• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 shifting questions

Hummer Guy

So, two questions I got that I noticed others said. First question, if you put it into 2nd and then back to first, will this synchronize and shift into 1st without waiting or no grinding?

2nd question, I saw one guy said about starting in 2nd low then going to 2nd high and after that shift like normal. Is this bad for your transmission, like it is starting in 2nd high?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can shift 2-5 in low and do a quick shift to high and I think it was 3rd gear and continue on. I only used 1st low or high if I was in the dirt playing around.

runk

The 2nd then 1st trick helps with mine, but not always. Unload and on flat streets, 1st isn't really necessary. If you are at a stop sign, you'll have to shift to 2nd by the time you get 1/2 way into the intersection anyway. I only use low playing in the dirt, but the truck is rarely loaded and Houston is flat.

fleetmech

bumping against second before selecting first while at a standstill will stop the transmission shafts and allow you to get into first easier. This is not injurious to the trans, as long as you are only dealing with a small clash or clunk. If your facing a heavy grind every time you want to go for first from neutral, you have a dragging clutch. Also, its worth mentioning that a pause after depressing the clutch helps, as there is a lot of momentum to lose.

As for shifting, I only use first when loaded or on a steep hill or if im off road. Its pretty much a creeper gear, and that long slow 1-2 shift that is so much a characteristic of the 30 series transmissions makes it generally not worthwhile. I run 2-5 in low, then shift the transfer to high, then pull the main back to 4th and then up to 5th again. Its good practice to shift the transfer up first, as it eliminates the possibility of an unintended downshift should the t-case shift fail to complete, or if the clutch were to re engage due to foot slip or a linkage failure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks