• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Log Truck

treessw

OK, so I have not been on here much in the last month or so. After the SS Ga. Rally my foot started getting better and I really had to get back to work but now with some extra rain days this time of the year I have had time to start putting together a log truck. Really just using this thing for short local hauls here in town. Actually remembered to take some pic's this time. Enjoy!!

Still I would like to single out (really just for the cool factor) but the NDC's will work for now. :driver: Hope Everyone is doing well!!!!!

Attachments

treessw

Danger Ranger- yeah just gonna be a hauler, thought about putting a knuckleboom off the back may still do it, just need to find another knuckle boom:beer:. I have the one on the truck in the pic that is lifting the bull board on to it. I also have a prentice 210c that is a stationary deal. I am always open for ideas though. We can chip into the truck with the knuckleboom and logs can be lifted onto the other truck if need be. Ive got the tops off the white truck right now. Just gonna see where this leads I guess

poppop

Hey treesaw, I am glad you are getting better. I enjoyed being your neighbor at the Rally and your company on the convoy. MERRY CHRISTMAS

dilligaf13

What do you think of an M36A2 with a knuckle boom? It would give you the best of both world's plus it would look cool. Nice headache rack on the log truck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you figure the weight of a knuckle boom and a load of logs, I think you'd want a 5-ton. Just the log bunk should do fine. My cousin has a M35A2 with a set of log bolsters on it. He said about 1,000 ft of logs is all you wanted on it.

pwrwagonfire

Hey looks great! Wish you were up here in Mass, I got my BS Degree in Forestry, and I've been disparately searching for work I'd hit you up! :oops:

Plus I've got a ton of deuce experience! haha oh well

treessw

Going to the longer chassis would be nice but I am just using this one for hauling. I like the ideas you guys have though!!!!! I do have to agree with m16ty on the weight factor though

After you figure the weight of a knuckle boom and a load of logs, I think you'd want a 5-ton. Just the log bunk should do fine. My cousin has a M35A2 with a set of log bolsters on it. He said about 1,000 ft of logs is all you wanted on it.
This will be nice for the short hauls though.

Last edited:

treessw

Hey looks great! Wish you were up here in Mass, I got my BS Degree in Forestry, and I've been disparately searching for work I'd hit you up! :oops:

Plus I've got a ton of deuce experience! haha oh well
If you were closer I would tell you to come on!!!!!! Its hard to find anyone with the experience or the education. It is a bit of a dying breed. We do mostly selective harvesting when it comes to the logging aspect. We are arborists by trade so we do alot of maintenance.

treessw

Hey treesaw, I am glad you are getting better. I enjoyed being your neighbor at the Rally and your company on the convoy. MERRY CHRISTMAS
Lloyd-

Thanks for letting me ride!!!! Especially with my foot/leg still being busted!!!! Could not have asked for a better neighbor!! LOL Merry Christmas to you as well

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I love seeing these trucks put to work. I imagine there are several purists out there cringing at your modifications but this is better that it setting on a lot rusting away. the farmer across the street was blown away when my son was moving hay with a 818. They are not used to a road tractor that also has front wheel drive when ever the back starts to spin. Good job. We need a pic of the deuce loaded with logs...

treessw

atankersdad- I agree, I like being able to put these to work and when others have ideas for them as well! Yes the "Purists" will cringe but I feel in the grand scheme of things I could have definitely done MUCH worse. I use My 818 for hauling as well!!!! I like when others continue to use theirs for work and hobby. I will get you a pic ASAP when I get this baby loaded!!!!

spicergear

:ditto:
You can run out of capacity pretty quickly with logs on a deuce...and quicker yet with 3,000lbs or more of crane.

MikeON

Picked up this 35" diameter, 12' long red oak log on Monday. 2 electric winches roll the log up the ramps (parbuckling). One winch would do, but 2 prevent the log from going askew coming up the ramps.

Attachments

treessw

Nice!!!! Good looking log!!! Had it been laying for a bit or is that snow on it? Almost looks like the outside bit may be a little punky.

Here is your volume: Depends on which you perfer so I put both. If you are doing firewood, One cord of wood is 1,536 board feet.

670 Board Feet (Scribner)
721 Board Feet (Doyle)

MikeON

The log was about a year old and yes, it is punky about 1" around the outside. The wood is still solid and good color except for about an inch on the outside. I've cut older oak logs and got nice wood.
I'm planning to quartersaw this and make some stair treads.

quickfarms

the commercial use of military trucks is the reason that memphis, boyce, antelope valley and many others got into selling parts.

the collectors are only a small part of the market.

If the envirmentalists do not get in the way the old military trucks make great off highway or short haul work trucks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks