• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 knock

TAZZJR

Hairline cracks on the heads are normal to an extent, especially if the heads are older and are not from the last castings in the late 1980' . The TM specifically mentions that the cracks within specs do not make a head unserviceable.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Not to discredit you I just want to read to insure I know what I'm looking at and for. Where in the tm is this mentioned?

ToddJK

Did your truck have any blowby? Depending on how bad that crack is could be a source to one issue, but I don't think that helps the knocking issue though. I'm curious to see what you discover as you dig deeper as to what the knock was caused from.

rustystud

Honestly it's a rod knock, or severe piston slap. That test you did by eliminating the injector is a classic test for rod knock. Remove the fuel and there's no pressure so no knock. Same applies to gas engines. Remove the spark plug wire and listen for the knock to go away. You don't always have a pressure drop either. That would mean severe bearing failure.

TAZZJR

Honestly it's a rod knock, or severe piston slap. That test you did by eliminating the injector is a classic test for rod knock. Remove the fuel and there's no pressure so no knock. Same applies to gas engines. Remove the spark plug wire and listen for the knock to go away. You don't always have a pressure drop either. That would mean severe bearing failure.
I'll be dropping the pan soon and checking the rod bearings.

rustystud

There is a low tech tool to test the bearings.
Unbolt the rod cap, apply some Plastigage.
That will show you what the bearings are doing...
That will check the rod bearings, but the wrist pin bushing and piston skirt collapse cannot be tested without pulling out the piston assembly. Though you can get a feel for the piston by grabbing the rod and pulling it hard back and forth and see how the piston moves in the bore. Should be no movement.
I once checked an engine's pistons this way and found one that was ready to swap bores !

TAZZJR

Without getting into things that are not truck related that delayed me, I was finally able to finish the rebuild. I rebuilt the heads a while back, replaced the pistons and barrings, added spin on oil filters, and added a thermocoupler to the exhaust manifold.

The final issue that has held me up for months has been getting it to simply crank.
Turned out to be a fix of some residual air in the diesel lines and fine adjustment of the valves. Once the valves were finally adjusted correctly it started like it had ran for years.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that helped me out. I couldn't have done it with out yall.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without getting into things that are not truck related that delayed me, I was finally able to finish the rebuild. I rebuilt the heads a while back, replaced the pistons and barrings, added spin on oil filters, and added a thermocoupler to the exhaust manifold.

The final issue that has held me up for months has been getting it to simply crank.
Turned out to be a fix of some residual air in the diesel lines and fine adjustment of the valves. Once the valves were finally adjusted correctly it started like it had ran for years.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that helped me out. I couldn't have done it with out yall.

Glad you got her going again!
So what went bad to cause the knock?

TAZZJR

Glad you got her going again!
So what went bad to cause the knock?
Head gasket and pistons were the only thing I saw that was bad in the entire rebuild. I believe the rhythmic noise was the gasket blowing by between the heads. I did alot of troubleshooting to follow the noise to find it between the heads. I have a video somewhere that I shoved a paper towl between the heads and watched it blow by.

I called it a knock but I never found any metal on metal wear to cause a knock. The noise is gone. So the head gasket is the only thing I know that would cause the rhythmic noise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks