• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Starting Problem

Big Strapper

I've got a 1983 Deuce with the White 465 multi-fuel engine & am expeiencing some intermittent starting problems. Specifically, sometimes I have to crank the engine for quite a while before it fires. This occurs when the engine is both hot AND cold. Sometimes it fires immediatly, & others I have to crank & crank.

I have replaced the primary & both secondary fuel filters. I have pulled the in-tank pump & it is free from debris. I disconnected the feed line at the tank pump & shoots tons of fuel when the main power is turned on. I disconnected the return line at the tank & when the engine is running plenty of fuel is flowing back to the tank, but not when the engine is off - assume this is because the injector pump has to be turning for fuel to flow? Seems like maybe the fuel is bleeding back to the tank, but I don't know how this could happen, as there are no leaks?

Any suggestions on what else to check or replace appreciated.

Srjeeper

Check your 'Engine Stop' cable.....make sure that it moves the arm on the pump all the way back each time you push it in. Some times the cable will flex if it's rusted or not adjusted correctly at the clamp on the pump.

chris837rj

When the engine is off and the master on you should be able to hear a dribble of fuel running back into the tank through the return line. If you cant then there is a problem with the fuel reaching the IP then the excess going back to the tank. Did you check all three fuel filters? It does have three right? Let me go look at mine.

kurtkds

Mine will do the same thing. What I've found is that the poly tubes between the injectors are starting to leak. When the system is shut down fuel leaks out and air enters the fuel system. I think that my starting issues will go away once I replace all the old poly tubing.

BTW

I tried replacing all 3 filters first and the stop cable first. that didn't solve the starting problem but I got more performance after wards.

ccequipment

Your proably getting air in the return lines like the above response. Normally it will only affect it if it sits for a few hours or more, unless you have a big leak, check all the return lines in the system back to the tank, more than likely you are getting air in somwhere.

clpo

Mine does the same, but also stumbles-dies after you get off the throttle/push in the clutch when coming to a stop. Same causes??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks