• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 oils

welldigger

Have you seen any noticeable increase in leaking using the synthetic?
He shouldn't. Not saying he won't but it's a myth synthetics cause leaks versus modern conventionals.

My concern is buying 7 gallons of Rotella t6. Man that ain't cheap. But if it helps him sleep better by all means.

daytonatrbo

He shouldn't. Not saying he won't but it's a myth synthetics cause leaks versus modern conventionals.

My concern is buying 7 gallons of Rotella t6. Man that ain't cheap. But if it helps him sleep better by all means.
I wouldn't say its a myth, but its been fixed. When synthetics were first introduced they found that they didn't keep rubber seals swelled up the way conventional oil did. The seals would appear to "dry out" and could introduce leaks.

They corrected that with some additives.

rustystud

Have you seen any noticeable increase in leaking using the synthetic?
Actually a little bit. My rear crankseal has started to drip a little. Welldigger it is not a myth but just like "daytonatrbo" said they fixed it with additives. IN "My Day" it was common knowledge that synthetics would cause older engines to leak like sieves. Since you where not born then you wouldn't know that though. Today with all the additives added there is no longer much of a problem, though like my older engine it can still happen.

Katahdin

I've put two bottles of STP w/ZDDP in my two multifuel crankcases. One has Rotella Dino 15W/40, the other has Delo. I will report back any lab test findings, but that probably won't occur until next year.

I've used Supertech synthetic in my Jeep TJ 4.0 and small engines (Briggs, Honda, HF) for almost 10 years now, never had a problem. I also replaced an axle in one of the hydrostats on my lawn mower and replaced the fluids with Supertech 20W-50 in that. Aside from the 20W-50, I've never tried any supertech conventional oils. Oh yeah, I have a 93 GMC Yukon with 310K miles on the odometer, I've used Supertech Synthetic in that too. The truck body is too rusted out to be street legal, but she did haul back a M105A2 from Fort Drum (800 miles round trip) near the end of its street-legal life. :)

brianp454

I'd like to compare your Delo 15W-40 w/ZDDP to my Delo 15W-40 without/ZDDP! My results are in a port some time back. I'll likely change my oil next Summer also for another data point.

I've put two bottles of STP w/ZDDP in my two multifuel crankcases. One has Rotella Dino 15W/40, the other has Delo. I will report back any lab test findings, but that probably won't occur until next year.

I've used Supertech synthetic in my Jeep TJ 4.0 and small engines (Briggs, Honda, HF) for almost 10 years now, never had a problem. I also replaced an axle in one of the hydrostats on my lawn mower and replaced the fluids with Supertech 20W-50 in that. Aside from the 20W-50, I've never tried any supertech conventional oils. Oh yeah, I have a 93 GMC Yukon with 310K miles on the odometer, I've used Supertech Synthetic in that too. The truck body is too rusted out to be street legal, but she did haul back a M105A2 from Fort Drum (800 miles round trip) near the end of its street-legal life. :)

icecreamman

I've not done this yet but Ive been told this will work.

Our local "Evil Empire" Walmart will do oil changes on a deuce.

You purchase the "Deluxe Oil Change" package. They do not stock the oil filters so carry your own. I'd probably recommend doing the cartridges yourself if they will let you in the bay but if they insist on doing it and screw up, it's their baby.

The "Deluxe Oil Change " includes Rotella and full chassis lube. Take the TO (TM for you Army Guys) that has a diagram of where all 123? grease zerks are. They charge like $2.75 a quart for deluxe oil which includes Rotella. Supposed to check all differentials, transmission and axles.

I'd recommend crawling under the truck in the parking lot with said TO for inspection before leaving.

I love to try to stick it to The Evil Empire when I can.

rustystud

I'm not trying to promote this company at all. I just want to make that clear. I'm going to this place for all my fluids and grease because I am slowly growing my military truck collection. It's cheaper for me to buy in bulk and just keep it in storage for unexpected times.
https://www.mil-specproducts.com/Default.aspx
I always try to buy in bulk whenever I can or at least whenever I can afford to. :)

rustystud

I've not done this yet but Ive been told this will work.

Our local "Evil Empire" Walmart will do oil changes on a deuce.

You purchase the "Deluxe Oil Change" package. They do not stock the oil filters so carry your own. I'd probably recommend doing the cartridges yourself if they will let you in the bay but if they insist on doing it and screw up, it's their baby.

The "Deluxe Oil Change " includes Rotella and full chassis lube. Take the TO (TM for you Army Guys) that has a diagram of where all 123? grease zerks are. They charge like $2.75 a quart for deluxe oil which includes Rotella. Supposed to check all differentials, transmission and axles.

I'd recommend crawling under the truck in the parking lot with said TO for inspection before leaving.

I love to try to stick it to The Evil Empire when I can.
You will probably only get away with this once, so make it good !

icecreamman

I drive an old 7.3 Powerstroke and most oil change places want $110-120 for a Rotella oil change. I do the exact thing with it and from memory the oil change costs about $70. We might be in a little different situation here due to the various military testing companies located here.

I was actually told about this by a Walmart lube tech. They were doing an oil change on my Powerstroke and I joked and showed a pic of my deuce. The guy said "We have one in our system in Cullman." He named off a defence contractor that owned one. "Yeah, I took care of theirs,,,,dang that thing has lots of grease fittings!"

Soooo, It does work here!

icecreamman

LOF? Lube, Oil and Filter?

I drive by two "Evil Empire Compounds" to go to this one.Small town. It's auto shop is manned by non-teenagers. This one in particular is run by a former indy shop owner in his late fifties needing to pay into Social Security.

Anyway, I trust but also watch.

icecreamman

BTW, if anyone is thinking about doing contract work for that company, please PM me and ask me why I call them that. I have experience working for a multi-national company in the stores and as an independent contractor in a small market.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks