• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 speed boost

emr

also the need to change the way the truck is and has been desined to be run with all related parts brakes and so on, to change is an "opinion, the trucks really are right on target right the way they are, everything could be better one way or another sure, but there is always a loss ,speed no power, power no speed,tires the more u go one way the more u lose the other, there is no magic bullet, and as for the price of the truck ? well the parts end up more than the truck will ever be worth, remember there is an extremly limited market after one dumps a ton in a deuce, if its money U want to spend its all fine, just remember U wont get it back,and the faster U go are U going to ba able to stop, the brakes are nothing to write home about, but are fine for the design... just saying...all the best...Randy

grounded

Banned
Yea the cost of gears is going to be way over priced for this hobby to do to the axles. but you gotta remember thats why i said its geared for the offroad guys that got more money then sense. ;-) they already got the 2" axles and everything else. i mean. they put 10k into 2 axles and dont think 2x. TOTALLY opposite of what we do with our hobby. they spend 30k-80k on one rig. we can have our own milita rofl

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I re-read my post and realize I worded it poorly, sorry. Yes, there is a fifth gear that you can get to put in the trans. Tom hasn't been on much, wonder if there was/is a problem. Anyone hear from him recently?

buccaneer

I am they as well!

Yea the cost of gears is going to be way over priced for this hobby to do to the axles. but you gotta remember thats why i said its geared for the offroad guys that got more money then sense. ;-) they already got the 2" axles and everything else. i mean. they put 10k into 2 axles and dont think 2x. TOTALLY opposite of what we do with our hobby. they spend 30k-80k on one rig. we can have our own milita rofl

Actually 10K for two axles would be cheap. Them crazy offroaders have a different goal in mind. For offroaders the object is usually to push the vehicle to the extreme and generally stock equipment just won't cut the mustard...

But it's all just hobbies and I do both (offroading and MV's) and I'd challenge anyone to truly justify either hobby. Hobbies are just that! Money traded for fun and enjoyment!

SasquatchSanta

I re-read my post and realize I worded it poorly, sorry. Yes, there is a fifth gear that you can get to put in the trans. Tom hasn't been on much, wonder if there was/is a problem. Anyone hear from him recently?
I was all excited about installing a set over a year ago but I think the project died on the vine.

After giving it lits of thought, for a bobbed deuce with oversized tires, I think the ratio that Tom was working with would be too high.

jim-m35a2

also the need to change the way the truck is and has been desined to be run with all related parts brakes and so on, to change is an "opinion, the trucks really are right on target right the way they are, everything could be better one way or another sure, but there is always a loss ,speed no power, power no speed,tires the more u go one way the more u lose the other, there is no magic bullet, and as for the price of the truck ? well the parts end up more than the truck will ever be worth, remember there is an extremly limited market after one dumps a ton in a deuce, if its money U want to spend its all fine, just remember U wont get it back,and the faster U go are U going to ba able to stop, the brakes are nothing to write home about, but are fine for the design... just saying...all the best...Randy
It is a Deuce and was not built for speed. I had to hit the brakes hard at 45 mph and glad I was not going 70 mph or somebody would have died.
________
Marriage advice advice

Last edited:

SEAFIRE

A salesman at Boyce equipment told me that someone was/is making a replacement 5th gear for the 3053 transmission, but my mechanics tell me ( who have rebuilt one of our 3053 transmissions ) that they don't see how just one different 5th gear will work without some other modifications to the transmission.

We've gotten both of our M35A2's with 9.00 X 20's to go 50-55+ MPH fully loaded by doing the following two things:

Replace the "thick" Military air filter with a "slim" air filter from NAPA or Fleetpride, just doing this made a difference we could see instantly.

Make sure your turbo is 100%, when we replaced the "slow" turning "C" turbo on our WO/W with another "C" turbo that had been locally rebuilt at a machine shop, it made a world of difference.

Hope this helps, I'll post the part numbers for the air filters the next time I go to the Station.

tm america

do you remember the part number on that filter i was gonna look into a k&n filter i know the stock filter only flows 410cfm which is restrictive even for a stock motor i have my fuel turned upand 15.5s on there so anything i van do to get more air in there will help greatly