• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 low power, white smoke & rough idle

o1951

That narrow section is where the gasket blew. It's off to the machine shop for a resurfacing job on both heads. QUOTE said:
Suggest checking block too. Occasionally, I used to find similar low spots between cylinders.

The HUlk

Is there something specific that causes these gaskets to fail often and/or is it something that can be prevented to some extent? (I'm a gas engine guy so maybe it's a diesel thing) Seems like I see or have seen a lot of posts about failed head gaskets, could be only because people never post about how well or long their head gaskets last I suppose. Are there any MF's out there with head gasket that have lasted "forever"?
My guess would be intesnse heat is what degrades the gaskets. Because the place between the cylinders has the least amount of mass it gets hotter degrading quicker. Using the highest quality and heat rated gasket available may help extend the frequency between replacing them and reduce the risk of engine damage.

rustystud

My guess would be intesnse heat is what degrades the gaskets. Because the place between the cylinders has the least amount of mass it gets hotter degrading quicker. Using the highest quality and heat rated gasket available may help extend the frequency between replacing them and reduce the risk of engine damage.
The later head gaskets have a better "fire ring" then the older two piece ones. If you have the money you can have a circle cut into the heads for the fire rings to set into. The guys who run these engines in tractor pulls do that trick. It allows for more compression also.

TB58

The later head gaskets have a better "fire ring" then the older two piece ones. If you have the money you can have a circle cut into the heads for the fire rings to set into. The guys who run these engines in tractor pulls do that trick. It allows for more compression also.
If you were to have them cut the circles would you use the standard fire ring that is part of the later gaskets, or would you find a thicker one?

Cantrade

Well, the good news is that I think I can close this thread out. I had the heads milled .005" each and they came out flat as Florida. I reassembled the engine using the new upgraded head gaskets and it started and ran after about 3 tries. The head gasket set from Memphis Equip was really complete. The engine starts quickly, has the expected power and doesn't have excessive smoke. What more can you ask?

Thanks to everyone of you guys that offered suggestions and ideas about this repair. I know much more about my engine now which is a good thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks