• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 Overdrive Kits

Hummer Guy

Are these kits even still available? I know waterloo use to make them, but it seems like they don't anymore. They use too do power steering as well, it seems like these kits are impossible to get now. Does anyone know of any other good source for deuce parts and kits?

Hummer Guy

Nope, he stopped making the kits. It was a break even or loss on the kits at best from what I recall.
Yep, seems like it, I emailed him, and he said it takes 5,000 to make them and he's not interested in doing so. The last thing he's selling for the m35a2 is the power steering kits in March then he's done with them.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, seems like it, I emailed him, and he said it takes 5,000 to make them and he's not interested in doing so. The last thing he's selling for the m35a2 is the power steering kits in March then he's done with them.
Do you have his email address. Would like to get a copy of drawings and any other information on OD unit.

Hummer Guy

DaneGer21

He said all his overdrive kits are currently being used for other trucks, he also said that they can't get the overdrive kits either and the amount it'll take the build is not worth it
I believe that, I’ve gotten some parts from Charles. Stand up guy. It’s unfortunate these custom parts are disappearing.

HDN

I believe that, I’ve gotten some parts from Charles. Stand up guy. It’s unfortunate these custom parts are disappearing.
It's a good thing metal 3D printing has come a long ways. That'll probably be the future of many restoration and upgrade projects like ours. Awhile back I got in touch with a guy who runs a 3D printing shop that prints metal replicas of body and mechanical parts for antique car restoration. Perhaps talk to him here: https://hv3dworks.com/

Hummer Guy

It's a good thing metal 3D printing has come a long ways. That'll probably be the future of many restoration and upgrade projects like ours. Awhile back I got in touch with a guy who runs a 3D printing shop that prints metal replicas of body and mechanical parts for antique car restoration. Perhaps talk to him here: https://hv3dworks.com/
That's true but the only problem is that none of us actually have the kit or any kind of dimensions, but if I find out some information on it, I'll definitely see what somebody with a 3d printing can do

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That"s what China does with everything.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a good thing metal 3D printing has come a long ways. .......
Yes, but keep in mind that we are talking about gears and parts which are subjected to extreme high torque and wear conditions, where only the best CrNiMo steel alloys will hold. I doubt that 3D printing will allow similar results, anytime soon.

As some of our not-so-new members here may recall, I made the first couple of prototype gear sets and small parts for that kit and used AISI 4340 for it. Later, the actual production was all done in the US (with AISI 8620).
.... the only problem is that none of us actually have the kit or any kind of dimensions.....
That depends. Who is "us"... ?
(I have all the dims and details necessary but (obviously) would not share that info without Waterloo's (our member m35-tom) permission.)

Jeepsinker

Has anybody contacted m35-tom about buying the rights produce to his kit ?
You might get better results than expecting him to give it away .
We've spoken about it but haven't made any kind of agreement. I've no idea what the next couple years have in store for me, so I'm unable to make a concrete commitment.
But your supposition is correct. He is open to selling to rights, designs, tooling, etc. He's obviously not going to give it away.

rustystud

We've spoken about it but haven't made any kind of agreement. I've no idea what the next couple years have in store for me, so I'm unable to make a concrete commitment.
But your supposition is correct. He is open to selling to rights, designs, tooling, etc. He's obviously not going to give it away.
I bought one of the last kits from him. I needed two more so I contacted my machinist friend and tried to get some made. The main problem was the main shaft. Gears are easy to make, but the shaft is not. So I bought several new shafts and we tried to modify them. The main problem was reheat-treating them without distorting the shafts. There was a company in Oregon that said they could do it, but we never got the chance since my friends shop building got sold. He was already 68 and decided to retire. That was last year. He did get my modified NP205 transfer case parts made before closing up shop !
I've been working on replacing the Spicer 5 speed with the Allison 1000 automatic using a heavily modified NP205 transfer-case behind it. Should work pretty good.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I bought one of the last kits from him. I needed two more so I contacted my machinist friend and tried to get some made. The main problem was the main shaft. Gears are easy to make, but the shaft is not. So I bought several new shafts and we tried to modify them. The main problem was reheat-treating them without distorting the shafts. There was a company in Oregon that said they could do it, but we never got the chance since my friends shop building got sold. He was already 68 and decided to retire. That was last year. He did get my modified NP205 transfer case parts made before closing up shop !
I've been working on replacing the Spicer 5 speed with the Allison 1000 automatic using a heavily modified NP205 transfer-case behind it. Should work pretty good.
Welcome back again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks