• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Pioneer Tool Handles length

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They need to be between 35.5 and 36 inches long. I have seen the new shovels with the correct NSN, but they are 37.5 inches long, and are longer than the rack (IE, they don't fit). shape of the handle has changed from a true "D" to a tulip shape, which is where the extra length was introduced.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful buying a shovel from a surplus source. I bought 3 and found out they fit a HUMMV and not the normal Pioneer Rack for most MVs. Also, check ACE Hardware or any other older hardware store for wooden handle tools. I got the maddox and axe like that.

Lex_Ordo

Unfortunately, the shovels are no longer made here in the US, and that poses a real logistics issue because they are too long for the racks.

Union Tool, made the correct length shovel and I was fortunate to get two before I found out they closed the plant in PA, that was making them.

Check out this thread. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/44465-m35-pioneer-rack.html
I tried to give my personal account for finding the tools, and added some links to US manufacturers who still make the equipment.

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

PLEASE!! Mattock, not maddox or mattox or anything else!
Mattock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't spell so pretty good all of the time either, but I'm 53 & feel that it is extreemly rude for some english teacher to correct me (ESPECIALLY ON A WORLD WIDE PUBLIC FOURUM). PLEASE don't do that. This is an informal, information gathering fourum where like minded individuals can ask for help, help others & exchange ideas. Theres no extra credit for correct grammer. :roll: John

Last edited:

wiggall

Unfortunately, the shovels are no longer made here in the US, and that poses a real logistics issue because they are too long for the racks.

Union Tool, made the correct length shovel and I was fortunate to get two before I found out they closed the plant in PA, that was making them.

Check out this thread. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/44465-m35-pioneer-rack.html
I tried to give my personal account for finding the tools, and added some links to US manufacturers who still make the equipment.
Thanks I picked up a mattock head the other day need a handle, have a bunch of shovet heads laying around need handle, now to get the ax, and one tie down, and sorry about my spelling!

Motorcar

They need to be between 35.5 and 36 inches long. I have seen the new shovels with the correct NSN, but they are 37.5 inches long, and are longer than the rack (IE, they don't fit).

I have two shovels 37.5 inches long and they fit my rack fine...maybe my rack is bigger than your rack......rofl

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Guess they would look like this in a rack.

I'm looking at mounting this on the deuce when I get around to it. I will have to come up with the latch process.

Attachments

oddshot

I don't spell so pretty good all of the time either, but I'm 53 & feel that it is extremely rude for some English teacher (wanna-be. odd-edit) to correct me (ESPECIALLY ON A WORLD WIDE PUBLIC FORUM). PLEASE don't do that. This is an informal, information gathering forum where like minded individuals can ask for help, help others & exchange ideas.

There's no extra credit for correct grammar. :roll: John
OR spelling!

Thanks for speaking up John.

And Wiggal ... you ain't got nothing to be apologizin' for.

The "Mary Kay Ladies" from the UPTIGHT Baptist Church strike again.

oddshot

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't spell so pretty good all of the time either, but I'm 53 & feel that it is extreemly rude for some english teacher to correct me (ESPECIALLY ON A WORLD WIDE PUBLIC FOURUM). PLEASE don't do that. This is an informal, information gathering fourum where like minded individuals can ask for help, help others & exchange ideas. Theres no extra credit for correct grammer. :roll: John

Well, 319 beat me to it. For what it's worth, I really was an English teacher, so I know something whereof I speak.

The incorrectly spelled orange words should be "extremely," "English," "world-wide." "forum," "There's," and "grammar" respectively.

The blue "where" would be more correctly stated as "upon which."

I'm sorry that you feel it to be "extremely rude" of someone to correct your shortcomings in a public forum. At the age of 53 years, you have had ample time in which to improve your verbal skills. That you have not done so is indicative of an inappropriate tolerance of mediocrity and laziness. There are some of us who take the time and effort to consult a dictionary or thesaurus from time to time and who feel that it is "extreemely rude" of others who prefer to inflict their obscenely pathetic use of our native language upon us.

Now, having said all that, I shall return to the point. All military pioneer tools must meet the same military specifications (MILSPEC), and (with minor variation) will be the same size from one vehicle to the next.

oddshot

Well, 319 beat me to it. For what it's worth, I really was an English teacher, so I know something whereof I speak.

The incorrectly spelled orange words should be "extremely," "English," "world-wide." "forum," "There's," and "grammar" respectively.

I'm sorry that you feel it to be "extremely rude" of someone to correct your shortcomings in a public forum. At the age of 53 years, you have had ample time in which to improve your verbal skills. That you have not done so is indicative of an inappropriate tolerance of mediocrity and laziness. There are some of us who take the time and effort to consult a dictionary or thesaurus from time to time and who feel that it is "extremely rude" of others who prefer to inflict their obscenely pathetic use of our native language upon us.
You know ... mine does too!

Especially when its humid.

Have you thought of using corn starch? I've heard that its helpful in clearing up that nasty rash.

oddshot

Yep ... them Mary Kay Ladies. :shock:

They can be real tough on folks. Its a LOT worse when they go into menses.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I'm sorry that you feel it to be "extremely rude" of someone to correct your shortcomings in a public forum. At the age of 53 years, you have had ample time in which to improve your verbal skills. That you have not done so is indicative of an inappropriate tolerance of mediocrity and laziness. There are some of us who take the time and effort to consult a dictionary or thesaurus from time to time and who feel that it is "extreemely rude" of others who prefer to inflict their obscenely pathetic use of our native language
THANK YOU...... much appreciated. :roll: argueing over the internet is kinda like wrestling with a pig..petty soon you're out of breath, covered in mud & find out the pig really enjoys it. You'll have to get you're entertainment elseware. John

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for posting that picture.

Could you tell me what that rack and its hinges are from?

oddshot
Would normally mount on a M998 but could be modified to fit just about anything with a little immagination and fiddling. PM me if interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks