• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 or A3 or 5 Ton?

patshea

So ill make this as brief as possible. I have always dreamed of buying a Deuce or a 5-ton. There is a few owners in my area of them and I see them all the time and I just cant wait! I finally have the money to do it and am just trying to make a decision. This is going to be a little unorthodox of a plan.

Now a second part comes into play. Some college alumni friends and myself are building a tailgate vehicle for football next season. So I decided why not combine the 2 kill 2 birds one stone, and have something no one has. Cause most people use school buses and what not for tailgate vehicles. Anyways, this vehicle will only be used to drive a few miles to the tailgate, and some off road fun here and there. But definitely wont be driven a TON.

The only modifications being made to the vehicle is adding a retractable awning on the side, some TV mounts on the side, some mounts for flags, a 8X12 pop up tent for the cargo area, and 2 bolted kegerator fridges in the cargo bed behind the cab, 4 outdoor speakers mounted at the corners of the cargo bed, and Aside from that a digital camouflage vinyl wrap.

My decision is what should I go for? I am definitely new and just doing research now. And I will be using the search feature a ton, but any other help would be great. Whether this tailgate vehicle was happening or not I would be purchasing so this applies regardless I just wanted to give the full scenario.

Last edited:

patshea

I guess my question simply is, what will be easier to maintain and use, etc. I know the A2 isn't a vehicle I can just start up and drive away. I know there is a lot of pre-drive checks I need to do and post-drive I need to do just not sure on the full extent of each. Which I have no problem doing.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
809 series 5 ton is my truck of choise. Yes the 939 series is a great truck and I have both but there is something to be said about the 809.

dmetalmiki

Best Choice?

Well the wisest choice may be the (not so much) smaller vehicle if you have not owned one of these (type of) trucks before. Certainly easier to drive maintain and generally look after. The deuce will certainly do all the things you are looking to do, with the added benefit of better M.P.G. Easier parking (space). and fuels available to run on without too much smoke emmision. Perhaps easier to insure another factor. And as you gain experience you can upgrade to a larger vehicle if you then desire one. Iether way good luck with your project have fun..be safe.

Rmtaunton

If you have never driven big trucks or not familiar with them I would suggest an A3 , power steering and auto , I prefer a manual but probably have a bit more experience if your new to big trucks and a manual I'd say an A3 and you don't need a cdl and it has duel circuit brakes , just depends on your wrenching and driving skills

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But rember it's not power steering it's air assist. Big differance. With the 5 ton power steering and 53's go on with no problem.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are a lot of threads about M35A2 versus M35A3. A search for "M35A2 versus M35A3" is one good start. If you can't find them, let us know and I'll dig some of them up.

The basic gist is:

M35A2- really simple and parts are really cheap. Blow up an M35A2 transmission? Buy a takeout for a few hundred bucks. Same for the engine. Downsides are that they're really basic-some people (like me) like this. Some want a more modern and plush driving experience. They're hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Noisy.

M35A3-A little more complex. No computers or anything, but just a more modern vehicle. Dual circuit brakes, electric wipers. Muffler and sound deadener. Radial tires. CTIS. Air assist steering. Allison automatic. Still a small enough vehicle.

5 tons. So there's the early M39 gas/multifuel models. 5 speed stick, basically a bigger deuce. Power steering.

M809 5 tons. Still a stickshift, basic, loud, hot, etc. But with the bigger (and arguably better) NHC250 engine.

M939 5 tons. A more modern truck. Still no computers. M939 and M939A1 are still the NHC250, M939A2 is a newer Cummins turbodiesel. A2 has CTIS. All have power steering,Allison automatics, a wider cab than the traditional M-series 6x6 cab, sound deadener, mufflers, etc. M939 has dualled 11:00x20's, M939A1 and A2 have super single radials.

A lot of people like the 939's a lot and they have a lot of nice features. Bigger cab, nice power steering, a lot of people like super singles, a lot of the 939's are newer than the M44/M39/M809 series so there are less of the issues you get with age like corrosion, bad wiring etc.

I personally like deuces. Recovry4x4 has a funny line about keeping a 5 ton drum and hub in his yard and every time he thinks he wants a 5 ton, he goes and tries to move it. The deuce is manageable. 1500 lb. engine, transmission is light enough for 2 people to pick up, transfer is 500 lbs, etc.

A 5 ton is a whole 'nother scope of big. The difficulty of getting a brake drum/hub assy. off the axle and into the parts washer is exponentially higher than a deuce and that's assuming it'll fit in your parts washer.

As long as you know what you're in for, I don't think any of them are bad choices. I think you need to drive one of everything before you buy.

If you wanna' drive mine, it runs (and stops) the way they're supposed to. You're welcome to come visit. I'll show you everything you need to know before buying.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess my question simply is, what will be easier to maintain and use, etc. I know the A2 isn't a vehicle I can just start up and drive away. I know there is a lot of pre-drive checks I need to do and post-drive I need to do just not sure on the full extent of each. Which I have no problem doing.
There are pre-drive checks you have to do on ALL of them. There is a manual just for operation on each truck.

I like the looks of the Deuce and the M809 series 5-tons. While bigger you get the one luxury I like on them, power steering. I've driven an M35A3 in my yard and if the tires are not aired up it sucks to drive. MY 813, no problem.

Rmtaunton

Only reason I say A3 is I know so many under 30 that have never seen a manual, or a wrench , if that's you , well really Clinto and SW both and me , it's all up to you , good luck and I hope you get one , I drove mine today and to cabelas on sat , it's a smile the whole time

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M923 it's a great truck I drive mine every time I am home.
Healthy for me too.
Have no problem driving in wall mart parking lot just park away from store and walk

Jeepsinker

I have an M35a2, and I have an M936a2. I drive my deuce every day, the 5 ton hardly ever leaves the yard. The deuces are more reliable if you maintain them properly.

Doug Roberts

MV tailgater

My advice ... best want , desire , need a MV ( for what it is ) , above and beyond a tailgate vehicle. I do feel it makes a great tailgate vehicle , but MVs are not domestic trucks. Pre drive checks describe every MV there is . I will be using mine for tailgating , but it will not be rigged up dedicated to that one use. And then you ask , 'which one?' , well any one of em will tailgate . You need to choose the one you will master.

patshea

I appreciate all the help guys! I think I have decided on a A3.

Clinto next time i am up there I would love to meet up and drive one and learn everything I can

I do not have a ton of tools but I have worked on my diesel every since I have owned it. I have a F350 crew cab long bed lifted 1 foot on 40" tires. Now i know this is not the size of a deuce but still bigger than most people have driven in general. I have driven big trucks my whole life. So i am ready to step up to the next challenge. And I definitely learned on a manual. So i am not one of those unfortunate souls haha.

EWhytsell

Your gonna have one **** of a tailgate machine and everyone's gonna see it coming.

As for the auto vs manual, I'll tell ya that my wife cannot make a manual car/truck move much at all, but can drive and shift my deuce. They are clunky and hard to shift compared to a modern vehicle, but I guess its due to that slower process that she can do it. Since you already have a big truck, your already 80% of the way to driving a deuce because you know about the safety concerns of watching out for the little guys zipping around you. The other part is just parking it and planning turns in tight spaces. That will be your biggest difference;-)

jw4x4

There are pre-drive checks you have to do on ALL of them. There is a manual just for operation on each truck.

I like the looks of the Deuce and the M809 series 5-tons. While bigger you get the one luxury I like on them, power steering. I've driven an M35A3 in my yard and if the tires are not aired up it sucks to drive. MY 813, no problem.
What about that M932A1 you drove?

61sleepercab

What about a M109 shop body truck? 7x 12 foot lockable box plenty of room for stuff/ porta potty ,sides to mount awning? I am trading for one and the possibilities are endless. I have both a Deuce and 5 ton and they are about the same length but you sit higher in a 5 ton and it takes some time to get use to the higher driver position. Power Steering is nice in the 5 ton but if you are not driving that much you can man handle a Deuce. Have fun, try out some trucks in a test drive ! Mark

patshea

If I could find a M109 for the right price I Would definitely consider it. Originally we were going to use a ambulance and build out the inside as a mancave. So this could work as well. It just depends what is available I suppose.

Both are viable options.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks