• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Passenger Bench seat left end mounting method??

saddamsnightmare

:twisted: aua :

January 10, 2008.

Gentlemen: Another Deuce question for those of you who have the M35A2 with the folding bottom passenger bench seat, as mine was delivered without same. The last owner kept the bench seat (Why? - I don't know!), but cab views of the truck when he had it showed a passenger side bench seat.
SO, I ordered one from Boyce Equipment and same arrived with a really good set of cushions and the loveliest Fire Truck Yellow frame with two angle iron legs and feet on right hand end, and a horizontal plate with like eight screw holes in it under the cushion.
My supposition is that, if it is an M35A2 seat frame (and not an M135/211 GMC seat), then the deuces originally had a metal box under the driver's seat and this item's left side was through bolted to it. My particular truck got a spring seat in the MWO 1989-1990 rebuild, so it looks like I'll have to fabricate afoot to use the seat mounting holes in the floorpan to the right of the transmision tunnel.
Any photos or drawings out there of whatever modified support was applied when the original driver's seat was replaced? If I don't get the seat in soon the wife's going to take may take my truck away as she always rides the co-driver's seat and is in training to drive the truck on the road. I've seen photos on EBAy currently of a worn spring seat applied to the passenger side of an M35A-, but I belive that the hinged seat bottom allowed the co-driver to searve as a gunner when the M66 Ring and mounts were applied.

Also any information on installation of the cab roof bows, headers and posts, when I remove the hard top cab roof, and do the current GMA cab paulins use the Murphy Fasteners on the headers??

Dear Mr. Doyle: keep me in mind when you do the big bible on the G742 trucks, as I want one autographed if posible. Likely I'll buy the G742 light edition due to come out soon, based on your Magnum Opus of the standard Military Vehicle Catalog, which Ibought just before Christmas and have read through two or three times- WOW!

I rest assured the the incomparable knowledge base that the Steel Soldiers Memebers carry around in your noggins will onceagain get me out of the above bind.

Thanks again, with great respect and appreciation for the many kindnesses and assists,

I remain, Sirs,
Most Sincerely,
Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz S404.114 Unimog (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" vietnam and Desert Storm
Veteran Troop Carrier.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Kyle,
Thanks for your kind words about my books.

With regard to your seats, first, you are correct about your supposition that the passenger seat back folds down to become a platform for the gunner when the ring mount is installed. That is why the seat back has safety tread.

There are two mounting methods open for you. One is to use the left legs from a M809 series truck - this requires new holes in the floor.

The other method involves sawing off the right hand side of the driver's box seat, then using it to support the left side of the bench (like it did when the entire box seat was in place).

I've got trucks of both types.

Hope this helps,
David

saddamsnightmare

January 11th, 2008.

Dear Mr. Doyle and Mr. Gringletaube:

Thank you both for the insights into the seat mountings on the M35A2, turns out Boyce sent me a M35A1 passenger seat, no difference from what I can tell, and I am pleased my deductions were correct as to attachment points. will give some thought to fabricating a new support from angle iron and plate, being a Blacksmith has its points on these older trucks, but at present I'll have to borrow use of a forge here in Paris as mine isn't reassembled yet.
When the seat was used as the gunner's support, was the bottom cushion left in place, or was it removed? I haven't checked mine out completely, as it's been riding in the backof the truck, but the bottom cushions does seem to be removeable. If the original driver's seat cushions were as thinly padded, it must have been a rough ride off road. I notice GMA lists the cab top as for a two man cab, so I must deduce that many more of these got spring ride seats on the right side also, which would then delete use of the M49/M66 Ring Mounts.
One last oddity on this truck, and that is the contract plate currently has no built by data, but according to Mr. Doyle's article in MV magazine on the deuces, she is a Jeep by contract and serial number, so again, I must deduce that the plate was replced with a new one in the MWO rebuild 1988/9/90, as that is very likely when she got the Spring Ride Driver's (and possibly Passenger) seat. The former owner, a duty GI from Fort Carson, Co., sent photos taken in October last showing the bench seat, but there are holes in the right side of the cab floor that would line up with another driver's seat base. The Enigma of the Duece, answer one riddle and you find ten more. Thanks again,

I remain, Sirs,

Most Deeply Indebted for the kindnesses,

and I remain, Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz S404.114 Unimog
1971 KAiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Deuce

Armada

RE: Seat Frame

Not to hijack, but man BC, love the interior shots showing the vic-1 and rt-524 installed!!! Nice job! Congrats!

lawdog1623

Kyle, i had the same problem. A place close to both you and i happens to have that bracket "new old stock" for very cheap. Pm me

oldchief

seats for m37 3/4 ton

I am in need of cab seats for my m37 weapons carrier. I have the drivers seat bottom spring cushion(in fair shape
) and have located a rather pricy top but its NOS so I can live with that. What I need to locate is the passengers back and cushion which I rember as beeing little than nothing. Any one know where I might find eather one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks