Farm agent before hagerty and they we're going to give me a policy for approx 300 a year, hagerty is $75.00 full coverage and agreed value.

Akicita

Thank you all for your feedback. I'll try Erie and Hagerty next. I've never heard of Katz.
I don't want antique plates because I want to be free to actually use the truck for my landscaping projects around my house, haul lumber from the lumberyard, etc.

I'll post a follow-up later. Maybe this thread will help the next guy who runs into this problem.

Happy trucking !
Jeff

Last edited:

gunboy1656

I have regular plates on my truck. I am rated by the state as a class 6 truck, up to 17,000 pounds.

My truck is regular plate, insurance is commercial (due to size)

hof3414

I live near Pittsburgh and my truck is registered class 7 with regular plates. Erie insurance is about $260.00 for the year with liability only.

Chevyman_15237

I'm going to be purchasing a '68 M35A2 deuce off of a friend here once the snow melts... shouldn't it be a class 8? I want to do regular registration so I can haul with it here and there... It would be nice to get away with the $75 classic/antique plates but the fine is not worth it!

-BMarree

gunboy1656

Should it be a class 8, yes. does it have to be, NO. I was asked how much weight i needed it for and told them. the lowest i could go, and thats what I got.

Man, there are a bunch of people very close to me that I didnt know.

Wozdirt

I am South of Pittsburgh. Mine is registered for 18000 GVW with truck tags. (not antique or classic). I added mine to my existing Travelers insurance policy without a problem. Not sure if they really know what the truck is though.

hof3414

When I went to buy my truck it was registered class 8. When the lady told me registration was $400 a year I was a little shocked (first time registering anything besides pick up truck). I asked if I needed to stay at that class rating. She said I could drop one class and it would save me $50 and still be legal up to 21,000# I believe. So thats why mine is class 7 instead of class 8. Also she said I could always go back up if I needed to.

duecedodger

Hi guys I also live in PA and am thinking about getting a M35A2C wo/w, The problem I might have with insurance is that I'm 19 no accidents, but I alittle worried about what they would say since of my age. Also I have Erie for my car and that is who im going to try to get the deuce insured by. any thoughts on how age affects insurance for a vehicle this size would be helpful.
Thanks Frank.

duecedodger

Hi guys I also live in PA and am thinking about getting a M35A2C wo/w, The problem I might have with insurance is that I'm 19 no accidents, but I alittle worried about what they would say since of my age. Also I have Erie for my car and that is who im going to try to get the deuce insured by. any thoughts on how age affects insurance for a vehicle this size would be helpful.
Thanks Frank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks