• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Recovery

jrule

Me and my brother drove 375 miles on Thursday to recover a Deuce. The owner said the brakes did not work and that it needed a airpak so i brought one and wheel cylinders and a power bleeder. The truck did not need either, all i had to do is bleed the brakes and they worked great. So I was glad that the brakes where a easy fix. So i started checking over the truck and checking the fluids in every thing and it was looking good. I got to the tranny and it was a little low and pretty black so topped if off and then changed the motor oil. Also pulled the inspection plate on the tranny and greased the throwout bearing because it was a little noisy. Had one low tire that would not take any air so me and my brother jumped in to head to the tire shop and take it for the first drive. So we got going and when we hit 5th gear it sounded like someone way banging on the floor with a hammer and was vibrating BAD. So needless to say the truck was not going to make the trip home 375 miles in 4th gear at 40 miles per hour . I had not payed for the truck yet or signed any paper work and was mad that the owner had not said anything about this problem that he had to of know about!! So we drove back and talked to the brother of the owner because the owner had left . We told him what the truck was doing and he says " Oh he didn't tell you about that". I later talk to the owner on the phone and told him that 5th gear is out and that the truck is not going to make it home and that i might not buy it. The owner then try's to tell me that the noise is because the tires on the back are not all the same height and the sprag is doing that . So he asks are you just going to leave and go home . I told him not much else i can do today so he tells me to make him a lower offer on the truck . So i told him I would have to do some research on the transmission on how much it will cost to repair or replace and find someone to ship it and find a cost for that to.

The truck is rust free and has a tarp and bows , newer paint, hummer seats has com gear installed but no radio a m66 gun turret , tires are ok a couple back tires have a little dry rote, newer soft top , no major leaks and runs great .
Only bad things are that 5th gear is out and it has a sprag t-case.
I'm still going to buy it just have to have it shipped. ?? It has cost me 200 in gas to drive there and back for him being dishonest too. Where is the best place to find a used transmission or parts? Trying to find what the cost is going to be so I can make him a offer.

Attachments

AceHigh

The dishonest part is a problem for sure. Take out transmissions are available pretty cheap.

You did check the drive line for loose bolts?

That is a disappointing day for sure. At least you had a good chance to check it over first, I have bought 3 knowing nothing of their condition.

BTW I love the truck! The ring alone is worth a few thousand bucks.

Heavysteven

I check the drive line probally loose bolts from the transfer to the transmission. At 2:15 in the video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-vkMESHXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Any more photo's?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. You greased the input bearing retainer that the throwout bearing slides on, not the bearing itself. The bearing is sealed and non-serviceable.

2. Truck looks nice and has nice accessories (ring/cover/etc.) but a dead tranny AND a sprag would really cause me to offer a lowball figure.

3. Trannies go from $1-400 bucks. Most I would pay for an unknown takeout is $250ish.

4. Definitely check the driveshaft bolts, they are super bad about coming loose, although the noise you describe is likely the tranny and not loose bolts.

5. Seller is a world class di.................richard head not to disclose something like that. When you bargain down the price, I'd do it face to face and tell him you drove 800 miles round trip for nothing because he couldn't even be truthful about the truck, it has a sprag and blown up tranny, no winch and therefore you're only able to offer him $11.82 for the truck. Cash money.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like said, lots of cool stuff on the truck but he did willfully try to rip you off. I've had that same issue and there is certainly a tranny issue. The sprag case doesn't worry me a bit. I'd be curious to see what the cargo cover it off of. It's certainly not the right model for that truck. Might be off a 5 ton. I'd throw it back on him. Ask him what he would do if you had tried to rip him off in similar fasion?

two.fiveM35

Before you go out and buy a transfer case, make sure it really is a sprag t-case. I thought my truck had a sprag, but it really had a air shift t-case with no plumbing installed. I assumed it had a sprag because it was missing an air shift switch. They must have swapped out transfer caeses during a rebuild and never installed the switch or anything. I've since bought a air shift update kit with switch, light and tubing, but it's still sitting in the garage.

wsucougarx

To verify if you have an air shift or not. Look for the actuator assy on the transfer case (circled it for you;-) ). If you have this, then you do have an airshift;-)

Attachments

jrule

Thanks for all the good info guys. I think clinto is right I'll offer him 11.82 if he does not take it i'll just
punch him in the lips.:) :beer:

Last edited:

jrule

The owner said it had a rebuild in 86 and it had a MWO tag inside the drivers door frame that said 90 on it . I would think that it would have been switched to a air shift
But i'm still a newb.

gunboy1656

I think that is high....or I sold several last year for way too little.

It's a nice truck and they go for more out in your neck of the woods......as stated above I'd lowball the crap out of him.
Most of the rings I am seeing for sale go about 2000 to 2500.

Another thing to check for (if you have not already) is the cab reinforcement plate behind the seats.

Truck looks nice, but I would look it over with a fine tooth comb before plopping down my money.

jrule

I'm thinking of renting a Budget rental truck to pull the m35 home with a tow bar has anyone done this before . The truck is the 24ft box truck and is diesel and is rated to haul13,000 and weights 12,500 would think that it would pull the truck easy what do you think. I'm sure the rental place would not like the idea if you told them .:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks