• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Radio

anjay22

I am doing some research on what type of communication radio I can put in my deuce. I am looking at a VIC 1. Are there any others to look at?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GI VRC series would only give you 6 meters (51 Mhz range) in the civilian licensed frequencies. Better to have CB and 2 meter for actual use.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on what you want to do. Are you trying to maintain the authentic military configuration inside and out? Does the radio equipment need to work or will non-functioning equipment meet your needs? If you can answer some questions like this, there are plenty of people here that can steer you in the right direction.

Speaking for myself, as a Ham, I wanted to put some 2 Meter and 450 MHz radios in my Deuce that I can use on the Ham bands while maintaining a Military appearance externally. I chose a Military surplus SF3512/VRC antenna (30-512 MHz) and installed it exactly as the SINGCARS Installation Manual showed it to be done. Externally, it appears to be 100% Military. In the cab, however, I installed a pair of Motorola ASTRO Spectra W3 radios. The radios are powered by a 24 to 12 Volt converter (as recommended by many on this site). The radios are small enough to fit under or next to the driver's seat and the handheld control heads minimize cab clutter and are easily removed.

Good luck with your commo project.

coop

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as Green Radios the AN/GRC-160 is the set up I use along with the VIC-1 in my deuce and 5 ton. It's nice to have the option of using the PRC 77 as a man pack if needed. A 2 meter radio would be easy to add in addition.

Coop W9FLH

AN/PRC-25 and AN/PRC-77 in Other Configurations
There were three basic configurations of the PRC-25: starndard manpack, vehicular (called AN/VRC-53 in that configuration), and dual manpack or vehicular (AN/GRC-125 configuration). The PRC-77 also had these combinations available, but with different nomenclature as explained in the following.

AM-2060 Power Supply and Mounting Tray. Click image for view of complete AN/VRC-53 system.

AN/VRC-53 Radio System refers to RT-841/PRC-25 when installed in the AM-2060 Audio Amplifier/Power Supply and connected to the AS-1729/VRC Vehicular Whip Antenna. The MT-1029 Vehicle Mount is used to install the AM-2060 in a vehicle. The MT-1029 also supports use of the VIC-1 Vehicle Inter-Communication system.
AN/VRC-125 dual purpose system (vehicular or manpack) includes the vehicle set up as above, plus the ST-138 web suspenders back pack, battery set and the CW-503 accessories bag.
The AN/PRC-77 is the basic receiver-transmitter equipment used in the vehicular sets AN/VRC-64, AN/VRC-65 and AN/GRC-160.
The AN/VRC-64 is the vehicular version of the RT-841/PRC-77 portable Radio Set, consisting of: Receiver-Transmitter mounted on the Amplifier-Power Supply Group OA-3633/GRC. It also includes the AS-1729/VRC Vehicular Whip Antenna.
The AN/GRC-160 consists of an AN/PRC-77 Radio Set, including all the vehicular components covered above and as noted in the AN/VRC-64 as well as all standard Manpack accessory items. The AN/PRC-77 can be removed from the vehicle and used as a battery-operated Manpack Unit and later returned and mounted back onto the OA-3633/GRC resuming vehicular operation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks