• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 / Spicer 3053 Transmission Pull and Clutch Bearing

nosajb15af

Ok, I looked online for hours for a fours on a transmission pull, and all i found was just people talking about it. So I decided to post one. My throw out bearing took a crap, every time i pushed the clutch it would scream. Turn out it was sized up and consequently i did an entire clutch job because it wore my pressure plate fingers.

Items I used (I may leave some out, sorry)

Rigid impact with 7/16 socket adapter
3/4 wrenches
9/16 wrench
9/16 socket
Pry bar
Flat head screw driver
Engine hoist w/ welded strap come-along

First thing I did was remove the passenger bench and removed the tunnel covers. After the covers are off, use your 3/4 wrenches and unbolt the drive shaft connecting the transmission to the transfer case.
20130616_124537.jpg

Then remove the shifter plate and reinstall the catercorner bolts with the lift eyes. Crawl under the transmission and unbolt the clutch linkage with your 3/4 wrenches, and while your under there drain your oil if you choose. (I didnt because it was new oil). Also remove the lower 9/16 bolts from the bellhousing.
20130616_132237.jpg

Back up top, remove the remaining bellhousing bolts except the top 2, just loosen them. With a pry bar I was able to loosen the transmission from the engine. You might need more persuasion then that depending on your truck. With your engine hoist, position it to support the transmission from the cab.
20130616_161432.jpg20130616_161647.jpg

With proper tension on the transmission, dont bind it, remove the remaining bolts. Slide the transmission back and slowly lower it to the ground making sure not to damage anything in the way.
20130616_161450.jpg20130616_161456.jpg20130616_161541.jpg

Here is the bearing and my lovely damage.
Any questions feel free to ask.
20130616_161918.jpg20130616_161932.jpg

Al Harvey

Nice write up with pictures. I'm actually about to switch out my transmission and like the idea with the hoist and floor crane. I wasn't too sure about lowering it. Again thank you for the write up and pictures.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
as you did, there is a big advantage to pulling the top cover. the trans comes out and back in a lot easier without the rod sticking out the back. also filling with oil is simplified, it holds 5 qts. be careful if you use rope, the trans weighs 225 lbs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change your rear main seal, while the trans if out.

Dipstick

as you did, there is a big advantage to pulling the top cover. the trans comes out and back in a lot easier without the rod sticking out the back. also filling with oil is simplified, it holds 5 qts. be careful if you use rope, the trans weighs 225 lbs.
Tom,
I just filled my transmission with 4 qts. of 50w Lubriplate non-detergent motor oil yesterday. I thought the LO said 8 pints w/o PTO?
Owen

Dipstick

Thanks nosajb. I think I'm going to add an additional 1/2 quart. I have a long, flexible filler tube that makes it easy to do from the master cylinder reservoir door. My transmission does shift better with the engine oil. Although, first up today is new batteries and fan belts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks