• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 runaway problem

DanoBonanno

Question while on the subject...
New fuel tank
New in tank pump
New injector lines
New HH
New filters
No intake heater
Fuel shut off isn't sticking
100% diesel in tank
Replaced all of this due to sludge and a bad HH...we got the unit started, idled great...then we gave it a little fuel (from the pedal?) Then the idle....just kept on going up....peaked at about 2700rpm...
Back story.... unit sat for a few years from a lack of fuel (HH) Think someone fondled the governor...there was some schlack in the HH from old fuel....
***YES I'VE LOOKED AT THE TM's***

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's not getting the excess fuel from the IP, and no flame heater, the other fuel source it could potentialy draw from is crankcase oil through leaky turbo seals (as cattlerepairman stated). You can check by pulling the little hose section from the front of the turbo and looking at the compressor wheel... is it wet? does it have excessive side-to-side or front-to-back play? Out of curiosity, how's your oil level? does the oil seem fuel-diluted at all? with the truck not running, and the master switch on, can you hear fuel getting returned back to the tank?

Last edited:

DanoBonanno

If it's not getting the excess fuel from the IP, and no flame heater, the other fuel source it could potentialy draw from is crankcase oil through leaky turbo seals. You can check by pulling the little hose section from the front of the turbo and looking at the compressor wheel... is it wet? does it have excessive side-to-side or front-to-back play? Out of curiosity, how's your oil level? does the oil seem fuel-diluted at all? with the truck not running, and the master switch on, can you hear fuel getting returned back to the tank?
Just changed the oil 2 days ago...the old oil had no hint of fuel. Ill go out and check the impeller on the turbo this afternoon and will for fuel returning and oil tomorrow.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do yourself a favour and make the temporary fix your permanent fix. Remove the complete flame heater setup and plug the connections. Unless you regularly fire her up in well below freezing you don't need it and if you do need regular cold start help, spring for a KAT 24V ether dispenser that shoots a metered dose into the intake. The flame heater is nice and nostalgic if it works properly and does not leak, but a PITA (as you found out) when it doesn't work right.
Hey, I liked my flame heater stuff, never know where I might go. It came with it and belongs in it and will maintain it.

DanoBonanno

Just changed the oil 2 days ago...the old oil had no hint of fuel. Ill go out and check the impeller on the turbo this afternoon and will for fuel returning and oil tomorrow.
**just checked the turbo....impeller is smooth and no play, took the piping off...looks normal

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question while on the subject...
New fuel tank
New in tank pump
New injector lines
New HH
New filters
No intake heater
Fuel shut off isn't sticking
100% diesel in tank
Replaced all of this due to sludge and a bad HH...we got the unit started, idled great...then we gave it a little fuel (from the pedal?) Then the idle....just kept on going up....peaked at about 2700rpm...
Back story.... unit sat for a few years from a lack of fuel (HH) Think someone fondled the governor...there was some schlack in the HH from old fuel....
***YES I'VE LOOKED AT THE TM's***
Just to be clear you took the two screws out of the timing cover, some call it the shut down cover and you made sure the fuel control unit assembly was moving free. With motor off it should look like just about the 7 o'clock position and with your finger you can push it back to to about the 4 o' clock position. Then it will snap back to the 7 o'clock when you let it go?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks