• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 paint job

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did a good job! Can you elaborate on the composite decking material that you used to re-do the troop seats and head rack? Brand, dimensions, price?

ranchand

I wouldn't use comp decking if you plan on using them. When its ripped and planed to those dimensions it is very brittle. Someones sitting back there, you hit a bump, SNAP!!!
Use white oak, mahogony or purpleheart, it wont break8)

Varyag

I was very tempted to use the decking for my deuce. I was afraid of the warping factor to it. keep us posted how it holds up. My truck is about 90% complete with its paint job. I just took a wagner paint eater grinder to the original wood to strip it.

harry

did snap bolts etc ,when put back to gether cut bolts flush to nuts helps wear on cargo cover
used composit decking think was Rino (what the local lumber company sells ), split down center (ended up with little bigger gaps between boards) , used router to round edges.
then old boards for drilling template ,then conter sunk , the head board needed to have edged made smaller to fit into sides,
all table saw cutting
stuf soaks up paint need to spray few times not as strong as the old oak but no slivers and think paint not going to peal

harry

dont plane decking just conter sink holes a bit ( wood working tools should work )
was also worried about warping and saging , did decking summer before last no problems
and truck sits out side havent hade cargo cover on ,
Its not as strong as hard wood , for me it works

Attachments

harry

type 1 mosture cure no hardener use the two part primer, made to work together.
seems like stickey hard paint my shoes picked up some on grage floor ( painted some parts inside) took over week to wear off bottom of tennis
shoes (shoes picked up over spray on floor)

harry

if your going to repaint the wood try this paint for a base coat you dont need primer and is some tougf paint you will need to pain over it when it drys for couple weeks its about 20 buck qt I used on other truck after sanding of old paint .
(Benjamin More Iron Clad Alkyd low luster Metal & wood ) the green looks like crap so you will need to pain over it

RAYZER

carc 1

type 1 mosture cure no hardener use the two part primer, made to work together.
seems like stickey hard paint my shoes picked up some on grage floor ( painted some parts inside) took over week to wear off bottom of tennis
shoes (shoes picked up over spray on floor)

this is the same paint that im going to use on mine, did you use a standard paint gun? can you go over the original carc without using primer if you sand it? was this type 1 carc easy to work with? please post some more about this paint job experience!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks