• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Mirror Bracket/Support Question

maynard83

One of the bolts or screws sheared off my mirror bracket/support on the passenger side mirror.
Can someone help me with the size of this thing?
Is it one long bolt or screw that runs the length of the mirror or 2 separate ones?
Is it easy to replace?
I suppose I can get one at the hardware store.
I just don't want to take it off for fear of breaking the top one and I am not a mechanic and have limited tools to work with and yes I did check the forum search function (for several hours) before posting.
Or if I can buy it from someone here that would be better.
Many thanks!

Attachments

dkeven

threaded rod can be used to replace this just use the original to get proper diameter and cut to length which goes through all pieces with just enough for the nuts plus a thread or two on each end, I would use nylock type nuts also Can be purchased at Home Depot or any competent hardware store.

maynard83

Boy. Some of you are like blood hounds for finding information. I couldn't for the life of me find that image in the TM's Diesel Bob found.
Thank you guys!

Freight Dog

I did what Phil did. I went to, Hardware Hank and bought 1/4", threaded rod. Cut it to length with a hack saw and put stainless washers and, "Nylock" fasteners on it.

If the old one is rusted, you might need a vise to hold part #14 (in the TM picture). Let a little penetrating oil drip inside. Then you can knock the old rod out with a punch and a hammer.

Put the new threaded rod through part #14, re-assemble the the mirror parts, she'll be good as new.:grin:

Freight Dog

97Beast

Funny! I also broke that same rod on my passenger side this past sunday. I wasnt sure if it was a solid rod or two studs, but I eventually got it all taken apart.
I'm going to get some stainless 1/4" rod, nuts, and some fiber washers, and it should be as good as new. I'll probably take care of the other side while i'm at it.[thumbzup]

The advice in this thread is spot on. I had to replace the bolt on my passenger side mirror tonight. Below are pictures of the parts and the badly rusted old bolt. I used sealing washers because I figured they would provide a little bit of flex/give. From the trails at the SSGR I learned how important it is for the mirrors to be able to fold in (bigger trees don't move so your mirrors should). The old bolt did not want to come out easily. I had to really pound on it to get it loose. Other than that, pretty easy.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks