• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 Overdrive Kits

HDN

So basically I got a "shell" . Now I've been installing the studs in the walls for wiring and insulation myself, plus that front concrete entrance the county demanded. Since I had my right knee replaced 7 months ago progress has been slow !
From the pictures the studs don't look rusty enough :p

That looks like a great project! Maybe my next place will have a proper shop🤞

rustystud

No problem.
The cost of an overdrive kit now would be around $5000.00 . My machinist friend said he could have gotten it down to maybe $3,000.00 a unit, but he would need to make at least 50 units. Then his building got sold so no more machinist to help. That is why I've been concentrating on a "Allison" retrofit.

Jeepsinker

I bought one of the last kits from him. I needed two more so I contacted my machinist friend and tried to get some made. The main problem was the main shaft. Gears are easy to make, but the shaft is not. So I bought several new shafts and we tried to modify them. The main problem was reheat-treating them without distorting the shafts. There was a company in Oregon that said they could do it, but we never got the chance since my friends shop building got sold. He was already 68 and decided to retire. That was last year. He did get my modified NP205 transfer case parts made before closing up shop !
I've been working on replacing the Spicer 5 speed with the Allison 1000 automatic using a heavily modified NP205 transfer-case behind it. Should work pretty good.
Rusty, I had considered a 205 for mine but was concerned it may not hold up in a truck as heavy as mine. It certainly would improve ground clearance a lot.

rustystud

Rusty, I had considered a 205 for mine but was concerned it may not hold up in a truck as heavy as mine. It certainly would improve ground clearance a lot.
I too at first disregarded the ability of the NP205 to handle the torque and power needed for the Deuce. But after researching it I found out it could be done.
There is a company in Canada which makes "super duty" gears and shafts for the NP205 enabling it to handle power ratings of 2,000 HP. The only other problems is the case itself. Actually the "aluminum" bearing supports. I fixed that by having steel housings made.
I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks