• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 no fuel at injectors

Well,

I parked my M35A2 a couple or maybe three years ago. I wanted to get it started other day. So, I put in a set of batteries and turned on the switch and hit the starter button. Usually after sitting a few months it cranks for about 15 seconds and then starts. This time nothing. No puffs of smoke or nothing. I turned the switch off and raised the hood. Opened the top air bleeds of the fuel filters and turned the switch on. Some air came out and then fuel. Closed those and tried to crank again. Nothing. Cracked the line at the injection head and turned switch on, fuel was there. Cracked injector lines, cranked and no fuel there. Ah, must be the fuel shut off that is stuck. Pulled off side cover and the lever is at 7 o'clock. So, I pulled the bolt in the top of the injection head. The one that covers the plunger. I placed a pencil in the hole and had my son turn on the switch, diesel pumped out. I had him crank the engine, the pencil went up and down. Put the bolt back in and cranked. Still nothing at injectors. Now what? Should I take out the delivery valve screw and see if there is fuel there?

Thanks,

John

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That thing that you said is at 7 'clock, does that move from that position to the firewall freely? If you push it back toward the firewall, it should spring back forward on its own. Let me know.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your fuel shutoff is indeed stuck. Remove the cover again and move the lever back and forth. There should be no binding. Use some carb cleaner to free it up.

alot of times this lever will stick inthe wide open throttle position. Makes for a fun first start.

I took off the fender to get a better view and not work all cramped up. The lever does more freely toward the firewall and snap back to the 7 o'clock position. I had my son once again turn the lever on and push the starter. I see the gear with the read mark whirl around. I even held the lever at 6 and then 5 o'clock and nothing came out the injector lines.

John

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

I would try giving it a whiff of starter fluid. On some of the deuces I have swapped IPs or hydraulic heads, that is all they need to get them going. They usually start on their own after that. The 7 o'clock position is where it needs to be to run, toward the firewall is the "off" position, just wanted to see if it was free.

I gave it a whiff of starting fluid this morning and it started for a couple of seconds. Still no fuel at the injetors. I gave it a second whiff and still no fuel. Should I pull the injection head? If that button fell off the end of the plunger will the plunger still move up and down? What about the delivery valve on the side of the head?

Thanks,

John

gimpyrobb

That was going to be my next suggestion. Yes, if the button falls off it will still go up and down. Sounds like its time to pull the hydraulic head.

The 12pt bolt on the side of the head? I wouldn't touch that.

Well,

I pulled the injection head off. It was easier than I thought. The hardest thing to do was to pull the fan blade little by little whikle my son watched for the red mark on the gear. And low and behold that button was off. How that spring type washer came off is beyond me. So I was careful to see the which end was facing up and put it back together. I had to go to my local hydraulic supplier and get the three O-rings. The guy just tossed them on the counter and said "see you later". He said he would catch me next time on the price. So, out the door I went with my free O-rings. I put them on the head, turned the gear so the read marked tooth was in the right spot and slipped it back on. Bolted it down and reinstalled the injector lines, leaving the nuts at the injector end loose to bleed the air out. I put the thrid O-ring on the fuel shut off and got that aligned and put the two srews on. What I noticed if I tightened both screws tight, the lever doesn't move. If I push teh lever toward the cowl and loosen the screws about a quarter turn the lever will snap to the 7 o'clock position. So, I left that in that position. Turned the switch on, bleed the two scresws at the top of the fuel filter, Then I cranked the engine until fuel was squirting out the lines at teh injectors. I then tighten the nuts on the injector lines. Pushed the start button and after a couple of turns it roared to life. Fuel shut off works fine. I was just a little concerned about not having the two screws as tight as it was when I took it off. Any ideas?

And somewhere in this process, I managed to crack the 1/4" fuel return line from the injectors. Where can I get that clear plastic line? Is it the same one that we use on the ice maker in the refrigerator???

Thanks gimpyrobb,

John

gimpyrobb

John, that water line has been used with success, but will crack again in the long run. I think others here have said they use the D.O.T. rated plastic air lines. How tight did you put those screws in to make that lever not move?! Just good and snug is good enough. :)

wildbill81

Hey guys, I'm in the same boat but apparently a different creek...All the same symptoms as above, removed the HH only to find everything attached as I think it should be. no extra parts left in the housing. Does this mean the HH is toast? if so what does one cost? Where can I find one? I just bought the old M109 this weekend and was hoping to get it mobile soon. Thanks

wildbill81

Got mine running this afternoon...found the shut-down mechanism was stuck upon re-assembly. Worked on it for 2 days but now have a better understanding of how this beast works. Thanks to all who posted HH threads, especially those with pictures!!! Now on to phase 2, oil and filter changes

Adrian A

I am having a similar problem. I have everything apart on my injection pump, but it only moves up about an 1/8". It rotates freely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks