• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Starter Relay Relocation

18operator

Hey all,
I was reading some older threads about the starter relay getting warm due to it's location, and not engaging the starter until after it cools down. That's the problem I'm having at the moment.
I was just wondering if any of you relocated the relay to a cooler location under the hood. And if you did, where did you put it?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sometimes the disks get arc spots on them. Take it apart and try cleaning it up with Emory cloth. Be cautious with the dust it is bad for you.

18operator

I will take apart the unit and give it a cleaning. If I do need to replace the relay, where can I find one? Can it be interchanged with a different relay of the same voltage?

74M35A2

Get rid of it completely. Go with a modern starter, they crank just as fast hot as cold, and have the relay built right onto it. They also weigh only 29lbs, and are 1/3 smaller.

74M35A2

I build them from various parts of new ones to fit and work correctly on older applications. PM me for price, they are reasonable.

jasonjc

One of my trucks was missing the relay when I got it. It still does not have it. It seems you may not need it. Just my $.02

rustystud

74m35a2, What starter would you recommend? Part number?
Before you go and buy a new starter, just replace the relay. Any good 24 volt relay will work that can carry the load.
Just got to eBay and type in "heavy duty 24 volt relay" and you will have tons of places to buy one from. If your starter doesn't work after that, there are still several options left.

18operator

I disassembled the relay, cleaned the contacts and relocated it to the frame rail just behind the primary fuel filter and below the air horn. We'll see if that does the job. The truck started and ran. That's a good thing.

Recently tried to start my 66 m35a2 and got nothing after pushing the button, I ordered a new push button and still nothing happened. Tested everything and found that no power was leaving the relay. Read some of the posts about taking it apart and cleaning it and read others about not even needing it. Is there a way to skip the relay and direct wire the push button to the starter?

74M35A2

I have a brand new modern 24v water sealed one, I would be happy to give you. PM me your address, I can ship it out today. Will label each wire for you. You can’t go direct from dash switch to starter, it will burn the dash switch, too much power through the starter solenoid. May work for short term if the crank events are brief, but if you ever need to crank a long time, it will melt the dash switch, possible smoke/fire.

03192E18-E255-4EE9-AF9B-03CF8239D44B.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

It is in the mail heading your way, will PM you the USPS tracking number. Didn't have time to label it so here it is, there are 2 small terminals and 2 large:

One large to constant B+ battery on back of starter solenoid
Other large to starter solenoid signal feed (round can on starter)
One small from dash switch (+ crank signal)
Other small to any ground

You can reverse the two smalls and 2 large terminals, doesn't matter which/which they are all isolated from ground and each other, but don't swap small for large terminal locations.

Included some leads on it and spares, feel free to use or discard them to your liking. Easiest to mount it right on or around your starter if possible. Bracket has 2 mounting holes.

74M35A2

It will work, but not safely or continuously, same as just removing it from the original application.

5 tons still use a relay within the PCB box, even cars do. The solenoid current is too high for a dash switch alone without a relay. Typically no difference between a 2.5T/5T starter beside the nose cone and # of pinion teeth.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter came off an older 5 ton.btw don’t think there was a PCb box. Your mileage may vary

rustystud

Has worked for 5 + years
Your lucky then. Honestly that much current needs it's own relay to be safe. Considering the minimalist attitude of the military when designing and building this truck, if they thought it would be safe to eliminate the starter relay they would have.
But as you say "your mileage may vary" .

74M35A2

If it is a stock starter dash switch, it is exceeding its current rating. This is why the relay was installed from the factory.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks